• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What operating system.

Epgs

NLC Honorary Member
NLC
As you might know I just got an HP netserver lh plus and I am wondering what OS to go on it. I couldn't just boot up with Windows XP, 2000, 2003, or RedHat 9, Knoppix, FreeBSD. It wouldn't go into the install. Now I haven't tried to troubleshoot at all. But here is the product page
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...&locale=en_US&lang=English&prodSeriesId=50453

Now it has about 6 OS's but all cost money. Any idea on what free OS's would work on here? Just straight up install, easy to install.

Epgs said:
Well I want something that is functional.
FreeDOS is 'functional' assuming the hardware is supported.

Also, after doing some asking around, apparently BeOS is supported, however I forget what the licensing is for it.

Last edited:
Does it even see the CD-ROM on the boot?

Some searches on Google show that some people have gotten Linux running on that type of hardware. Likely the SCSI drivers are not standard with most linux distros and you'll have to load those first.

Yeah it sees the CD-ROM, but right, no SCSI drivers. So how should I go about loading those?

It has to be the correct SCSI driver though. You'll have to find out what SCSI controller you have (online or perhaps by looking at the boot screen). The next part is to find the driver online or find a distro that supports that controller.

Then if your CD drive works you can boot and then most distros have an option to load additional drivers from a diskette.

Windows 3.1

jmiller said:
Also, after doing some asking around, apparently BeOS is supported, however I forget what the licensing is for it.

i thought that BeOS went bankrupt and that OS disappeared into thin air or so i believed. [edit] have alook at www.beincorporated.com for more info. Could try looking for an old version but probably not worth it. Could always try windows 3.1 lol :snail: . Then just use this shell to make it look like windows 98, http://www.calmira.de/.

Last edited:
Back