• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ways to use Secure Shell (SSH) Access?

rhianna

Hi,

I have Secure Shell (SSH) Access.
What can I use that for? I'm not sure what to do with it. Can anyone suggest websites where I might find tutorials? Any suggestions?

Also I notice that my Secure Shell (SSH) Access is for use with a domain I didn't intend.
Would I be able to e-mail my host and say, "Please switch the Secure Shell (SSH) Access to the other domain" ?

You can screw up a server up with it if you're not careful. I would not recomend playing with it, or using it at all, you don't need to use it. cPanel and FTP can do most of the stuff it does.

SSH (Secure Shell) allows you to create a secure session(s) with a server, giving you access to a shell account on a remote host.

With said account you can do anything from change permission, access/modify files, compile binaries, run programs, etc. -- exactly like you would if you were at the machine locally. [just a brief description]

Chances are though, you won't in fact need to use it.
However, a shell account is handy should you need to do something that your control panel, FTP, etc do not allow for, plus it's a good way to familiarize with a new operating system.

Back