• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

WHT - The 'timewarp'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have had database issues (the site was down for several hours earlier today), and so I think everything's been lost!

In fact, looks like a hack attack. I just logged in and they're forcing everyone to change passwords.

I logged in there once and got a PM from a Staff member firing rules at me so I never went back.

It's quite an incredible downtime really - they've been down for 2 days + now. Never seen it happen to them before. Something must have seriously gone wrong. And they're backed/hosted by RackSpace... Hope they recover soon.

I was able to get on the forums earlier but couldn't login. Seems they've took the forums down for maintenance again.

Anyone know what has actually happened? I've heard people say it was hacked but no evidence to back it up just yet. Maybe Jan can give a bit more info? :)

It was a serious attack. This is what WHT Admin had said in a thread:

Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue

I reported yesterday that our recent downtime was due to issues with our backup servers followed by the corruption of some db tables from a hack attempt.

We've since learned that this very deliberate, sophisticated and calculated hack against Web Hosting Talk was carried out by gaining access to our offsite backup servers. From our backup servers, the hacker gained access to the WHT db server. The malicious attacker deleted all backups from the backup servers within the infrastructure before deleting tables from our db server. We were alerted of the db exploitation and quickly shut down the site to prevent further damage.

This individual is still in possession of our user table that includes all user names, email addresses and hashed passwords. Absolutely no credit card or PayPal data was compromised.

Passwords are hashed with salt. It would be an unprecedented event to reverse engineer our passwords. I change my password periodically though, so maybe today is a good day for that. Go here to change your password.

My concern is the distribution of your email addresses and the potential spam you may receive. We know the hacker has posted the user table containing email addresses to various places (file sharing sites) and we're working diligently to remove the tables as we find them. If you see the user table posted anywhere, please let us know so we can get it taken off line.

We are working on recovering the deleted data. In the meantime, we've restored to an old db. We cannot yet determine if we can restore to a more recent db backup.

If you have any clues as to the individual who caused this malicious attack on the Web Hosting Talk community, please let me know.

So much unprofessionality by WHT.

I don't like WHT anyways...I am glad that alot of my posts got deleted on WHT anyways. I won't ever come back for sure.

Here is some post that the intruder threw up on WHT
http://tristanperry.com/pics/Erm, what.jpg
http://tristanperry.com/pics/What2.jpg

Besides that looks like they got a bunch of e-mails usernames ect ect. what might be a problem is if they got PM information. Who knows what has been placed in some of those pms.

Ouch! Surely they can track by IP now since he posted? They should catch the scumbag who did this and at least disgrace him if nothing else. I hate iNet and WHT, but I also hate hack attacks and I think this was a very pathetic thing for someone to do. :(

Its sad that people have to do crap like that. I dont really care for WHT either but why go and hack a site? Where is the fun? If you are a good hacker go get a job with the government or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back