• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

wBB2 goes paid

ashben

Heard it at the phpBB forums:

This is official since 2002-03-02.
neither for personal nor for commercial use will the german quality product wBB be free in all the upcoming versions.
v1 will remain free but with changed license agreements.

The prices are only listed on the german page (yet):
- EUR 25: full version, you'll need to pay for every update
- EUR 50: full version, first three updates are included
- EUR 99: full version, all upgrades for the current major version included

Thx

Thanks For Letting Us Know great to know these things as i'm seaching for the best board system so i'll know not to use them. thx again

Originally posted by is0lized
yes, I told everyone about it first me me me me! since you dont post offen ill let it slide ash :)

It didn't seem like fresh news but what the heck :biggrin2:

What about the others

Remember that some more of the good ones are going to go paid sometime in the next 100 years phpBB,openBB and the rest will go paid sometime :( (hope they don't :) )

Re: What about the others

Originally posted by nig
Remember that some more of the good ones are going to go paid sometime in the next 100 years phpBB,openBB and the rest will go paid sometime :( (hope they don't :) )

phpBB will never go paid. It's open source, so when the original developers quit, another programmer could pick up the project and work on it again. Also, I believe that it's under the GPL, which ensures that it will stay free. :D

Originally posted by The Red Guy
At least they're cheaper than vb, but the prices for the first and second option don't look friendly. :chinese2:
But nothing like it right :D

I wouldn't count on it - the phpBB developers from what I last heard (so correct me if its a rumour or this gets changed) are planning to switch licenses soon due to abuse (ie; webmasters using their board - removing the bottom copyright and naming it their own creation). Though the new license will still retain the "free" factor and allow modifications be made to the board.

Nevertheless, one of the main principle of that board and/or the purpose of why it was created was for it to be free. With that many loyal and devoted members in the phpBB community, I even if primary developers left - the new ones will more than likely continue to retain its position as a free board.

I honestly can't think of a reason for anyone to pay for wBB even if it's less than vBB. phpBB 's is so much better. Although the current phpBB template is not as appealing to those two boards, there are several people in the phpBB community developing a variety of templates. It's coded really well - probably better than several paid boards. Yea its "FREE" too. Heck, if phpBB is a paid board maybe the same amount as wBB, I would definetly go with phpBB still.

Originally posted by Night-Watch
phpBB 's is so much better. Although the current phpBB template is not as appealing to those two boards, there are several people in the phpBB community developing a variety of templates. It's coded really well - probably better than several paid boards. Yea its "FREE" too. Heck, if phpBB is a paid board maybe the same amount as wBB, I would definetly go with phpBB still.
Say what you like, PHPBB2 still have flaws. I can tell you Conkermaniac is the first one to tell you this. He's the expert at finding out phpbb2's faults. No offence conker.

Well yea, considering its still in Release Candidate versions so its kinda premature to judge "all" its faults (in addition everything has its flaws) and I have been a long time phpBB fan anyways - so my opinion is biased. Than again everyone is entitled to his or her opinion as long as it's appropriate. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just Hope

Just Hoping that phpBB will not go paid. Anyway it's over a year since last release or near it hope next release come with annocuments!!!

Back