• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Webmasters - beware of new Explorer!

someone else

USA Today - 'Smart Tags' link to another Microsoft controversy

Basically put, the next IE version will search the websites that the user loads, then put it's own links into the content!

There's evidently going to be some kind of tag you can put in your HTML to prevent this, but I see it like I see opt-out mailing lists (where they start mailing you stuff you didn't ask for, and you have opt to not get more mail).

Now I'm thinking... they're going to try to make money off of *my* sites. Therefore, they are advertising on my site. Therefore, to advertise on my site, they will have to pay for the ad.

I believe an online campaign of webmasters sending mail to Microshaft charging them $50.00 per link is well in order for this.

This is an insult to every webmaster.

its not the end of the worl is it?
I mean like all we have to do is put in some tags and the problem will go away imediatly right?

sure its anouying but I dont think it would be to horrible

Meta...

There's going to be standard Meta-tags to block "Microshaft Dumb Tags". Microshaft have been extremely hush-hush about what the exact tag is, though. They probably don't want webmasters blocking them before the "feature" even hits the market.

And no, this is not an acceptable solution. This is opt-out, which when it comes to mailing lists is better known as spam. Why should these be treated any differently than spam.

This "feature":

1- Devalues what little value is left in your own ads on your site. Too much to click that drives people away from your site.

2- Is a violation of your copyright for your work on your website. Microshaft is creating a derivative work where the sole purpose is to give people more avenues to leave your site.

3- In typical Microshaft fashion, it's also just plain unethical in oh so many ways.

We have to talk to Zeldman. If he could convince a large portion of the sites to say "to hell with old browsers" he maybe can convince people to say to hell with IE too. But I don't really believe that. :(

Who Microsoft?

No Way ! :D

That doesn't surprise me. Just another way for them to get more people interested in there site by having banners on every web site.

Oh well better not upgrade I guess.

HGW - " Think before you speek "

Why doesn't everybody just use Opera :confused:
It's small, fast, very much options and it supports *almost* everything

I was a great Opera fan. Tried it now and then and bought it just before 4 was out. Then something happened. After 4 it hasn't worked well on my machine. It's slow, pages take forever to load and so on. Others have this problem too. On the other hand I've never had the crashes which are THE big complaint. Opera of course blames windows. That may be true but they produce a browser for windows and other software developers seem to handle the win bugs well. Besides I'm not to hot on the MDI. Love it in my text editor but not so much in a browser.

But I'm glad others find it useful. I'm all for diversity. We need more browsers to choose from. The more browsers the more need for them to be up to standard - the less problems for us. :)

Last edited:
oh my god wat will they think of next! i hope a few 1000 lawsuits are filed for advertising compensation!

from looking at the ad, it looks to me as if is half program half javascript. a lot of javascript probs maybe??

anyway, if they can stop banners and popups, they can stop this.

btw Windows XP looks pretty cool :)

wat do u mean interface? as in when you have win95 and u install active desktop then it looks like the first version of win98??

also do you know where i could find the interface?

Back