• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Babblehost down again?

This is a pity, they were rock solid for over a year, now I'm getting another blip from Babblehost. Unfortunately they don't seem to be around to report in the thread so that's putting them dangerously on the edge.

Hello, Tao,

Please plan on putting us on your list in a couple of years as well :) We are now offering Direct Admin, by the way.

Monitor Level !?

Hello, Tao,

Please plan on putting us on your list in a couple of years as well :) We are now offering Direct Admin, by the way.

Hallo!

Depending on what your verb tense means, did you mean "in a couple of years when I open up new slots?" Heh - it's too hard to think that far out! But I was pondering a new option. If you want to be part of the "Monitored" group that I don't have a full account with, I can make you a dashboard button that you host, where I wouldn't need any real space. That would count as longevity credit at some point in the future if enough slots did open up to lead me to add new hosts again.

But remember the crucial rule of the thread - in return for the modest visibility on my board, you're supposed to report problems, and I go hard on hosts who are all pleasant at the sales side and slither away when trouble strikes!

Make Your Choice. (Saw)

Copies Synched

Since the results seem to be stable again, the front pages of my spread are synched now.

Now it comes down to which hosts I want to use as "experimental" planning pages before I push the results out to synch again.

Hello, Tao,

I believe this would be a good endeavor for both of us. Let's do it :) We have no problem alerting freewebspace.net users when problems arise.

Decker Services Info

Well, a little background about myself and my company. I began designing websites in 1998 and I offered hosting back then as well, but only as a reseller for another company.

In 2000, I purchased my first dedicated server and began the full time hosting operation under the DBA: DeepList PC Services using the domain deeplist.com, which is now only a redirect. This had went on for about 6 years and then I decided that it would be best to market the services under a new name and new domain, which is when I decided to begin "Decker Services" and use deckerservices.com and I have been doing so for the last 5 years. The company has grown a lot since then and as a result, we're now a fully licensed LLC in the state of Indiana doing business under Decker Services LLC, no longer a sole proprietorship.

Collectively, I have had an online presense since 1998 and have been offering hosting solutions on my own equipment since 2000. As you can see, I've been a member on these forums for nearly as long.

As with any hosting provider, we've had occasional downtime due to errors, or hardware failures, but over the last 2.5 years, we've maintained an average uptime of 99.98 percent. NOT 99% or even 99.9% but 99.98%. Customer service is #1. We have a phone number for phone support. Forums and tickets for online support. If you want to run a business, your customers are what MAKE you. They're not just numbers! People do not seem to get that!

In regards to your thread here, I've read over a good portion of it, not all. I understand your study and I think it's really beneficial to the community to help raise the awareness for deadbeat hosts and kiddies who don't have a clue. Is it possible for a kid to run a hosting business? Yes it is. In 1998, I was only 12 years old. I got my first RedHat 7.2 server when I was only 14. It's possible, but the vast majority of these people these days just don't have a clue. It makes all of us look horrible and destroys the shared hosting industry.

</rant>
I'm done.

I shall use this post to refresh why he/they earned the DarkHorse slot.

I just got some very fast support today.

(positive) Update on Babblehost

Personally, I thought Babblehost folded ages ago. How do you get free hosting over there? Did they ever actually go live or has it been behind the scenes this entire time?

They had a couple of blips, and probably forgot the thread-report rule, but otherwise they're still in the spread as approx. tied for 4-5.

Retesting the file uploader on my control panel right now. I just installed the latest version, perhaps it will help.

FTP uploads are working though, most CMSs and forum cores are uploaded that way for efficiency.

Edit: Okay, the bug is repeatable. Although it is working anyway, the files are uploading into place. Just it glitches after each upload and doesn't refresh the folder. Probably a bug in the java, I'll see what I can find.

Last edited:
Options for Alumni and new hosts - Monitoring and Pre-Processor

Hallo everyone.

Borrowing on previous hints, I have worked out some details for a second level of my project. I shall call it "Monitoring" status. It would be a 100meg account, which is enough to hold a version of my jump page and a couple of misc items, but I do not intend to fully synch all my content.

This is a chance for both alumni who have learned a couple of things since their entry here, as well as some newer hosts who need to gain proven uptime. The hosts would still be required to report problems in the thread in return for the modest visibility, although they will have fewer points of slack if problems start to occur than the five remaining winners of the classic contest. It will be a different colored dash bar than the standard survey.

Oniscorp is (may be) the first to try this option.

Based on my previous ideas posted here, I am also looking in another category for volunteer hosts who can pre-process clients by serving as a temporary host before they are handed off as "vetted" clients to another host who may offer fuller services but does not wish to be flooded with junk signups. Those pre-processor hosts would get a different bar color as well.

Monitoring New Hosts

Hallo gang.

I have started my next level, which is lower level "Monitoring" accounts for new hosts. This is the obvious followup to my now nearly completed study.

Take a look at this board.
http://taophoenixmonitoring.dontgetcaughtwithoutone.com/ReVisionWhiteMobile.html

New hosts are truly "as is". I'll be a bit more lenient with the entries, since "there is no guarantee". However, I believe requiring hosts to "Opt In" will still filter out the worst of the fly by nights. People can try these new hosts out. Some might turn out just as good as the winners. The main difference now is time - no newly entered host can catch up on the two-year lead of the winners.

Logistically, I also don't intend to fully synch to these new hosts. They'll only get shortened jump pages and misc testing items.

Say Hello to Don't Get Caught Without One for the first Monitored host!
(My page code is a little strange - it doesn't link yet to a sales page, so that will have to be some other day.)

Last edited:
DGCWO info for clients

You folks do a good job starting off with a clean design. Clients will want to know a few other things too.

Do you self-rate as allowing adult content?
"Copyright 2011 kbbam". Who is that?
What is the max file size allowed?
And my favorite, how long can a client go dormant before you begin considering deletion? I'd recommend taking no action any faster than 1 year.

Babblehost in trouble?

I'm getting outages from Babblehost again. Presuming it's not just me, that's becoming too many outages for them to keep their place on the list.

They might reappear, but it seems they don't talk much on the board lately either, and that goes against my reporting rule.

Here is the new board.

http://taophoenixmonitoring.dontgetcaughtwithoutone.com/ReVisionWhiteMobile.html

A couple of notes:
cWahi doesn't report, so they got docked a couple points when they had their outage last week, but otherwise they've been pretty good.
Seraphim has had longer troubles, but he's followed the reporting guidelines perfectly.

Last edited:
host taophoenix.babblehost.com
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

His server may still be standing, but his DNS is unresponsive. I don't like the looks of it, since there are a number of reasons that a DNS server will be unresponsive.

Haven't located any news feeds from him thus far that we could use to figure out what happened either. I'll keep searching, since a lot of hosts keep a twitter or facebook feed active during outages.

After reading through - some - of this I hope your not detracting any hosts from their business of serving clients rather than pandering to you.

Honestly this is ridiculous unless you even take the time to make a nice (that is something after the 1980's Geocities sites) site to report, disappointed in you Tao, if anyone was to get feedback from this thread they would have to read through 56 pages so far.

Your not giving anyone a chance to actually do the job, just leaving it open to a 'murder mystery night', seeing this I'd dump you and run and not care that your providing feedback - your too high maintenance and dumb blond combined.

Please let the hosts go!

You folks do a good job starting off with a clean design. Clients will want to know a few other things too.

Do you self-rate as allowing adult content?
"Copyright 2011 kbbam". Who is that?
What is the max file size allowed?
And my favorite, how long can a client go dormant before you begin considering deletion? I'd recommend taking no action any faster than 1 year.

Hello. Thank you for the complement. Not sure what you mean by "self-rate", but yes we do allow adult content. "kbbam" is the man who designed the style of the site you are currently viewing. We are actually in the middle of negotiations with a new designer, and it will look much more professional. Max filesize is currently 50mb. We don't have any hard limits for inactive accounts; we always try to contact the client whenever possible. I will not guarantee you a 1 year idle account. Please let us know if you would like to know anything else :)

Survey Rules

...Not sure what you mean by "self-rate", but yes we do allow adult content.... We don't have any hard limits for inactive accounts; we always try to contact the client whenever possible. I will not guarantee you a 1 year idle account.

"Self Rate" is my phrase for a declaration by the host that adult content is allowed, because it's a tricky enough subject squabbles happen when hosts think they're running a PG service and happen to glance at a sample client page in a review.

However, I will stand firm on the times. What you'll see is that I wait several months between synchs and yours will be more because it's a truncated page, which is why I reduced the space needs to 100 megs. My focus of the project is to provide public verification of "typical user experience" verifying host longevity. So one of the tricks hosts used to do was set really agressive countdown timers and boot users for not logging in every 30-60-90 days. I suggested 1 year as a round figure as a far edge outlier.

Your host bar is a "live dashboard bar" that I see ten times a day because it's a feature of my jump page to the net. This is basically a "no news is good news" test. If you have maintenance for more than about ten minutes you're required especially as a new host to report a note here. The reason is that when a new host starts to fail, they begin to blip, and that shows up as a dead dashbar link. You do NOT want me to beat you to the news because besides the penalties on my rating scale (which are sharper for new hosts!), you then have to deal with the FWS gang.

I purposely do not run scripts hoping to catch numerical anomalies. So if you do maintenance at 4:48 am I MIGHT not catch it, but I'm a night owl, so it's Russian Roulette with your reputation. Even if it goes all to hell and you drop your server on the floor, just say so. Reporting a beautifully stupid blunder always rates less than "vanishing".

I will not tolerate any clever metrics "You didn't log in to your account so we nuked you". My laziness at syncronizations has zero bearing on watching you like a hawk! :) Just look at Babblehost - they were doing fine, had about three bad blips in a row, and *didn't report news*. Seraphim got pulverized by some bad news but *he reported in* so he's still here.

Back