• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what's your opinion?

sexyme

Hi ! I'm ready to start in school in a couple of months and I'm shopping for a new laptop. It's an age-old question, but it's the MacBook versus PC laptop question. I'm not here to instigate a fight over Mac versus PC and how one is better than another, but really have to get an idea of what will be best for me while I'm in school. I know that both laptops will do pretty much the same: music downloading, word processing, spreadsheets, digital photos, Internet, and e-mailing. I currently own a PC desktop at home and was thinking about getting PC laptop, but a few friends suggested that I look into an Apple MacBook as they do offer great incentive on campus to buy one. If I get a MacBook now, is there a huge learning curve switching from a PC to Mac? What makes them different? Pros and cons for each? Does Mac work out better for college--because maybe more students use them? I'm not sure if thats true. I'm quite iffy on the whole MacBook transition, that's why I'm here to ask for advice and learn from you. And by the way, my father says I have a limit of $1,500 and no more than that. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide me.

Learning curve takes a day or two max. the apple customer support is top notch - I know when my superdrive broke I phoned up, arranged an appointment at my local store and took it in - they handled it all. when a relatives pc broke it took best part of a month for everything to get sorted. what other people use doesn't matter - things like microsoft office offer cross platform compatability. If you're worried about what peers will think you don't need to be worried unless your with the techy crowd (in which case prepare to be called a macfag).

The only thing different between a 'normal' laptop and a MacBook is the Intel Chip and OS, the rest of the hardware is exactly the same. It's only that Apple makes the Laptop themselves, just like Sony and Dell do. It doesn't matter what you go for, price wise though, is a huge difference.

Id say it does matter, but only because of the Licence for the OS.
Sure, i can run OS-X on an Intel machine, but itd be illegal now wouldnt it.

Generally speaking they have the same capibilities, and the software they can run is whats the most important piece of this question. After all, it is for school right?

So what are the main tools you will be using in school?
What are the best Video Editing programs around and what do they cost?
Sure, you can get a $499 Windows based Laptop with just Vista Home, but will you have to pay another 500 for Adobe Premier and some other crap?

These are the things you should be considering IMO.

LOL no but it should be powerful enough for video editing, downloading, Flash, Photoshop and stuff. Which added to the size makes it great. :)

You're going to get way more bang for your buck with a windows laptop with $1,500, but it all falls down to exactly what you'll be doing on the computer itself.

You say the simple everyday email/browsing/word/etc - Thus either platform would suit you - So we move on to the luring curve question: In my opinion, although bet it I'm kind of a computer geek (kind of? lol), it's an easy transition. I have a MacBook (regular 'ol cheapest white one) that I use for music, watching movies, and talking on the webcam with my girlfriend (who lives on the other side of the country, no we didn't meet online lol). I use my Windows desktop for designing and for business because the flashy graphics and wahtnot on Mac just kind of get to me.

It's your call 100% :p

LOL no but it should be powerful enough for video editing, downloading, Flash, Photoshop and stuff. Which added to the size makes it great. :)

But your forgetting about the lack of optical drive, ethernet card and just about any other extension port you could think of. And along with only 1 USB port...it makes deciding what addon to use like a life ad death decision.

Stay away from the mac air. But between a regular mac laptop and PC laptop, I'd say it depends on what you need it for. If you want to game, then go with a PC. If not, I think its all about the same, personal choice.

Macintosh is worth chucking out the extra cash, IF you haven't bought any PC software (even though there is bootcamp.) Because mac software is less expensive depending on what you get. (Damn Microsoft raised prices to over 200)

Back