• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

URL Forwarding -- your domain, I host it.

NukedWeb

Here's an idea I came up with but wasn't too sure if it would work. After playing around a bit, I found out it's possible for me to do this, and I'd like some feedback if possible. =)

In the next few days I'll be setting up a (subdomain) URL Forwarding service, you.yxy.us or you.xlr.us -- but I think I'm going to carry it a step further.

What I'll be able to do is, other domain owners can offer subdomain redirection using their domain name, but have me host it. You'll be able to offer your site's visitors http://them.yourdomain.com/ with signup/login forms on your site. The only thing that would be required, is for you to have your webhost add a wildcarded DNS entry that points to my IP, which all hosts are capable of doing. You won't have to move your existing site. Where www.yourdomain.com points to now, will still point there afterwards. Any subdomains already created on your account will still work. You don't give up any rights to your domain at all.

The main advantage to doing this, is that your domain name gets more exposure, and people do often visit the main site after seeing the URL (I've had lots of traffic to a domain just by offering free email @ that domain, without ads). The big drawback is that the script will only work with 2nd-level domains, meaning .co.uk, .or.jp, .com.mx, .uni.cc etc will not work.

Now before I go and spend 18 hours straight writing the code for this service, how many people would be interested in this? I'll set it up if enough people show an active interest. I have not yet seen a service that does this (though I haven't looked), so it would seem to me it would be something that could take off. =)

I'm apparently also able to offer a Hotmail-ish kinda service under their domains too, with webmail and pop3 access. But since you're the only reply, I dont think it's that desirable of a service. But I've since finished the initial part of the site ;)

haha..perhaps they not intrested with this . but i'm sure they are lot ppl would love to join u .
do u need staff ? heheh i'm offering myself..
since i don have any TLD ( its has been gone ..) . or u need a logo for this site ?

I'm not too worried about graphics for that site (hehe, obviously!) I'm trying to get my mom to come up with something for another site, just so she can start doing something productive for a change! ;)

Staff? What staff? It's just me, and even I get bored alot.. :D I do as much PHP work as possible to make everything automated so I can just let it sit and run by itself. =)

I'm nearing 150 posts! yay!!

how r u manage to do this?
did u said u had cable before but now using a 56kb modem?
just wondering

I've had my cable modem back for a while now...but no, this site's hosted on a webhost....the email service though uses a mail server here on my computer.. =)

Originally posted by NukedWeb
I've had my cable modem back for a while now...but no, this site's hosted on a webhost....the email service though uses a mail server here on my computer.. =)
Don't cable companies prohibit you from setting up any servers on your computer using thier connection??? Check the TOS 1st to not have any problems.

Back