• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vista, WinXP. They both drive me crazy!

daiondoroga

I am going nuts! Every time I think I have the best new thing in technology I find that there is something new. Windows is upgrading almost every year. I don't have any idea why I am always behind. I thought of going to Linux but that is also an "ify" for me. The qestions I need awsered are?

* Should I switch OS?
* Is there a better way to keep up with technology?
* Should I stick with the constant upgrades?

If any one has any help on this computer crazy please reply.

Vista isn't yet official technology, it's still very much being beta tested, and is mostly a waste of time installing it unless you plan to design drivers for it, there is a lack of manufacturers interested in designing drivers for their hardware, simply becuase Microsoft have been promising this new OS for such a long time.
I would suggest, you do not change OS, if linux isn't for you then Windows is all you have....I would suggest you keep current with happenings in the Vista world, but dont' install it till you can see it in a local shop, and even then make sure your computer is a powerful one, as it's mostly eye candy.

As for upgrades, these are a personal choice, MS release security updates, but not that often, I have automatic updates turned off, I'm convinced Windows is 10x faster without all these service packs.....

If your computer is working just the way you like it. Why fool with it?

Don't forget, computers have been surfing the web, word processing, and writing emails for a long time (in computer years) now. People are getting pushed this new stuff just to queeze some extra dollars out of you.

I have WinXP and it's been working great for me for a long time. Only reason I own it at all is because I got a free academic version. Just make sure you have FireFox installed! I used to have some new spyware on there every week and weird behaviors on my machine for a while. I switch to FireFox and never have had any issues since *knock on wood*.

I will not be rushing into Vista any time soon.

I develop on Windows, Linux and OS X all day long. If you know what you're doing and know how to debug problems you shouldn't really have all too many issues on any system. You should get a Mac

The only reason my Windows machine has XP on is because it came free with said machine. If I didn't buy that machine, I would still be happily using, well using, Windows ME.
The only times my OSs get upgraded is when I get a free copy, if I didn't get free copies I'd most likely be posting this from some DOS programme.

I wouldn't worry about staying at the "cutting edge of OS technology", I bet nearly every new programme out after Vista will still work on XP.

guitarnerd said:
You should get a Mac

I agree!

Sid said:
The only reason my Windows machine has XP on is because it came free with said machine. If I didn't buy that machine, I would still be happily using, well using, Windows ME.
The only times my OSs get upgraded is when I get a free copy, if I didn't get free copies I'd most likely be posting this from some DOS programme.

I wouldn't worry about staying at the "cutting edge of OS technology", I bet nearly every new programme out after Vista will still work on XP.

I agree!
It wasn't free unless you got your computer for free. The company had to pay licensing to Microsoft and added it to the sales price.

I think it's still a negligible amount, though.

Back