• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Sorry for the posting updates! it seems my email has been acting up and not keeping up on my subscription i put in this thread and never emailed me back.

hm, why did i drop down? i read through and it doesnt say why i dropped.

Anyways, ill contiune to check in...If my email will update my subscription!!

Thanks
ColorHost

Last edited:
Colorhost

Hi Colorhost.

You got a bit of a false bump while the status was being thrashed out. You are essentially tied with Lost Signal and Seraphim Labs as a Round 3 entrant. Since this is a time-lapse durability test, all three of you are starting about 7 months behind my two stars on top. Brand new hosts seem to have milestone markers at 4 and then that 7 months.

I grew tired all at once recently as the results seem to be solidifying. It was important to make this an opt-in project, and I remain unhappy that so few did, compared to the thundering quantity of generic ads posted on the next thread over.

I will make a prediction. Shortly after someone with more energy than I aggresively makes a chart grouped by Years-In-Service, Some 25 hosts will rise to the top and experience a surge of new clients. The 200 other newcomers will then face the tough question "why should I pick you if you're only going to be here 6 months?" The other toll that takes is on client-host friendships.

You're a good guy. Really, my study was supposed to be ridiculously easy. Don't croak. I hope you make it past the 7 month mark to join the ranks of stable hosts.

I have been opened for a year and that year i was mostly all free hosting.

And i am always here like some people no affence to some.

I appolgise for not being here often though seems like ymail was behind on subscription emails.

Thanks
ColorHost

Hi Colorhost.

You got a bit of a false bump while the status was being thrashed out. You are essentially tied with Lost Signal and Seraphim Labs as a Round 3 entrant. Since this is a time-lapse durability test, all three of you are starting about 7 months behind my two stars on top. Brand new hosts seem to have milestone markers at 4 and then that 7 months.

I grew tired all at once recently as the results seem to be solidifying. It was important to make this an opt-in project, and I remain unhappy that so few did, compared to the thundering quantity of generic ads posted on the next thread over.

I will make a prediction. Shortly after someone with more energy than I aggresively makes a chart grouped by Years-In-Service, Some 25 hosts will rise to the top and experience a surge of new clients. The 200 other newcomers will then face the tough question "why should I pick you if you're only going to be here 6 months?" The other toll that takes is on client-host friendships.

You're a good guy. Really, my study was supposed to be ridiculously easy. Don't croak. I hope you make it past the 7 month mark to join the ranks of stable hosts.

I may not have advertised on this forum, but I've been hosting since late 2008.

I currently have 21 customers spread between VPSes, shared hosting, dedicated servers and game servers, and everything is still lightning fast and stable.

I got my own server (I was sharing one before in exchange for managing it) on April 26 2009, and I've been doing this all on my own since then.

Last edited:
Well then! You two may have a chance then! Seraphim did me the courtesy of announcing his green beginnings, so that's quite fine, and that means my board is roughly in the right order.

Well then! You two may have a chance then! Seraphim did me the courtesy of announcing his green beginnings, so that's quite fine, and that means my board is roughly in the right order.

I was also wondering why the buttons lead to the control panels instead of the sites.

Mine is http://www.seraphimlabs.net

Either way good to see the board populated, even if Paradox and co is still down.

Also I noticed not all of the versions are in sync. Colorhost still does not have Lost Signal or Seraphim buttons on it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah, that's the default page if there's no index page, and for whatever reason there is no index page at the moment. Maybe Tao is working on his site or something, his files are there though. There's just no index.whatever file

http://taophoenix.lostsignalweb.com/ReVision.html

The page itself appears to be ^there

Yeah. The page is very much there, just TaoPhoenix doesn't have an index.html or index.php in any of the accounts.

If you try mine, the test index.php from /etc/skel on my server is still visible, since it is copied to all new accounts to verify that everything is working and kind of 'park' the site until it gets content.

It would make sense to use a placeholder index file to redirect to the actual content, but this could also be on purpose to see what hosts redirect the site to error pages or other tests that can only be made on a site with no index.

And yeah. I'll be hitting one year in the business in August. So it'd be interesting to see if I can come close to the capability of the veterans.

Also, a quick note here:

I'm gonna have a spot of downtime late tonight (at least past midnight PDT) to perform some minor maintenance, I'm mainly going to perform and rsync our backups of the most important stuff tonight. This is mainly getting ready for moving to the new hardware we're going to be getting soon (upgrade to memory, motherboard and moving to hardware virtualization to increase security and efficiency on the shared server)

Sync

I was also wondering why the buttons lead to the control panels instead of the sites.

Mine is http://www.seraphimlabs.net

Either way good to see the board populated, even if Paradox and co is still down.

Also I noticed not all of the versions are in sync. Colorhost still does not have Lost Signal or Seraphim buttons on it.

Good questions Seraphim. The answers relate to my particular handling, and I am sure there are other styles.

1. The Buttons to Panels was a shortcut I took because while everything is in flux I need quick access to the panels to upload things. I was also doing a big design change in the middle so that saved a ton of time. Soon enough the bars will go to the main pages and one of my computer pages will have the login links out of the way.

2. The sync thing was a strategic move. Consider for a moment the recent board turnovers. The FWS thread here is the governor of the project, so whatever link I posted here is active at that time. For example while we were chatting in messages that meant Lost Signal had the best known copy.

Sync is a behind-scenes activity that doesn't appear to anyone else except rabid detail experts and the hosts themselves. This method gives me some time to keep the project updates posted quickly, then "texturize" behind the scenes.

3. Future design changes.

A more important case is that the page as I'm sure y'all have noticed, doesn't in fact have any content in it! It's more a learning hands-on medium for me about basic web concepts as anything for public consumption. So, there will always be about two hosts with wildly differing copies. I'm not sure yet which of you will end up on lead, but it's as much damage control as anything... if I completely squash it, the other hosts have stable points to recover from!

There is a joke from Linus Torvalds, inventor of Linux: "Wimps make backups. Men make mirrors and let other people keep the backups!" Read things like the Firefox dev notes sometime. If I don't veer off track, there would be three versions, like "last best-version snapshot as backup, current best improvements, and wild experiments".

Yeah, that's the default page if there's no index page, and for whatever reason there is no index page at the moment. Maybe Tao is working on his site or something, his files are there though. There's just no index.whatever file

The page itself appears to be ^there

I'm open to feedback on this. I understood an index may be useful for search engines, or "people who want to see all the files". But I'm not exactly enthused with people jumping around from a file list, so I start with a jump page. Only this year I changed the "branding" of the jump page to ReVision.

Wouldn't an index page list everything on the server? The reason I ask for modest amounts of space is that unused files are on tap as desired, but only what you can access starting from the ReVision page is the "authorized version".

Meanwhile, if Seraphim has about a year up too, then that was one of my emerging criteria for round 3, so I can now enforce it more - I still have a slot but I'd prefer the entrant have a year in business.

Last edited:
I'm open to feedback on this. I understood an index may be useful for search engines, or "people who want to see all the files". But I'm not exactly enthused with people jumping around from a file list, so I start with a jump page. Only this year I changed the "branding" of the jump page to ReVision.

Wouldn't an index page list everything on the server? The reason I ask for modest amounts of space is that unused files are on tap as desired, but only what you can access starting from the ReVision page is the "authorized version".

Meanwhile, if Seraphim has about a year up too, then that was one of my emerging criteria for round 3, so I can now enforce it more - I still have a slot but I'd prefer the entrant have a year in business.

No, an index page is simply the "default" page of a site, if you place the word hi into index.html in your public_html directory, http://taophoenix.lostsignalweb.com/ would say hi, it doesnt list the directories, it's simply the home page.

Seanie, I'm getting some not found messages this morning. I thought last night I posted everything right. Any ideas?

Round 3 Stable

Okay, I've posted some of the basic supplies pages to the newer hosts, and barring goofs, the front page of the new hosts has sales pages now, while the logins are a couple levels down in the computer section.

http://taophoenix.colorhost.net/ReVision.html
http://taophoenix.seraphimlabs.net/ReVision.html

(I am using the other pair of hosts to hold the legacy copies so I can glance at whatever progress the troubled hosts may be making.)

Remember, hosts are encouraged to post notes of trouble spots, because it's better to be proactive than have someone here call you on it.

Otherwise, we enter the waiting period, where we just hang loose and Do Stuff.

Back