• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows Update stopped working.. Help!

NC_TOM

I can get u banned.
Ok. I had some problems with IE so I used IERadicator to remove it from my computer. I then reinstalled it. However, now when I try to go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com for updates, I get an error message instead of getting the normal Windows Update website. This is the error I get:

Thank you for your interest in
Windows Update
Your organization has decided to provide software updates internally rather than through Windows Update. To download updates for your Windows computer, please see your network administrator.

If you are not on a corporate local area network (LAN), you have arrived at this page for one or more of the following reasons:

ActiveX controls are disabled in Internet Explorer Security. To resolve this issue, make sure that ActiveX controls are enabled by setting Internet Explorer security to medium. For more information, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q193385.
Files that are necessary to the operation of this Web site are missing or have not been registered. For more information, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q283288.
Third party applications such as anti-virus software or firewalls might have prevented your computer from downloading the proper controls. To check for conflicting third party applications, read Microsoft KB Article Q241234.

© 1998 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

Anyway. My browser's settings are correct. I'm thinking that IERadicator removed some files that are essential for Windows Update. Can anyone help me out? Does anyone know the names of all files used by Windows Update perhaps?

do you have the file WUPDMGR.exe ?

I have that file on windows that links to the website, i'm now finding more solutions for you that *might* work.

Hmm.. havent used a Windows 98 machine in a while, but remove the ActiveX programs that MS uses for the windows update. It's located somewhere in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files I believe. Delete those, empty cache/temporary Internet, and retry. That should work.

Thanks for the help guys. Somehow I forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 2000.

--EDIT-- Trenz, thanks for helping but the file you mentioned works just fine. The problem is when I get to windowsupdate.microsoft.com I get the error message on that URL.

Robert, thanks also for the help. I wish I could find anything like what you're talking about in Windows 2000. How can you tell if a file is ActiveX? What extension will it have?

Last edited:
Originally posted by NC_TOM
Thanks for the help guys. Somehow I forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 2000.

--EDIT-- Trenz, thanks for helping but the file you mentioned works just fine. The problem is when I get to windowsupdate.microsoft.com I get the error message on that URL.

Robert, thanks also for the help. I wish I could find anything like what you're talking about in Windows 2000. How can you tell if a file is ActiveX? What extension will it have?
the windows folder is I think winnt on windows2000.

deleted all of the files in that folder doesn't mean any harm, but then you have to download the applets that you installed again.

I ran into that article earlier but assumed it wouldn't apply as it was only listed for Win 98/ME. However I replaced the wupdinfo.dll file with a different one that I found online and all seems to be working fine now! :D

Thanks a ton for your help Trenz(Hrc), Robert, and Todd!

Back