• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

which is more likely to continue their free services, geocities or brinkster?

cycle

I realize that most people think that Brinkster is the better service, but which do you think will be around longer to continue to provide free services, or should I just change to a completely different host? I'm looking for something with no ads or an ad box like geo but no banners and definitely no pop ups.

Thank you.

It's hard to imagine a world without geocities. It seems like everyone I know started off there :) I am guessing both companies being around a long time, but I think Geocities will be around longer. Geo is good if your not looking for advanced features (php, ssi, perl, ect)

I am not very familiar with Brinkstar, so I cannot share my experiences with them

I think GeoCities will last long because it is owned by Yahoo! which is blantantly gonna be brought by AOL soon, seeing as everything seems to be. Y'know, Netscape, Red Hat (maybe), CNN.com etc

Originally posted by GameCube
I think GeoCities will last long because it is owned by Yahoo! which is blantantly gonna be brought by AOL soon, seeing as everything seems to be. Y'know, Netscape, Red Hat (maybe), CNN.com etc

If they're bought out by the wrong company, though, they may die. Remember Xoom, when they merged with NBCi, and it turned out that NBCi only bought out Xoom's free webhosting because everyone was doing it at the time, but once the free hosts starting going away, NBCi decided that although they were probably rich enough, they didn't want to play that game anymore and decided to just go back to purely the news business. The only reason that the other big hosts like Geocities, Angelfire, and Tripod are still around is because Lycos and Yahoo! are in the web business, which includes free webhosting.

Geocities and Brinkster both will last for a while, I think brinkster might start putting restriction on free hosting to get people to use their paid hostings, its what netfirms does.

Brinkster already has plenty of restrictions on their free service - 16 mb daily transfer allowance, no FTP, limited file types (the following file types aren't allowed there: .exe, .cmd, .bat, .mov, .avi, .mp3, .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .rm, .ram, .rmx, .asf, .wmf, .wmp, and .zip files larger than 1 megabyte) .

Back