• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Worst browsers?

Koolguy

What is the browser you guys hate the most, It used to be netscape for me until I managed to get my pages to look ok in it. Right now its the MSN Explorer, damn thing is geared for total newbie's; nuthin good for anyone advanced.

i agree, i installed it and found out there is no menu at the top... and i couldn't get rid of the huge sidebar... damn Microsoft to hell. Right now I use IE 5.5 and Netscape 6 PR3.... Netscape crashes too much, but it has potential.

I haven't used many other browsers apart from the big 2. I've meddled with Opera and I like its speed, thats about it.

I use IE 5.5... which I like pretty well... it allows you to do more then Netscape.. I do agree though, Netscape does error a lot... but there's something very homey about it.
I used to have Netscape until my computer almost crashed, and I had to cut down on things; I was firmly advised to get rid of Netscape.. v_v

I had NeoPlanet for a while (not knowing it was an internet browser... haha) But it kinda stunk @_@ Besides..., people are used to netscape, and exspecially IE... so you should work with them so people view your page right ^_^

What irks me half to death is that people use different resolution... so it's so hard to know what to resolution to make your page so people view it right! Ah! @_@

Ah oh well, I can just blabber on!!! v_v
~CW

Originally posted by Koolguy
What is the browser you guys hate the most, It used to be netscape for me until I managed to get my pages to look ok in it. Right now its the MSN Explorer, damn thing is geared for total newbie's; nuthin good for anyone advanced.

Netscape! Netscape must die!!! My pages look great in IE, but they do "funny stuff" in Netscape. About 70% of my visitors use IE, so I guess it could be worse.

I agree, netscape is really weird. Sometimes it totally messes up a page for no reason at all other times it displays it just fine. It also has a tendancy to mess up your page more often if your code is simple then bloated and messy.

I use both IE5 and netscape 4.7 parallel

My experience is that you do as s*hitty HTML code as you like and IE doesn't care...it somehow autocorrects things...It does not care if there is ending TABLE-tag missing or links are written like:
http://mysite.com\folder\mypage.html

Netscape forces people to write the HTML properly - which is GOOD!

It is just with every MS product - they think user is dummy and they try to make the life "easier" *phew*

NS looks often better though as I said it requires a bit work to do everything right...

IE is a bit more reliable but it mixes cookies and messes things when using it. But I like some features they have (links changes color on mouse over and so on)

Haven't tried Opera, but downloaded it - It is even more strict with HTML-code than NS. I was going to use it as "validator" which means that probebly if I get everything looking good in Opera it mostly will look good in NS and IE too (note, this is justa theory, haven't tried it yet!)

Netscape evil.

I just love MSIE 5.5, you can say about MS what you want but Internet Explorer is an awesome product... and it's free :)

Somewhere along the road netscape started screwing up and limping behind IE.

My HTML coding is correct... The probs I have with NS seem to be with tables. Most of my sites require the tables to be a certain size for it all to look good and for some reason things size different in NS... If you have both browsers, take a look at http://www.alexiacafe.com in both and you'll see. It looks great in IE, but seems to be out of whack in NS. I don't know about Opera... I don't have it, but if someone does and would like to let me know how it looks, it would be appreciated. :)

I just looked..

I just looked in Opera at http://www.alexiacafe.com and it looks exactly the same to me, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if I hadn't have known..
Oh yeah..worst browser, it depends, I hate IE for many reasons, I also hate Netscape for many reasons. All I can say is GO OPERA! :)

Originally posted by Mandrake
My HTML coding is correct... The probs I have with NS seem to be with tables. Most of my sites require the tables to be a certain size for it all to look good and for some reason things size different in NS... If you have both browsers, take a look at http://www.alexiacafe.com in both and you'll see. It looks great in IE, but seems to be out of whack in NS. I don't know about Opera... I don't have it, but if someone does and would like to let me know how it looks, it would be appreciated. :)

I have the same problem all the time. That's the only reason that I have Nutscrape on my computer anyway. You need to be really careful with your tables, and use less table tags. To see an example, check out http://www.netcabins.com/newdesign/oldindex.html in IE but then compare it to how it looks in NS. I have fixed this so it looks fine in both browsers, at http://www.netcabins.com/newdesign/newindex.html . You can take a look at my coding for reference as it might help you out.

Tom

An old, old opinion of mine

Here's a strong, old opinion of mine. All browsers suck. Browsers should load all pages perfectly (which IE does), they should NEVER/very rarely crash (which IE mostly holds up to), they should be fast (which I guess Opera does), and they should ACTUALLY MAKE SOME SENSE. I really like IE but Netscape has a few things that IE should have but doesn't. Little things. Favorites should be called Bookmarks; favorites is a stupid name for that and Bookmarks is cool. IE should have a built-in file viewer or should be able to use a file viewer of your choice.. not just Notepad. If someone could hack all 3 of the browsers and take the best features of them and put them together, we would have a nice browser. Really, anyone who wants to make a whole new browser will get a look from me. I really hate all browsers except IE and that one isn't too amazing either.

Another thing, browsers should automatically adjust the view of web sites, so that no matter what resolution your screen is in, the page is viewed in 640*480 or 800*600 resolution size. That way pages would look good for ALL users and people wouldn't have to use percentages, etc. in their coding just to make their design look slightly better than terrible for most of the other Internet users.

[Edited by NC_TOM on 11-08-2000 at 04:26 PM]

WHOA! I jsy downloaded amaya from the w3c and almost every page ive gone to looks totally messed up, way worse then Netscape.

The biggest problem I have with Netscape is that is misinterperets a lot of HTML and still fails as of the latest 4.X release to support basic HTML standards that have been in use for several years now (such as the IFRAME tag). Basically, it seems like Netscape stopped all real development 2-3 years ago and has since been working on commercializing the product and adding more useless programs to the default install.

Also, I hate to say it, but the Netscape 6 preview looks like crap. Even a friend of mine who is a die-hard Netscape fan said if the final Netscape 6 looks like that, he might have to switch to IE.

It really would be better for the web if everyone used one browser. There would be no need to worry about designing pages to work in a number of browsers, nor would there be a worry of visiting a site that was optimized for a browser other than the one you're using and having it look awful or be completely unusable.

Checked alexiacafe with both browsers and...

...well, it looks better with IE - have to admit, but to make it look good in NS too, you have to define the width of cell for each cell. Try with these attributes:

(this was copied below your applet-ticker)

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=33%>
<FONT FACE="MS Sans Serif" SIZE="1">
<B>GRAND OPENING!</B><BR>We're happy to an

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=17%>
<A HREF="http://www.vstore.com/cgi-bin/p

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=50%>
<B>FROM THE WEBMASTER!</B><BR>First off

To make everything look good in NS you have to use strict HTLM which means not to forget to defive every single attribute, tedious, but you get clean code.

Hope this helps

(your page is slow like a hell... too much third-party content!!)

Re: I just looked..

Originally posted by chococat
I just looked in Opera at http://www.alexiacafe.com and it looks exactly the same to me, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if I hadn't have known..
Oh yeah..worst browser, it depends, I hate IE for many reasons, I also hate Netscape for many reasons. All I can say is GO OPERA! :)

Thanks for checking... I used to have Opera on my system, but it was a beta, I believe, and it expired. Wasn't too bad from what I recall though. :)

Has anyone here ever used one called TOBE (The Other Browser/E-mail)? I tried it once and it showed promise, but needed further development. Never have gone back to see if a newer version has been released.

Re: Checked alexiacafe with both browsers and...

Originally posted by kyber

...well, it looks better with IE - have to admit, but to make it look good in NS too, you have to define the width of cell for each cell. Try with these attributes:

(this was copied below your applet-ticker)

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=33%>
<B>GRAND OPENING!</B><BR>We're happy to an

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=17%>
<A HREF="http://www.vstore.com/cgi-bin/p

<TD ALIGN=LEFT VALIGN=TOP WIDTH=50%>
<B>FROM THE WEBMASTER!</B><BR>First off

To make everything look good in NS you have to use strict HTLM which means not to forget to defive every single attribute, tedious, but you get clean code.

Hope this helps

It helped it quite a bit.. THanks. I had figured I probably should define something in there, but like everyone says; with IE, you can be lazy and it still works. Simply defining one cell size and then having an image define another worked. With NS, it did not. :(

(your page is slow like a hell... too much third-party content!!)

Interesting... About two weeks ago, I had someone comment that they thought my site was pretty fast for all the 3/p that I have there. I have noticed some slow times to it lately... I think it's the stock ticker that's holding it up. Never had any slowness before that. :(

Re: Re: Checked alexiacafe with both browsers and...

Interesting... About two weeks ago, I had someone comment that they thought my site was pretty fast for all the 3/p that I have there. I have noticed some slow times to it lately... I think it's the stock ticker that's holding it up. Never had any slowness before that. :(

It could have been my connection too - never know :)

I noticed that orbit cycle -banners were *very* slow...
and perhaps that applet too ...

cheers,
kyber

Re: Re: Re: Checked alexiacafe with both browsers and...

Originally posted by kyber

It could have been my connection too - never know :)

I noticed that orbit cycle -banners were *very* slow...
and perhaps that applet too ...

cheers,
kyber

Yeah... I think it was around the time that I added OrbitCycle that it seemed slower to me at times... I was testing them out for the future when I start selling ad space on some of my sites... Right now they're running banners for some of the free services I use. I may check out some other similar services to see if there's any speed increase.

I use IE and that's pretty good...I haven't used Netscape...I'd say the worst browser is the WebTV browser...they suck....you can't see any java or javascript among others

Back