• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

I wonder what happened to Paradox. Not a word from them since the outage, they must have had something fairly major happen. At least one of the resellers reported in that they are attempting to transplant services to a VPS just to maintain presence.

At least one of the resellers reported in that they are attempting to transplant services to a VPS just to maintain presence.

Are you referring to me? I don't have a VPS powerful enough to run all the sites that I was hosting. I just have my sites on the VPS.

What's your offer? My point was if you're nervous that you don't have that much on hand, offer it anyway. I load my site spread asynchronously depending on each site's capacities.

What's your offer? My point was if you're nervous that you don't have that much on hand, offer it anyway. I load my site spread asynchronously depending on each site's capacities.

I think he meant he just had his business pages posted up, so he could give status info, which is the first step to damage control.

I gathered he couldn't host any of his clients without severe slowdowns, and I'm thinking it's better to just say service is down than make clients put with with snail pace loading.

This doesnt effect your server Tao, but i am posting ALL Updates on servers :)

Server Axiom is having high apache issues, we are fixing it.

Thanks
ColorHost

Weren't there a lot more hosts in your list at the start? I would've accepted your offer to be put up there, but then I'd feel like a ---- by outlasting the competition :\

Join the fun and take your best shot Schmarvin!
You are one of the clarion examples of someone who learned fro
a bad bump.

What's becoming apparent is that we have both commercial
and personal providers here. As a client I see roles for both
but my usage strategy would be different. Put technically, I grew frustrated
with entities who obscured their volatility.

The top of my board shows two companies who have so far delivered on their claims.
The bottom half shows new-to-me entrants. Except for a few admonishments against snarking, I let the hosts Do Their Thing.

So far in my rough vision I forsee entities offering service under a category.
Commercial, Personal/NonCommercial, and especially startup k
learners. I'd load a fun small page on the learner sites, and look to the commercial guys for my master page .

Everyone has bad luck but there seems to be an accelerating roster of newcomers and I for one got thoroughly lost simply selecting a host based on features.

One of these years I will actually fill put the page with articles and by then I need to know the host won't melt under 1000 page hits. Or vanish to become a dead link.

So you are safe from "feeling bad for lasting" because in the commercial category, ... you are supposed to last! Entities operating in the learner category can just hope their best is enough without much risk of backlash .

This doesnt effect your server Tao, but i am posting ALL Updates on servers :)

Server Axiom is having high apache issues, we are fixing it.

Thanks
ColorHost

Post away Colorhost! It's another step in the process of getting full circle communications with the hosts. Notice also we are emerging as a wholly new type of thread, from the single issue ones that finish out in a week or so.

Ideally the hosts can learn a bit from each other. I liked the upstream issues discussion.

When you get a minute think of a phrase to label announcements as directly affecting the client page or backend.

(I am posting from my phone so I apologize for funny typos).

My top two most hit websites on the same shared server your site is on get a little more than 2 million and a couple hundred thousand hits respectfully per month. The #1 site that makes the millions of hits pays me back in their bandwidth costs through heavy advertising (they go through hundreds of gigabytes of traffic, (~300 GB on average, 450 on their worst month.) a month.) Adsense has recorded about 690,000 impressions since I was last paid. This system has been measured by my bandwidth provider transferring nearly 4 TB of data since December, (4,036 GB to be exact) and we've survived a few distributed denial of service attacks on a couple of websites. Some of those "bad bumps" have costed me quite a penny in overage fees.

Here's my bandwidth graph since I had the cacti service enabled on my port in September.

125qpvp.png
(I guess I don't have the ability to use img tags)

This graph is swapped, Outbound is traffic outbound the router, to my server, and vice versa, inbound is inbound to the router from my server.

Those big blue spikes are DDoS attacks, it sits low at only 5 mbit, due to the average of the traffic usually being below it, but the biggest spike was at least 200 mbit/sec. Costed me 24 GB of bandwidth every two minutes. That's an install of Windows 7 every minute.

I have a great relationship with my networking provider, so it fortunately all works out.

Lesson learned is to always prepare with a lot more bandwidth or the money on hand for it.

Edit:

http://i41.tinypic.com/dxzkec.png

This is what I got the last time I ran Webalizer on that #1 domain, I actually had to disable it because their access logs were getting up into tens of gigabytes, making generating webalizer take way too long. Actually, I'm not sure about whether or not this webalizer is 100% accurate, not sure about 700,000 hits a day. If this webalizer is right this site gets more like 20,000,000 hits. a month. But I don't know how accurate it is compared to Google Analytics or some other alternative.

The uniqs number a month sounds a bit more accurate though. I know this place gets a fair bit of google traffic, at least 5,000 impressions a day.

Last edited:
I know, no fun industry can be left in peace without someone coming along to analyze things. But I'm just looking for a Few Good Hosts. I'm hoping this far side of round 3 goes well so I can get past the hello stage to my hosts.

Something else may have happened. I can't load the colorhost pages.

Noticed this thread updated and thought I'd let you know, there might have been some glitchiness tonight, We found a really obscure power management issue that had messed up the CPU frequency, Everything should be a bit quicker, if you can believe that, :p

Colorhost seems back. Do lots of hosts do 7AM maintenance?

For hosts serving primarially America and Europe, 3AM-8AM EST is generally the day's lowest loads. So it's a good idea to do maintenance then that way fewer customers are disrupted than doing it at say 9PM when the bulk of the day's traffic is being processed.

I tend to do mine closer to 3AM, since by 7AM I am either sound asleep or trying to be.

Weren't there a lot more hosts in your list at the start? I would've accepted your offer to be put up there, but then I'd feel like a ---- by outlasting the competition :\

I'm all for running along side the big boys. Set the standards for the newer companies to work towards.

Last edited:
No, it was DataCenter issue...somthing WAY beyond my control.

I might move off of my provider, Infinite.

Usally there really good at uptime on there side..., but now it seems everything has been going faulty on Green server.

Thanks and sorry again
ColorHost

Last edited:
It seems to be up and normal now,Not FULLY up...But Normal.

They Seemed to experince some issues on some stuff, which they hopefully have fixed soon.

PS: How would this go against me in the Competition? I did stay in contact etc...so i dont know how this would effect me, feel free to clear me up.

Thanks
ColorHost

Last edited:
Back