• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

unmetered

JJW

NLC
NLC
The rule against unmetered bandwidth should be lifted as there are many of us now that can offer it.

i think it should not be lifted, but we should revise it.
example, those who wanted to offer unmetered bandwidth, they should stated properly the port is capped on wat speed. even better, also stating the host node(if VPS) bandwidth limit.

by this way, users will know that they do have bandwidth limit for the service they purchase, and not thinking that they are having unlimited bandwidth.

We do allow it as long as there is a clear bandwidth cap. Only with Dedicated though.

so deeplist i was correct unmetered is allowed for dedicated servers. When it comes you just have to state wether it is 10/100/100 unmetered

There is a difference between unmetered and unlimited.

Of Course you can't have unlimited resources at some point there is a "stop".

Unmetered means it isn't measured.. the bandwidth is not measured during the month of service.

Unmetered and Unlimited do not and should not mean the same thing.

just saying,

Adam

There is a difference between unmetered and unlimited.

Of Course you can't have unlimited resources at some point there is a "stop".

Unmetered means it isn't measured.. the bandwidth is not measured during the month of service.

Unmetered and Unlimited do not and should not mean the same thing.

just saying,

Adam

a lot of users do not know about this.
wat they think is, unmetered means unlimited to them.
this is the reason why it is necessary to remind them that unmetered and unlimited means different thing
:)

so deeplist i was correct unmetered is allowed for dedicated servers. When it comes you just have to state wether it is 10/100/100 unmetered

But you might want to check and make sure that it applies to VPS as well. Technically, VPS are not dedicated servers.

So what is the difference between unmetered shared/reseller/vps hosting and a dedicated server?

Nothing....... if you are not going to allow unmetered..then it should be for all hosting products.

The definition of unmetered is the same regardless of hosting product.

Adam

So what is the difference between unmetered shared/reseller/vps hosting and a dedicated server?

Nothing....... if you are not going to allow unmetered..then it should be for all hosting products.

The definition of unmetered is the same regardless of hosting product.

Adam

Adam,

I agree with the technical definition of unmetered being the same across all hosting products. However, I think the intent of the rule in the case of FWS has to do with the financial sustainability of said products - namely, a dedicated server has higher margins built into the price, so it is more feasible for a host to offer unmetered bandwidth on an ongoing basis than with a low-margin product like shared hosting or VPS.

If you are not going to allow unmetered..then it should be for all hosting products. The definition of unmetered is the same regardless of hosting product.

That is the point that I have been trying to make this whole time. Now they're trying to bend the rules saying that unmetered is okay as long as there's a cap imposed on the server's uplink port? Every hosting product, whether shared, reseller, vps, dedi or otherwise is on SOME server with a port that is capped, 10/100/1000.... so where do you draw the line?

The issue here is that people are arguing over the technical definitions of unmetered vs unlimited. The bottom line is... advertising unmetered and unlimited offers are nothing more than marketing strategies aimed towards uneducated people who think bigger is better. Nothing more.

I have to disagree, Unlimited/Unmetered is not targeting the uneducated but eliminating potential support troubles or loss of sales.

I will use databases as the example for unlimited.
Any good programmer knows that all you NEED is one database, and you use prefix's on your table names. So with this one database you could install 19 Wordpress blogs, 3 ecommerce sites, 2 Joomla sites. However
why go over the coding hiccups, or database potential problems, or just say "hey just create another database!" Really what is the difference having one database that is 100MB's in size or 10 at 10MB's?

In my experience and this is not the end all, the avg website is under 250MB's the avg databases is 2 - 3, the avg emails is under 10, avg bandwidth less then a few GB's. So yes as a business man, why the heck would I say to the public "I know how much you really need and I am going to to tell you how to do your site." or would I say hey if you need 10 emails, or 20 take them we don't care, as we don't count the number you have.

Take your bandwidth rant, I advertise unmetered bandwidth on my shared, reseller, and vps products. Right next to the word Unmetered is a *, and at the bottom of that page is clean readable text is the following statement.

* Unmetered bandwidth for Shared accounts is in reference to unlimited traffic under 3Mbps. The servers will allow bursts of data to exceed 3Mbps, but not to exceed two hours in one day. This is designed for sites that receive traffic in bursts or streams, or have been recently announced in public forums and have a sudden, but temporary, amount of unusually large traffic. Our unmetered bandwidth package is designed for the website who’s traffic is NOT sustained over 3MBps. If a site is found to be generating a constant bandwidth usage of 3MBps or more, the website will need to be upgraded

So by those numbers I am really limiting my customers to about 1TB of traffic. However why make a big deal out of it as 90% of the shared market does not understand how much traffic their website does NOT use, why loose that sale?

Charles I respect your business model your upfront and tell people that hey if you want more then X number of services we are not your company, and that is great, but at the end of the day its your business model, and again my personal opinion using the word Unlimited or Unmetered is not a lie but a new way to express or say the phrase "We don't bother to count the number of emails, databases, bandwidth, domains, subdomains, etc."

End Rant.

When I say, "Advertising unmetered and unlimited offers are nothing more than marketing strategies aimed towards uneducated people who think bigger is better." You're further proving my point when you mention this:

Why make a big deal out of it as 90% of the shared market does not understand how much traffic their website does NOT use, why loose that sale?

By the way, in your footnote explaination of what "unmetered" is defined as, the word who's should be changed to whose.

unmetered bandwidth is good it is not a bad thing. Saying unlimited space now i see a problem with. but unmetered bandwidth is not the same.

So basically this comes back to a matter of overselling and whether it's ethical or not.

Typical dedicated servers have a few TB of bandwidth allocated to them each month by the datacenter. You say, "So by those numbers I am really limiting my customers to about 1TB of traffic." What if 4 or 5 of your clients decide to take their "unmetered" bandwidth and use it to its full potential? As a result, your datacenter will shut down your box(es) for overuse. Unlikely, but still possible, is it not? So is it ethical to tell your customers that they have "unmetered" bandwidth KNOWING that they have no understanding of what that really means? Knowing that they'll ignore your footnote as most people fail to read them (along with the TOS.) Knowing that THEIR understanding of unmetered and unlimited is the same thing?

Last edited:
@deeplist, you make a lot of assumptions. I don't have a single server in my racks that is not connected to an unmetered uplink. When I say unmetered uplink in my case I am paying for more then 1 1GB feeds to the net, where my only limitation is that 1Gbps port speed. I have never been shut down for to much bandwidth usage EVER. This includes several TV stations we host and stream their shows to the tune of more then 100TB's of bandwidth a month.

Let me ask you this question, I have looked at your site/plans what happens if 4 - 5 of your clients use 100% of the resources you offer them? Do you panic, raise an eyebrow, or go "Hey that's what they are paying for, and we setup our services to handle this." What is the difference? We know our hardware and our network limits, and trust me if I had a few clients that chewed up 1 or 2 TB's a month I could honestly care less. My largest client had a massive unplanned surge in their traffic 3 months ago pushing 5TB's a day, we did not blink, I know my network and what I can do with it.

Now with that very last point. You and I have been doing this for what 12 years, as I to started in 98. We are not some 14 year old kid with a hostgator reseller account, but years of blood, sweat,and tears into our companies. Hundreds of Thousands of dollars a month to keep things floating. Hell I spend more then $2,000 a month just on licenses which is way more then many of these kids spend in two years on everything.

You are right, the word Unlimited and Unmetered if not spelled out is deceiving but at the end of the day what is really the difference between saying Unlimited MySQL Databases then saying 99999 MySQL Databases.

Good Day

Please understand, I am not attacking you personally OR your services. This appears to just be a heated thread.

In regards to your question of "what happens if 4 - 5 of your clients use 100% of the resources you offer them?" Well... that simply will not happen because once the client reaches 80% of their allocated resources, notices are sent out to: the client, my staff and myself personally. We then contact the client immediately and find out what their take is on this situation and then formulate a solution. In regards to us, we have a client to server ratio and we NEVER allocate more than 80% of the server's physical resources out. Meaning... if the box has 4 TB of bandwidth allocated to it each month, once we allocate 3.2 TB out to the end users, the box is considered to be "maxed out" at that point. The same goes for hard disk space. This leaves some wiggle room for unexpected things to take place. Or, in the event that EVERY SINGLE person on the server unexpectedly uses 100% of their resources, the box is technically only 80% "used" so to speak.

You and I both know in reality that will never happen. There may only be 1 or 2 "trouble" users that make full use of what's provided to them and then you deal with them on a per user basis.

I feel this goes beyond what you're capable of handling, or what your network is physically able to withstand and still remain within limits. This goes into the realm of whether unmetered bandwidth is considered false advertising, or not.

I agree, and I don't feel that your attacking me directly, I just happen to one of the few people responding back to you.

I 100% agree with you on the planning your hardware / client ratios to still allow all customers to use what they paid for if needed. However you bring up a very interesting point that is over promising which to me and again this is only a personal opinion is that if I am paying $4.95/month and I am told I get 2GB's of Disk Space, and 500GB's of transfer, well darn it I better be able to use it.

I honestly think that both points and terminology has its place right now in the hosting industry. The sad part is the two words Unlimited, and Unmetered are often used incorrectly or so oversold that is just not funny.

Oh well all is good, and the world will continue to spin today.

Thanks,
Anthony

Back