• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What Forum Software should FWS use?

What forum software should FWS use?

• IPB

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • vB Upgraded

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Current vB (No change)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I don't care

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
These are the dates that phpbb, vb and ipb released there first versions.

vBulletin:

In 1999 James E. Limm and John Percival were running a Visual Basic website using Infopop's UBB.classic forum software on VB Forums.

As their site grew, they noticed that their software, written in Perl using a flat-file database, could not always cope with the number of users they had. In February 2000, the two decided that it would be better to write their own solution as both were unfamiliar with the software's code and thus unable to optimize it. Initially, it was designed solely as a rewrite of UBB, in PHP using MySQL, and was meant only for their own forum. Other UBB owners expressed interest in the solution, and they offered to sell it to Infopop, but their proposal was rejected. As there was still a demand for the software, Limm and Percival created Jelsoft and released their work as a paid solution, called vBulletin 1.

phpBB:

phpBB was started by James Atkinson as a simple UBB-like forum for his own website on June 17, 2000. Nathan Codding and John Abela joined the development team after phpBB's CVS repository was moved to SourceForge.net, and work on 1.0.0 began. A fully functional, pre-release version of phpBB was made available in July.

phpBB 1.0.0 was released on December 9, 2000, with subsequent improvements to the 1.x codebase coming in two more major installments. The final release in the 1.x line was phpBB 1.4.4, released on November 6, 2001. During the lifetime of the 1.x series, Bart van Bragt, Paul S. Owen (former co-manager of the project), Jonathan Haase and Frank Feingold joined the team. phpBB 1.x is no longer supported and virtually no websites continue to use it.

IPB:

Invision Power Services (IPS) was created by Matt Mecham and Charles Warner in 2002, after they left Jarvis Entertainment Group (who produced Ikonboard). Their first product was Invision Power Board, another forum package, which quickly gathered a community of former Ikonboard users.

Version 1.x.x

The last free full version is Invision Power Board 1.3.1, which is not as widespread as 1.3 because of the short available time before 2.0 replaced it. Version 1.3 is commonly used on free forum hosts such as InvisionFree or iPBFree, and is still used by many websites that refuse to purchase the latest version of Invision Power Board. Since then many known exploits have been found, however, many patches have been produced by the community that fix most of the security and exploit problems.

The thing is guys, as much -rep this'll get me, seeing FWS using vB is putting me off now. vBulletin is just so bland and old now. It just needs change for once. I think IP.Board could give it the change.

Anyone asking for a free script needs to leave FWS right now, but seriously, I'd just move to IP.Board, regardless if the 'golden oldies' have to throw their time here and reputation around saying "It'd break tradition" or other ----.

The thing is guys, as much -rep this'll get me, seeing FWS using vB is putting me off now. vBulletin is just so bland and old now. It just needs change for once. I think IP.Board could give it the change.

Anyone asking for a free script needs to leave FWS right now, but seriously, I'd just move to IP.Board, regardless if the 'golden oldies' have to throw their time here and reputation around saying "It'd break tradition" or other ----.
I agree, vBulletin has run its course. Its gotten bland and unappealing now, I wouldn't mind seeing IP.Board on the forum instead... MyBB on the other hand, your right. It needs to stop being mentioned. Free scripts really don't have a huge place on a site like this...

Back