• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Writing on the wall?

jiminsd

Have you noticed that we are having fewer good choices? Free web hosting, as we know it, seems to be rapidly coming to an end. I'm not talking about the small ones (gcsnet) that come and go within a few weeks or months.

First went the no-ad hosts (RedRival-gone, Prohosting-now ads, Crosswinds-now ads). And now, big ad host are starting to go under (NBC-i and Geocities). The banner ad supported hosts must be having trouble as shown with Hypermart/VirtualAve and others now putting pop-ups on their in-line banner sites. No body wants to say it but when will the f2s shoe drop?

The only silver lining is that paid hosting continues to drop down to being a real bargain.

it's all bush's fault! that little bastard is destroying california and destroying silicon valley which destroys the economy which destroys the world wide web. bush is to blame!

he's the uber president, what do you expect?

actually, he does know how to use email. he sent out a press release about a month ago that he was going to stop using it, as email is in the public domain and he wanted his personal correspondence to be kept private.

Support Ads

Yes i am also so much concerned about this problem.What we can do Support Ads??.

Originally posted by icreation
it's all bush's fault! that little bastard is destroying california and destroying silicon valley which destroys the economy which destroys the world wide web. bush is to blame!

I completly agree with icreation, watch by the end of his the little twirp might have all the money the goverment has used up with his "plans" and start taxing us more. Also during Clintons the webserver companys werent going down this fast. Its like there is three or four dying each month man thas scary. What will happen next if all the webserver companys shut down?

The Republicans are the ones who invented the internet, so go shove it. Bush is a very smart person who actually plays Civilization II... that was in a news article. If it wasn't for us captialists ,you wouldn't be on your computers! HAHA!

Poor you. I'm so happy I use the Internet and not the USnet. Sounds awful. Come and join! :p

Better than supporting some lousy Bureaucrat who doesn't do anything for the economy just increase taxes for everyone. Bush wants to cut taxes for the Upper and Middle Classes..

bush hasn't done anything in the white house... just talked about it... and all the stuff he said he was going to do hasn't happened! he wants to cut taxes for the upper and middle classes... in other words the rich get richer and poor get poorer.

republicans = capitalists

and in response to we wouldn't have the internet if it weren't for capitalism. your wrong. that may be true for computers but not for the internet. the internet was a government backed operation and not one of those developers is rich today, not one! so before you open your mouth do some research or reword what you say.

Republican = One who believes you can be, or do anything you strive for
Democrat = One who believes that working for success is a waste of effort... Let the rest of the world support you while you look for freebies, and complain that they're too much work to look for.

in response to:

Republican = One who believes you can be, or do anything you strive for
Democrat = One who believes that working for success is a waste of effort... Let the rest of the world support you while you look for freebies, and complain that they're too much work to look for.

im not either to state the truth and both could go to hell for all i care but the republican statement is true but more like this:

Republican = One who believes you can be, or do anything you strive for if you are born rich.

Originally posted by jiminsd
Have you noticed that we are having fewer good choices? Free web hosting, as we know it, seems to be rapidly coming to an end. I'm not talking about the small ones (gcsnet) that come and go within a few weeks or months.

First went the no-ad hosts (RedRival-gone, Prohosting-now ads, Crosswinds-now ads). And now, big ad host are starting to go under (NBC-i and Geocities). The banner ad supported hosts must be having trouble as shown with Hypermart/VirtualAve and others now putting pop-ups on their in-line banner sites. No body wants to say it but when will the f2s shoe drop?

I dont know about others in my position, but I for one am concerned about what will happen if both Geo and NBCI close their freehosting doors. What is that? About 18 million websites combined? So figure that about 5 million of those are legit and actually in use....what happens to other FWP's when those 5 million+ website owners scramble to find other free hosts? If we got too many coming to WZ, I would close signups for a while....That would be the smart business move because within a week of that happening, many existing fwp's will be overflooded with new signups and go under....as will this forum. The rest of ya can go for broke(and it will make you broke), I will do a temporary lockdown if it happens.

Webdude,
I was thinking that I wanted your take on this topic with you being both a free and a paid host. Which one makes you more money for your time? Is the squeeze from banner income having an effect? Also, how is it with the paid host? There seems to be more competition at your price point everyday.

Well, that's a bit hard. You have to remember that the way things are setup over at WZ, that WorldzonePro is Worldzone's only major advertisor. The others are basically just 'fill ins' to keep our own ads from showing on every impression.

Rates and click thru's are definitly dropping. Our own click thru rate has gone down, but in the same respect, our impressions have shot upwards... 11 million banner views per month average now, but only a .54% clickthru rate, which used to be as high as 2%. So much for the bragging rights I had..LOL

However, you can figure different numbers into this. I dont know what they are right now, but you take that .54% clickthru's, figure out how many of those were Pro ads, and how many of those signed up for Pro, and the revenue for each click starts to skyrocket. Close to 90% of our paid accounts come from free accounts that switch over. Right now the Free/Paid hosting combo is becoming quite profitable..but I have no doubts that if Geo/Xoom were to get shut down, that combo would become lopsided and would fail unless free signups were shut down for a bit.

This is what Yahoo is trying to do now, except they may think that by shutting down the free and coming out with the pay, they will be able to make it. They might make it, but they are trying to move into and industry that even more competitive that the free hosting. I dont envy the people working there, and I am glad our company never went public. Where after 3 years we are finally becoming profitable and getting bigger each day...the public companies are feeling the heat from Nasdaq and probably dread ever going public now :)

But hey, they got $millions$ from going public. What did they do with it? Where's all that money now? I know how it all works, personally I have always felt that if you need to go public to make money, maybe you shouldnt be in the business. Expansion or new product development is one thing, but not to "start" a web based company. I think what you are going to see is that a lot of public 'tech web based' companies(Directories, Auctions, Travel, Books, etc), will fall out unless they go from free to subscription. Or in the cases like Amazon, charge more. Even that may not work this late in the game.

At that point, you will start to see a number of private companies that have been in the shadows start to emerge. Once the dust settles in the tech stock industry, these private (and profitable) companies may start going public to gain expansion revenue. That's where the real money with longterm profits will be.

Watch and I bet you I am right. I have made a lot of predictions here in the past, and most came true. One I remember from a long time ago was that companies like Amazon would eventually fail because their plan has serious faults. They sell for less than what they pay. How do you profit with a plan like that? Too bad I wasnt watching stocks and news back when this all started. As good as I am at predicting the outcome of things, I would be filthy rich by now....

And yes, hosting is getting cheaper too. What's going to set the hosting companies apart is support and reliability, as well as quality and speed. Many are already closing doors. Even Pro has faltered in the reliability issue, it is far better now, but it's still down about 2 hours a week, which is still too much. While I am on the subject, a 99.9% uptime guarantee is just as misleading as the 'unlimited' options, which is why I dont have a 99.9% uptime guarantee since most of the time it is the NOC's fault :)

Ok, well I guess I will shutup now, that's my .02 cents ($10 with tax)

[Edited by Webdude on 04-30-2001 at 05:31 AM]

Thanks Webdude for your insight. Also interesting about your free space customers feeding into you paid customers. That makes sense... great plan. I think your right. There will be another growth period after the fallout. This time it will be based on a profitable business model.

You've also convinced me that when I move something from a paid host, I will go with you. I want to be with hosts that will stick around through the changes.

[Edited by jiminsd on 04-30-2001 at 11:06 AM]

Back