• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

up-sell rant

iBrightDev

Jay Street
NLC
NLC
ok, so, im tired of people trying to up-sell me whenever i try to buy anything now days. see example below...

so this morning i just want to buy some coffee and milk at the local corner store so i can have a wake me up with some cereal. mind you that the corner store milk is never really good for more than a few days for some reason, so, all i want is 1 gallon for the rest of the week. so, i go to the counter to pay and the cashier asks if i want to get a second gallon for just $0.50 more. i say, "no, thats ok, i just need the one." then she asks if i want a donut to go with my coffee and milk. all i can think in my head is "NO B!TCH, IM FAT, YOU REALLY THINK MY FAT A$$ NEEDS A DAMN DONUT. IF I WANTED A DONUT, I WOULD HAVE GRABBED ONE. IM ON A DIET HOE!" but, instead i just shake my head and say, no thanks, this will be it. then, i finally pay and think im in the clear of all questions, and she is handing me my changes, and i plan to donate my coin change to the little coin box for charity, and she asks me if i want to donate my coin. at that point, just to make her feel stupid and be an a$s myself, i wanted to say, "no, you know what, i was going to till you decided to be pushy and ask me, why dont you just let me decide for myself instead of putting me on the spot hoe?", but now, i just smile and say, "yeah, here ya go"

so, yeah, that is just story one. these up-sell things just really burn my ---. feel free to share any of your annoying up-sell stories. might give us all a little laugh thinking of when we were in the same situation. :D

Going into comet to buy my 50" TV on boxing day its a black sleek looking samsung tv, so upon going up to the checkout to pay the cashier asked me if I wanted to a black toaster and kettle set to go with the tv. I mean come on, Im not going to have a toaster and kettle sitting next to my tv nor could I actually care if the said items match.

Going into comet to buy my 50" TV on boxing day its a black sleek looking samsung tv, so upon going up to the checkout to pay the cashier asked me if I wanted to a black toaster and kettle set to go with the tv. I mean come on, Im not going to have a toaster and kettle sitting next to my tv nor could I actually care if the said items match.

see, the only up-sell in that case that would be ok would be, "do you want a warranty with that?" the only other one that would work, but, annoy me, would be, "did you need a tv stand or home theater system?"

here is another one that always annoys me...
i go to mcdonalds sometimes for breakfast and when they first say hello, they immediately try to up-sell me with a McCafe or something new on the menu, and i say, "no, may i get two egg McMuffin's, and thats it" i in return get a response, "i have two egg McMuffins, would you like to add two apple pies today for just a dollar?" i think to myself, you a$$hole, did i not just say "and THATS IT" at the end of my order, or did you just choose to ignore that part? if i wanted two apple pies, i would have said that. why would i want apple pie with my breakfast? but, i always respond nicely with, "no thanks" and get my food. i know they are told to do it by management, but damn, it is just annoying.

I actually contacted the CEO of a company here complaining about the amount of time their employees wasted trying to upsell junk and making me waste half my lunch break just to purchase one item when there was only ONE person ahead of me in the queue.

Turns out their CEO is relatively incapable of reading, and sent me back a horrible reply that had nothing to do with my complaint.

I've come good on my threat and haven't shopped there since.

reminds me of another place you cant go without being up-sold, the grocery store. just about to pay what you owe when the cashier looks at you and says, "did you need any ice or stamps to go with this today?" no, no i do, if i did, once again, I WOULD HAVE ASKED FOR ICE OR STAMPS!

come on people, this could get amusing reading others stories, contribute a bit. :D

- "Do you want a warranty with this"
- "No thanks"
- "the warranty is really worth it... blah blah blah"
- "I ----ing know you piece of ----, you told me ----ing 20 times in the past 5 mins and the ----ing answer is still know, I do not want a warranty on that ----ing $2 stapler"

I think the main reason I tend to do my shopping online is the absense of upselling and nuisance staff jibberijng rubbish, Granted for every twat in a shop working there is 10 great people who are brilliant at the job.

The only real downside to online ordering and the reason for my tv purchase in the shop was delivery times, I would have to wait 28 days for the delivery compared to instantly in our local shop.

About a year ago I was looking for a small laptop and could not find it in any online stores. So, I went to a local shop. I knew which model I wanted so I just told the salesperson. He then tried to sell me a warranty and I guess that's ok. When I instantly said no though, he went on to explain the warranty in detail and then asking me "are you sure" two more times. Then he tried to sell me all kinds of other stuff like printer etc and goes on to explain each item even after I tell him "no". I must have said no about 20 times. Two people waiting in line behind me got tired of waiting and walked out. Finally he goes away to pick up my laptop. When he gets back he asks me if I want a free book. Ok, why not. He goes away again. It's a book warning parents about the dangers of the internet... I don't think I'll be going back to this place.

I think the main reason I tend to do my shopping online is the absense of upselling and nuisance staff jibberijng rubbish, Granted for every twat in a shop working there is 10 great people who are brilliant at the job.

The only real downside to online ordering and the reason for my tv purchase in the shop was delivery times, I would have to wait 28 days for the delivery compared to instantly in our local shop.

lol, see, but here is the problem with shopping online. they are catching on to the up-sell way of thinking. you cant even get a domain on godaddy now without them taking you through 200 different up-sell items. its frustrating. all i want is a domain, and i have to just click "no thanks" like 20 times. i want ot smack Bob Parsons. he lives a couple doors down from my dad, maybe i can just go to my dads house and launch a rock through a window with the word "douche" written on it.

This stuff is what has caused thousands of people to get into debt with companies like Argos, asking if people want the Argos card, feeding them what they want to hear, failing to mark the facts and then the customer spends and spends on the card, failing to re-pay it because of their stupid fees.

I've had to be a up-sale person where I worked last year. I stopped doing it after the first week, it annoys me so I refuse to do it to others.

This isn't really a problem in England. At least, I've never found it to be. If something's extra and costs extra, they never seem to ask you.. only if it's free (which is always nice.. such as buying a drink and the cashier saying "These are on buy one get one free, do you want to pick up another?"). One exception is call centres, they're always trying to sell you ---- you don't need or didn't ask for.

Reminds me of Futurama when fry orders a drink at the cinema they say "For just 20c less I can make you a supersmall."

When I worked in retail, if I didn't ask every customer to buy XYZ, too, then I would get written up and possibly fired.

I don't work in retail anymore. My last manager I told to shove the job up his ---.

lol, see, but here is the problem with shopping online. they are catching on to the up-sell way of thinking. you cant even get a domain on godaddy now without them taking you through 200 different up-sell items. its frustrating. all i want is a domain, and i have to just click "no thanks" like 20 times.

I was going to post this too... I bought a godaddy domain recently and the amount of stuff you have to click through/reject etc before getting to the final transaction is mind-boggling... I just want my domain, arrgh!!!

When I worked in retail, if I didn't ask every customer to buy XYZ, too, then I would get written up and possibly fired.

I don't work in retail anymore. My last manager I told to shove the job up his ---.

Yea, the very brief period that I worked in food/retail, we were supposed to do the whole "do you want a drink with that?", etc. I'd be interested to see some kind of info about just how successful up selling actually is. Particularly in cases like Peo mentioned, where OTHER customers have walked out in disgust due to the waiting times. I've walked out after getting sick of waiting for sale stuff to wind up their spiel with the customers in front, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Very rarely do you see people saying, "Why, yes, I would like an extra one for $50, and some chips, and a pack of gum, thanks!"

Would smart business sense dictate that if you have a 2 for 1 offer, and the customer hasn't noticed, you'd be better off saying nothing rather than pointing it out to them?

If you wanted to be particularly tricky about upselling, I'd do it for toy sales etc, where a child was present. Say the parent is buying the kid a teddy bear, you'd say, "Now would you like a little jacket to go with your bear?" And the parents then have the added pressure of the kid hearing this, and deciding he wants a jacket, too. Sigh - they probably already ARE using these upsell tactics... Fighting dirty! :p

yeah, i know that the people have to ask cause of rules in place, but, doesnt change that it is just annoying. :p

Imagine being in the shop picking up some Condoms and the staff trying to sell you lube or lice removal cream :lol:

Now that would be embarresing

The worst part about putting items in an online shopping cart is they will often put default upgrades in there that you have to actually remove. You go to buy something for $2.99, and you see "Add-on (recommended $1.99)" or something similar automatically added.

Back