• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VPS + Dedi?

agent smith

Hello,

I have been speculating several weeks now on what a VPS server is and what a Dedicated server is. However, i can not figure it out.

So please could you explain?

Can i install my own software?
If so what and what would i want to install?
Can i sell re-seller hosting?
What are the advanatages compared to shared/reseller?
Cpanel / WHM?

Any thing that would help me as i noyl know re-seller / shared. Im not looking to move, im just wondering what they are. And i had time to ask :)

VPS = Virtual Private Server. You don't actually get a server, you get a virtual server, and there will be a few of these on the dedicated. Visually, they're pretty much the same, but they are limited specwise and variations.
Dedicated = You actually get a server that you can do anything you want with except illegal stuff.

Keagle is right ;)

Now you need to decide whether what you will be running is going to take a lot of resources or not... this is the main factor in deciding between a VPS and a Dedicated Server.

VPS has all the functions of a dedicated server, you have root access and you can control the "virtual server" from root end. (Though there are annoying VPS limits with certain things like kmemsize, disk inode limit etc etc set by the provider)

VPS however is using a part of a dedicated server - meaning you are only set/guaranteed use part of the server's resources only.

Can i install my own software?
Yes you can - freely.

If so what and what would i want to install?
You'd want to install what you want to install.

Can i sell re-seller hosting?
Yes, that's the reason a lot of resellers switch to VPS'.

What are the advanatages compared to shared/reseller?
You are "not effected by your neighbours". You already mentioned root WHM, you can change root settings to suit you better - you have the powers. But I can think of many disadvantages as well.

Back