• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Tiny laptop

notnamed

/fws/
NLC
When I initially heard about these Eee PCs, and even when I saw one for the first time, I didn't figure I'd want one. But then we had a competition at work where the prize was an Eee PC, and I decided that, in fact, I did want one. And I won it. And here it is, in comparison size-wise to my 17" widescreen laptop. Please excuse cell phone camera pictures.

comparison1.jpg

comparison2.jpg

If you've never heard of the Eee PC, it's basically the consumer version of the OLPC. Tiny laptop that runs a custom Linux distribution but is actually highly customizable for the hardware it has. I'm waiting for the SD card I ordered to come in so I can install Windows XP on it and "dual boot."

I have one (it's black though), I never use it.

I'm planning on installing XP sometime and then using it at school for note-taking etc. Get some use out of it.

I've seen these before, I would get one, but I just couldn't stand having a monitor that small.

It's not as bad as you'd think. Just fullscreen everything. I'm browsing FWS now, and while there's an hscroll, the posts fit comfortably into the screen. Plus they have the 9" screen model now, my boss has one.

I like the eee actually, not a bad littel unit, but not the first of its kind thats for sure.
Check out the Toshiba Libretto. Its roughly the size of the eee and came out in what 1999?
Also theres a kickass lil Celeron from a company called ASTONE. $400 and its better than the eee :p

My friend has that... I don't really like it because the keyboard is too small :D Not really comfortable for me. :D

I actually wouldn't mind buying one. My current laptop doesn't fit well on the desks in most lecture rooms at uni.

Image was to big :p
Small yes?

Here is my unboxing of mine

Unboxing

Shortly after getting it I upgraded to XP with some hacked drivers so I could have a higher resolution and then just recently I switched over to Asutray and it allows a resolution that I like of 900x540

I would get one of those just as an "odd" purchase, but I wouldn't think my next PC is a Asus.
Usefull though if you can find a hotspot, or if you have mobile broadband.
(I've tried taking my VAIO to town with me once, not again anytime soon :()

[x10]Brandon;996477 said:
That thing is wicked small, I'd probably end up braking it somehow.

They are really durable

I have dropped mine off my desk a couple times and it still works great

I would get one of those just as an "odd" purchase, but I wouldn't think my next PC is a Asus.
Usefull though if you can find a hotspot, or if you have mobile broadband.
(I've tried taking my VAIO to town with me once, not again anytime soon :()

Or just good for a bit of War Driving :D

Probably 2-4 hours Hamster. I really want one of those, diddy little machines appeal to me, sooo cute having a PC half, if not 3/4 the size of my monitor :p

I'll probably buy one when it improves until the stage where I can run high end 3D games on it. :D

I love the fact it can hold Vista on it! I could imagine plugging in my external hard drive to it, the power and files on it would blow the laptop in half :lol:

The big thing about the EeePC above other small form factor laptops is that it natively runs Debian-based Linux with built-in wireless support. That works. That and the huge hacking community it has. Which, of course, was definitely encouraged by the Debian-based Linux thing.

Back