• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why don't they learn English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meksilon

NLC
Most hosts about are Americans, and as we know just about all Americans need to learn English - but what strikes me is how poor their usage really is! Who else here gets annoyed by improper use and spelling errors?

The biggest single turn-off for me considering a host is if they can't spell. But something that has really annoyed me is the amount of hosts that offer "monthly, quarterly, semiannual, annual and biannual payments" - biannual means TWICE A YEAR, it means the same as semiannual. It does not mean every two years, biennial means that!

Furthermore, THERE does not mean THEIR, and TO doesn't mean TOO! :doh!:

Oh and to the free hosts, Advertisement has only ONE "D" in it. It doesn’t have two. That is why its abbreviation is AD and not ADD! ADD is a suitable abbreviation for ADDITION. And while we're on the subject, just let me add that in year 11 my math's teacher refused to use "eg" as an abbreviation for Example since there is no "G". To this day I also continue to use the more correct abbreviation "Ex", instead of the old outdated Latin abbreviation.

Last edited:
That is definitely true, English isn't my native language (I come from India), however, my written English is usually better than most American kids.

Everyone makes mistakes - that's why they put erasers on pencils.

Maybe instead of writing meaningless complaints here, you could contact the webhosts you referred to, so that they could correct their mistakes :rolleyes:

Maybe instead of writing meaningless complaints here, you could contact the webhosts you referred to, so that they could correct their mistakes :rolleyes:

I don't use pencils, at least none with erasers. Mostly pens. :p

I don't mean to mean or anything but you made several errors in your first post...I don't want to start a flame war or anything but I'm pointing out a point.

These things happen and people do it for a variety of reasons, some just don't care, some don't know any better, or some choose to. Sure it makes some people look less professional but then again, the internet was never meant to be a professional place. So it's just a matter accepting it and moving on.

i use firefox, whenever i type anything on the editor, it will do a spellcheck for me. I'd recommend those who can't write proper english to use this! LOL

"Just about all Americans"? Please. Your rant is nothing more than a stereotypic, ignorant post to insult a country as a whole.

Just in case you haven't figured it out, America isn't the only place people speak English, and not everyone living in America speaks English as their first language.

A person who rants about other people's English should at least have proper English, your post has a few errors of its own.

Most "American" hosts are ran my kids, not by adults. You're basing your ridiculous conclusion on the kiddie hosts you see online trying to be a web hosting company. There's more to America than these web hosting companies and kids running them.

Last edited:

My typewriter doesn't have an eraser unfortunately.

I don't want to start an argument or join one but that kind of remark, in a workplace, in the UK would constitute racism. I'm sure that's not what you meant though.

Yes, I do find it funny he's talking about kids and web hosting. But, then again, if a teenager has a blog, and he's offering an FTP account with some disk space to his friends so they can host their blogs. :)

A person who rants about other people's English should at least have proper English, your post has a few errors of its own.
Where? The closest thing I could find to an error in my first post was "math's teacher" since I could have simply used "math teacher", but it isn't incorrect. The next closest thing I could find is "semiannual" which is a word that like biannual and biennial is mostly a business term, and so you may not find it in every dictionary, but it isn't incorrect either. What errors are you talking about?

Here, I'll give you an example. My registrar is name.com, which is a sister-site to domainsite.com. If you will, check this page:

For instance if your using free hosting and have a web address like: (...)

They're supposed to be a professional company and use YOUR in place of YOU'RE!
"Just about all Americans"? Please. Your rant is nothing more than a stereotypic, ignorant post to insult a country as a whole.
In school I never did well in English - in fact I didn't like the subject at all. I never cared about spelling growing up, so I should be about the worst speller in the world!
Just in case you haven't figured it out, America isn't the only place people speak English, and not everyone living in America speaks English as their first language.
See, I don't see how you misunderstood what I wrote - I said Americans. That means American Citizens, not those with a "green card". Speaking generally, when someone says "Australians" or "Chinese" or "Americans" they are typically referring to the bulk of the population which has grown up in that country, not those who are refugees or otherwise changed citizenship.
Most "American" hosts are ran my kids, not by adults. You're basing your ridiculous conclusion on the kiddie hosts you see online trying to be a web hosting company. There's more to America than these web hosting companies and kids running them.
No one here made the claim that most American hosts are run by kids.

That is definitely true, English isn't my native language (I come from India), however, my written English is usually better than most American kids.

Wow, I am very impressed! You do speak English rather well. :)

when you think about why a third of the world ( at least ) speaks english ( or a variety of it ), it doesn't seem important ...

See, I don't see how you misunderstood what I wrote - I said Americans. That means American Citizens, not those with a "green card". Speaking generally, when someone says "Australians" or "Chinese" or "Americans" they are typically referring to the bulk of the population which has grown up in that country, not those who are refugees or otherwise changed citizenship.

No one here made the claim that most American hosts are run by kids.
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=american
So I provided you with the definition of an "American". As being an "Asian" American. And no when I say American I refer to those who are an US Citizen pal.

As for the INS, hope you've heard of them buddy...they stated:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

Oh wait, I'm wrong...sorry that's actually a quote from the 14th Amendment. I consider myself as an Asian American. Hold up, before you start to say I'm still Asian, ask me where I was born. Hold up, hold up...was it Seaford, DE, USA? Oh yes, if I remember correctly I was born in Delaware, the first state.

When I talk about an American, I refer to those who live in America, living the dream, dying for the dream. Those dying for us are those in the service. My father was in the US Army, he wasn't born here? So are you saying he isn't an American?

But enough of that on to this oh kiddie hosts aren't ran from America? Hi, I'm Dan, I'm a web host. I was born on March 7th 1990. If Americans can't spell, I certainly hope Australians can do math. I'm 17. I run CancerHost.com Nice to meet you :D. I try my hardest to run it. With the help from a friend, whom I meet online. Along with a few others who help us. My put my own money into it, it's not like oh your mom gave you money to run it. No I put my money, and time into it. Don't think we're a pretty good host? Well UBGspace.com has been with us since the start. Other sites like ISQLE.com has also been with us but not as successful as ubg.

At the start of CancerHost.com many expected us to drop and run. But lets see...if I know anyone on this forum, you will go to a dns look up and see the registration date of the domain. Ok here you go: 2007-05-20, May 20th 2007. Today is Jan. 02, 2008. Hmm...a little more than seven months? :beer:

So before you go and stereotype us Americans, I hope you take the time and think about how we are a melting pot. We are more than just Americans, we are many nations. Back in the day, Europeans came here. Then the Africans and then the Asians or however the order was, we are all Americans. Living the DREAM. The dream that we dream and live is being able to answer you like I just have, be with the people we want to be with let it be black, white, tan, brown or burnt (hehe sorry if i offend anyone). Because, everyday when I go to school, I see my dream, being able to talk to my white friends, play ball with one of my best black friends, and turn around and hug my white girlfriend.

In the end, an American is a person living our dream. Regardless if they spell correctly or not.

P.S. I'm glad some of the world think all of us Americans are ignorant and can't spell. j/p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back