• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

You people are greedy!

Toefur

Two Sheds
NLC
HehHeh... kidding, but I just had a thought!

I've been running the trial-test-beta (whatever) version thing of my free webhost, and I've noticed that the majority of people don't want any fancy features or anything.

I already knew this, but it is even less people than I originally thought.

The majority of test users have used under 100mb bandwidth per month, some even under 50.

Only a few needed a few hundred mb per month, and only 2 or 3 wanted one gig.

The ones that wanted a gig or two, are the ones that wanted features like php, mysql, etc.

Most people used about 5-10 mb of space, and that was just for pictures of their dog.

The filesize limit didn't affect anyone, except for one person that obviously doesn't know the meaning of image compression.

So, these findings... although probably already rather obvious, has shown me how to keep a sustainable, decent, free webhost.

- Offer no features,
and if you do offer features
- Make them pay for them.

:cool:

And you've finally figured out what Geocities and Anglefire have known all along :D *nudge poke* Seriously though, common sense helps... you can't sell milk if you give away free cows. Errrrr... something like that... :confused:

Originally posted by Chicken
And you've finally figured out what Geocities and Anglefire have known all along :D *nudge poke* Seriously though, common sense helps... you can't sell milk if you give away free cows. Errrrr... something like that... :confused:

ROTFLMAO

Originally posted by Chicken

:confused2

Maybe you ought to wait a year or two until their sites are more complete and established and more popular before coming to conclusions like that.

The peeps who wanted large bandwidth limits and every type of scripting available are either people who know they'll need the bandwidth for their scripts, or losers who are just plain greedy.

Originally posted by LeX
Maybe you ought to wait a year or two until their sites are more complete and established and more popular before coming to conclusions like that.

The peeps who wanted large bandwidth limits and every type of scripting available are either people who know they'll need the bandwidth for their scripts, or losers who are just plain greedy.
or maybe prepares for a day where lots of users come and the person learns that scripting language.

Its quite true. Most people are happy with family websites ore those silly black and yellow fan pages, b/c they don't want to spend hours on websites.

I think the people like myself who like to get extravagant websites with all the bells for free are just fooling themselves. We all know free webhosting as we knew it is dead. Sure you have a few webhosts that offer something and die, but really there are no Expert webhost out there.

Just bight the bullet and pay some cash, Or just host on your own machine. or tone your site down.

Originally posted by spec
Its quite true. Most people are happy with family websites ore those silly black and yellow fan pages, b/c they don't want to spend hours on websites.

I think the people like myself who like to get extravagant websites with all the bells for free are just fooling themselves. We all know free webhosting as we knew it is dead. Sure you have a few webhosts that offer something and die, but really there are no Expert webhost out there.

Just bight the bullet and pay some cash, Or just host on your own machine. or tone your site down.

Your exactly right. That's why I quit with free sites and paid. It's not that much if you are willing to pay in the long run, and it really helps if you have a business.

Hahaha, 50mb of transfer is like 5,000 visitors a month, the most bandwith I've ever used was 3.6gb, it was odd..and hey, RK, aren't you the one who designed Zack's site? And how do you make those graphics on your frontpage? I mean with what Painter program?

You have a TINY site if you can get 5,000 visitors in 50 megabytes. 50 megabytes of transfer is more like 1,000 visitors for an average sized website.

Back