• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows web hosting

panagirik

Is there any point in starting your business from Windows web hosting? M6.net seems a good company for it with their affordable prices and friendly support.
Has anybody already used them?

I don't like it, I have a windows server and it's always slow. And it's running a 2.8GHZ Processor!

If your project or web site needs windows go with company offering windows deals.
Just look at the reviews. If they quite old - try to find their customer forum

Make some search on hosts offering Windows as Linux application, you may overcome cost and security drawbacks of Windows.

Sorry to bring this up, but there is a reason for Windows being slower. It uses much more memory to store data. Windows is best used for data storage and recovery. Linux is best used to execute programs/scripts.

Well - i don't think the question is properly being addressed.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.... It all depends on your needs. It's not matter of speed, but a matter if you need ASP.NET or MSSQL? There are certain programming languages and databases which can only run on Windows efficiently. Yes you can find Linux Hosting with ASP - but it has some issues and at times can be very picky.

So to better answer your question, why do you think you need windows hosting?

I agree with tyvo. One point to consider is that linux is free (mostly) and windows will cost you extra.

I prefer linux for server use though, even on my Vista workstation I use Apache, PHP and mySQL instead of the built in IIS (with ASP,msSQL etc)

I say only use Windows Server, if you need it. For example, only use it if you are developing your site in ASP, or .NET. Other than that go for a Linux based server, because in most cases its cheaper and there are more providers offering it.

Don't forget you can get Windows as the application for Linux and go with a cheaper Linux host.
I think that his choice is depended on his wishes ;). His projects requries to be hosted on windows wen hosting and nothing can't be done with that.

Don't forget you can get Windows as the application for Linux and go with a cheaper Linux host.
Not all. I read some people suggest to run ASP on Linux, but I dont think it's a good idea. ASP, .NET should be run on Windows - its natural environment.

Back