• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vista is avg

Darknight

Premium
Premium Member
NLC
I kinda got really smashed last night and my PC broke, So it ended up out the window... Anyway I brought a new on today only cheap $800 box AMD 4000+ x2 with 1GB ram and just Vista home basic, Im amazed at how slow vista is, it takes ages to boot... I mean its fine doing things but. everything seems to take so much longer than xp this PC has twice the ram and about a 3 times better CPU than my old PC.. im starting to think about going back to XP pro..
I know this is a low range box to be running vista.. But still the CPU and amount of ram would give you a fair bit of power on XP :devious2:
Just thought id rant about how bad it is :p
Is anyone else running a box like mine with a version of vista??
This mobo can handle up to 8GB Im thinking of putting 2 more gigs in would it help??

Yes, the memory will help it, with windows xp the authors tried to make their code use as little memory as possible, with Vista they have tried to make it use as much as possible, this is because it will give you better performance - but to get it you need those resources free, and Vista just by itself takes up loads and loads and loads .... I don't think that much of it, get a vm and keep xp handy just in case you wanna feel like your computer is quick again ......

Ok, Ill try buying more ram and see, Yeah this PC uses about 73% of a gig just being idle.. I have removed alot of the Useless sh*t such as windows defender and nortan and random stuff that I dont understand why its even there... Lets just Say I hate this OS..... I dont feel it will ever grow on me either unlike XP did... Its just full of useless crap ill never use or want to use and this is the "basic" version
ARGH. but yeah Im thinking of doing a dual boot or msomething so I can have my XP back lol.

Last edited:
Try the ultimate then :p , i downgraded after a month of being with Vista Ultimate , so did a lot of people i know .

yeah, thats what I mean... I would hate to have the "full version" becuse I find it hard to belive that you could cram any more crap in to a OS than whats in basic. lol

Vista home blows. get at least one more gig of ram, and upgrade to ultimate. you shall be fine then. my wife have home premium with 1gb ram and a dual core amd, and it runs great, and i have vista ultimate with 2gb ram, and normally runs fantastic, so, no real complaints here.

I have vista ultimate with 1gb of ram and it boots up fast, and basically runs fast. I prefare the layout of it to xp, so i am staying with vista.

Downgrading to XP is a smart idea of you can get hardware drivers for your computer (which on new PCs are only downloadable for Vista and won't install on XP at all, bummer).

Disabling needless services from running in the background will make a big difference for you. Even on Vista Home Premium and Ultimate a service that handles Tablet PC inputs starts automatically and by default even if you are on a desktop or laptop with no tablet input capability.

Thats just one example. Once Vista (or XP) are tweaked hardcore they both run pretty nice, even tho XP is nicer. I got XP down to 19 processes without losing the GUI (meaning using the classic mode) and it was very responsive (on a 2GB RAM/Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz laptop).

Vista, if you have a laptop, also kills battery life big time. I used to be able to get 6.5-7 hours on my Dell E1405 on XP and when I switched to Vista I got only about 4-4.5 hours max (I am back on XP now).

And if you do use vista, get home premium or ultimate for the new GUI (Aero) even if you don't think it looks pretty or you don't care how it looks because it actually RUNS better since it uses the video card more versus just processing power/RAM that the Home Basic or classic interfaces use which frees up resources for other apps.

If you won't use Media Center. Get buisness...it runs ALOT faster.

You only get MC on Ultimate, business is just XP with tweaks for the follow up to 2003 server.

The whole preload issues with Vista is a huge hype for bigger and better hardware, like the old MS and Intel/HDD manufacturers pact.

XP is now not solid but basically reliable (sort of) so until Vista is 'required' dodge it.

You only get MC on Ultimate, business is just XP with tweaks for the follow up to 2003 server.

The whole preload issues with Vista is a huge hype for bigger and better hardware, like the old MS and Intel/HDD manufacturers pact.

XP is now not solid but basically reliable (sort of) so until Vista is 'required' dodge it.
Home Premium has it. Buisness is alot better than Home Premium though, speed wise and it basically does the same.

When I've switched between XP and Vista I have to say Vista does run better but XP like you said is a more solid OS. They both have their pros and cons.

We have an SA agreement with Microsoft and immediately I installed Vista Enterprise. Oh, it was going to be wonderful!

Well with a dual Xeon / 4GB RAM box it was still sluggish and nothing seemed simple. It took me forever to find a command prompt to feel a little better about the fact I was using Microsoft's look alike of Mac OS X with all of the pretty effects and no BSD.

Brief Summary:
Installed. Used 2 days. Format --> Re-installed XP Pro

The closest I will ever get to running Vista again is running OS X on my Mac. And that is just the looks of it :) None of my games worked on Vista and my graphics card, even supported had issues.

I'd recommend staying far away.

What are you guys talking about, Downgrading to XP? It is a step up. Here is how it goes:
Windows Vista Basic
Windows Vista Ultimate / Professional
Windows XP
Windows 95
and the best of the best is...
Linux.

hahaha yeah, linux is a lot better.

Even with beryl and compiz fusion installed, it is still consume very less RAM.

this is y i stop using windows now
:)

I had Xubuntu on my kick --- Laptop myself (Xubuntu is Ubuntu for low-end machines, it runs XFCE and can switch between KDE and GNOME) I'd go with Xubuntu if you want a Linux Distro (Remove Compiz if your Linux distro has it. Compiz will crap out Beryl.)

Anyway, if you still want to go "down" to XP, I suggest you do that. Wine isn't good enough or stable enough yet (IE: Netscape 9 won't install in Wine) so yeah.

We have an SA agreement with Microsoft and immediately I installed Vista Enterprise. Oh, it was going to be wonderful!

Well with a dual Xeon / 4GB RAM box it was still sluggish and nothing seemed simple. It took me forever to find a command prompt to feel a little better about the fact I was using Microsoft's look alike of Mac OS X with all of the pretty effects and no BSD.

Brief Summary:
Installed. Used 2 days. Format --> Re-installed XP Pro

The closest I will ever get to running Vista again is running OS X on my Mac. And that is just the looks of it :) None of my games worked on Vista and my graphics card, even supported had issues.

I'd recommend staying far away.

Did you let it run 24x7 for a few days (took about 4 on my system) using it normally (ie not just installing lots of new things) to allow prefetch to set up properly? I'm running Core 2 T7500 (2.2Ghz and 2x2MB cache) on 2GB DDR II 667 ram, and when I dual booted XP Pro 64, Vista is hands down faster and better. And that's comparing Vista 64 Ultimate to XP Pro 64. I don't know what you did, probably didn't give it long enough to get used to, but Vista is by far faster and more secure then XP.

Did you let it run 24x7 for a few days (took about 4 on my system) using it normally (ie not just installing lots of new things) to allow prefetch to set up properly? I'm running Core 2 T7500 (2.2Ghz and 2x2MB cache) on 2GB DDR II 667 ram, and when I dual booted XP Pro 64, Vista is hands down faster and better. And that's comparing Vista 64 Ultimate to XP Pro 64. I don't know what you did, probably didn't give it long enough to get used to, but Vista is by far faster and more secure then XP.

I'm with this guy. Who ever insults Vista insults me.

Back