• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what does a "Game Server" do?

a gameserver serves games...... people play online multiplayer games and there has to be someone that hosts that game for everyone to join in on.

So, Hmm, what's a popular game some people play now a days? Uhm, well I've heard of Counter-Strike or something like that, so if someone would want to host a game or something they would need a gameserver?

my biggest orders come from UT2004 but I host quite a few counter strike source and cs 1.6 as well.

if someone wants to have their own private playground they would need someone to host them a gameserver. Or purchase a dedicated server and host their own

For a gameservers, how much do they usually cost?

If you want the details:

Something like the requester requested earlier.

2.4ghz - 3Ghz Intel cpu
512 - 1GB Ram
5mbps port with alot of BandWidth
Game Panel

How much do you think that would come out to be "Per/Month?"

gameservers are generally prices per player slot and can range about $2-4 slot depending on the gametype, certain games take up far more cpu/memory/bandwidth than the others.

if you are going to do dedicated then a machine like the one above will run about $120-140/mo with a gamepanel and windows 2003

That much eh, :(. Well, I can do that but I don't know how long I could afford it lol.

Is there anyway:

I could get

Celeron 1.3 gHz
512mb RAM
80GIG Disk
10mps connection
2000GB bandwidth

for a cheaper price? and, would this be decent for a gameserver?

Hay Chief you could use those spec's and for a cheaper price you're only problem is if you're looking at selling slots you're limited to home many games you could run with 512Mb of ram and such a low processor.

Alright new specs:

Celeron 1.8 gHz
1GIG RAM
80GIG disk
10mps connection
2000 BandWidth/Transfer

Is it decent, and how much do you think it would cost? (per month)

One of NetCafes old offers (used search :p) so it wont be beaten easily.

Intel Celeron 2.0Ghz
1024 MB DDR RAM
60GB Western Digital HDD
2000GB Premium Bandwidth
cPanel c/w Fantastico
..................................................... us$90.00 monthly

celerons are for lack of better words useless for gameservers of any medium slot count or better. the max you can get out of a celeron is 1-2 gameservers and that will not be any value for your money. The mimumum I would suggest for any gameserver setup would be an athlon 64 3000+ pr a p4 2.8

1gb ram minimum is a must as well

So celerons won't be good for game servers?

EDIT: I found something:

Is aplus.net a known site? Because this is what they're offering, well these are the two plans I'm interested in for "Game Servers".

* AMD Athlon64 3000 s939
* 512MB DDR400 SDRAM
* 120GB IDE Hard Drive
* 500 GB Monthly Transfer
* $59 Setup Fee

59.00$ per month.

(Yeah, a crap load of setup fee but it's only a one time thing so it shouldn't be that bad.)

* Pentium IV CPU 2.4 or Higher
* 512MB RAM
* IDE HDD 80GB or Higher
* 500 GB Monthly Transfer
* $69 Setup Fee

69.00$ per month.

(Again, a crap load of setup fee but it's only a one time thing)

Which plan do you think is better? Number #1 or #2?

Last edited:
aplus actually has a decent network but they are in california, not the best place to start off gaming. I would look for something around chicago or texas area, that way you can get both east and west coast gamers on an even ping.

both of those machines are not bad pricing wise and could hold a few gameservers, but my experience with aplus has been terrible, long support times plus they actually hijacked a few domains of mine because of an unpaid bill for a server I had cancelled and they felt that they needed to keep billing me for. long story but i cannot recommend them at all

Oh because I just checked availability they don't have any more AMD Athlon 3000 servers anymore, (They have to restock) but they have some Pentium IV's left.

How much do you think the Pentium IV plan can hold? (hold gameservers)

Also, you will need 1GB RAM Min for a gameserver, take it for experiance you don't want to run more than one gameserver on 512 MB ram :p

Yeah, thanks "Hosting-Shack". I like AvailNetwork's Celeron/Pentium dedi-server pkg. but they only offer 512 RAM, but I need atleast 1GIG RAM. Hmm, Dual Xeon looks very good, but 200$(+) plus the setup fee it seem's a bit out of my budget. Eh, well you know what. You get what you pay for. I'll be earning more cash, ect. and I'll be back to see if I can afford and hold on to one of those Dual Xeon servers, they're looking real nice :p

if you are looking at our packages we actually offer upgrades on all aspects of the machine, if you click on order now you can see the upgrade pricing and all options offered.

As far as the dual xeons are concerned if you are looking for something a bit up the scale but not quite as much as the xeons I would start with the opteron 170 series which I will be adding to our pages shortly. Until then just email for pricing sales @ availnetworks.net or me personally admin @ availnetworks.net

If you are wanting a celeron for game servers I would probably cancel your order before it got through :) it just is not cost effective

the p4 2.4 setup can probably hold a good 3-4 average gameservers confortably. I have seen most machine types run games and the p4 runs them quite solidly.

dollar for dollar value for monthly cost is the opteron 170's though. you can get a good 7-8 gameservers on those and actually turn a profit on the machine

hosting-shack said:
One of NetCafes old offers (used search :p) so it wont be beaten easily.

Intel Celeron 2.0Ghz
1024 MB DDR RAM
60GB Western Digital HDD
2000GB Premium Bandwidth
cPanel c/w Fantastico
..................................................... us$90.00 monthly

Not available. We do have two servers on sale if the OP is interested though :p.

BTW,

I am Buying This Comp:

PENTIUM D 2x3GHz LGA775 (920) 2X2M/800 BOX socket 775 (Dual Core) Processor
GIGABYTE GA-8N775 nForce4 Socket 775 Mainboard
DDR2 2GB 533 Mhz GOODRAM
ATI Radeon X1600Pro 128MB DDR3/128bit TV/DVI PCI-E IceQ Turbo
CAVIAR 250GB SATAII 8MB CACHE
640 KBPS Connection (Yeah,i know it's sucky but im increasing soon)

And i'm asking how many game servers could it handle?.

with your connection I would say 12 player slots MAX for an average gametype (css 66 tick, ut2004, etc)

the machine itself if it was in a datacenter would hold a good 6-7 average servers I would say

If you are going to use this to host a gameserver for the love of god put it in a datacenter, Residential connections do not have the resources to host games, I dont care what kind of connection it is.

Back