• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Would like to request who left rep enabled

Yeah, that's not a problem. I've left some negative rep in the past but big whoop. Let's do this!

I agree with Jan, removing -rep manually is just not going to happen. And I've checked there is no way of removing all in the admin.

So, it comes down to if members in general will accept this change. The problem is again that members have beleived those reps would not be made public. I guess those of you posting in this thread don't have too much of a problem with it. We need to find out what others think first though. My suggestion is we delay this 1-3 months and during that time inform all members of this change. If there is any serious complaint during this time, we can figure out what to do then. What do you think?

I think enabling it now would not cause much of a problem, but if you feel that a time frame is necessary, then so be it. If so, 1 month should be more than plenty for those who have been handing out -rep like trick or treat candy to put an end to it and realize that any -rep they continue to dish out is going to become known once the feature is enabled.

I agree with Jan, removing -rep manually is just not going to happen. And I've checked there is no way of removing all in the admin.

So, it comes down to if members in general will accept this change. The problem is again that members have beleived those reps would not be made public. I guess those of you posting in this thread don't have too much of a problem with it. We need to find out what others think first though. My suggestion is we delay this 1-3 months and during that time inform all members of this change. If there is any serious complaint during this time, we can figure out what to do then. What do you think?

Well, the only people who would be concerned about it are people who have abused the reputation system in the past. I don't see why anyone would be even remotely concerned about people seeing who gave them positive and negative reps, provided the negative reps were not abusive in nature.

If a member on this forum has a lot of reputation and is abusing the system, why should you defend them? They may not like it, but it should stop virtually every person who has been abusing the reputation from doing it any further regardless on if it was in the past or present.

I'm honestly not sure why you're concerned about this.

Just enable it. If we -rep people, and people want to know about it, it is their rights.
At least, we will be able to know who hate us and who is ok with us.
And of course, those oversellers kiddie hosters will not dare to simply -rep person who criticized their wrong practice with only single words such as "Mcdonalds" from now on.

@Tyler,
I believe you will see my name in your -rep in the past, during the time I was having forum war with you, on those post that I disagree with you.
I not mistaken, there is a few -rep in total at that time.
:)

@Tyler,
I believe you will see my name in your -rep in the past, during the time I was having forum war with you, on those post that I disagree with you.
I not mistaken, there is a few -rep in total at that time.
:)

I think I will piss off some people here too ;)
But who cares, it will be better this way.

I think I will piss off some people here too ;)
But who cares, it will be better this way.

Better to admit 1st before get caught.
Since I did it, so it is not a problem for me to admit it.
Plus, I think he already know I was one of the person to -rep him when I was in war with him anyway.

Better to admit 1st before get caught.
Since I did it, so it is not a problem for me to admit it.
Plus, I think he already know I was one of the person to -rep him when I was in war with him anyway.

Yeah, I knew. If I recall right I gave you some negative in turn as well a few months ago :)

I'd be curious to know what the benefits would be of repping if we are going to go public with it. Would we still need a repping system? Why can't we just give a positive review about how great the post has been in a response to the post? If the content of a post is factually incorrect, then obviously that would be automatically sorted out in the discussion. Isn't that the only thing we need to be concerned about anyway when it is a less than quality post, i.e. whether the content is factually correct?

I'd be curious to know what the benefits would be of repping if we are going to go public with it. Would we still need a repping system? Why can't we just give a positive review about how great the post has been in a response to the post? If the content of a post is factually incorrect, then obviously that would be automatically sorted out in the discussion. Isn't that the only thing we need to be concerned about anyway when it is a less than quality post, i.e. whether the content is factually correct?

The entire purpose of a reputation system is to determine who is trustworthy and who is not. It's obviously not foolproof and people can gang up on others. That being said, by having the reputation system the way it is now it's more of a power game then anything. By removing anonymous reps you also end that power game.

To be honest, reputation should be completely removed from posts and restricted to members profiles (I.E., 1 star - 5 star system) to determine how many people like that person. Additionally, if it could be made so only hosts can be rated that would make more sense to me.

But for now, removing anonymous reps would be a major step forward. No more power game - no more members rage quitting this forum. I'm sure the reputation system as-is has played a bigger role in this forum losing active members then just people getting bored from lack of new content.

I don't mind, I think I'm in good standing.

Latest Reputation Received (1241 point(s) total)

95% of the people who leave me rep, whether it be positive or negative, have been nice enough to attach their name.

Actually the main purpose is to reduce the possibility of members abusing the rep system.
As you can see, some of us who are already old members here, are tempted to abuse the rep system when there is war in this forum, because when we -rep someone, only the mods will know who is the person who -rep, and not the person who get the -rep.

Another idea:
All -rep (including old -rep) will be public and no longer anonymous 3 months from now. That way people have time to adjust. If you want -rep you've given in the past removed, we can look into that during the 3 month period. Not sure how much work that would be, so it's just a thought at this time.

I have an old Ad-Trash penalty from a very long time ago that was reversed a couple days later. Can I get that removed?

At a sky high level, Repping is good, because it hits an emerging new situation on the web, "how to quickly judge the quality of the poster". Playing it straight up, if someone quietly collects kudos for good comments, slowly it seeps into the atmosphere. If someone for example insists on the U-Word for specs, they will collect Reds. That cumulative part is important.

As for the whole power thing, that's just a people-side weakness with any system of influence. There's no easy answer. The first issue to emerge with public reps is "Let's All Smile" - when you see a new Red, the aggressive reaction would be to Red back in revenge. So I suggest we could use some kind of other factor for "receiving a Red but not retailiating back to the same user". (50% credit? So if you act like a moron, someone calls you on it, you get Redded, but you take it like a champ, the system gives you 50% credit for not playing Gotcha. But if you do Red back, you lose the credit. I know, it gets complicated Game-Theory wise, but otherwise you can get little swirls of Race-To-The-Bottom.)

Does anyone know the chart of the funny titles per rep? The +Rep has a whole lot, far more than I expected, and it would be funny to see the -Rep ones. :)

Does anyone know the chart of the funny titles per rep? The +Rep has a whole lot, far more than I expected, and it would be funny to see the -Rep ones. :)

reputation_manager.png

I'm confused, I'm only at "Name known to all" but I have 809 points, I don't really think I had like 300 reds early on.

I'm confused, I'm only at "Name known to all" but I have 809 points, I don't really think I had like 300 reds early on.

The table that I posted above is the vBulletin default rep titles and minimum values needed. It's possible that Peo or Jan adjusted the points needed.

Back