• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please Reopen The Longest Thread in the World!!

Peo said:
Well, I see no need to change the rules for that forum and nobody has presented any reason why we should do that or what rule should be changed. The warning was for posting a referral link, why should we allow referral links?

Peo,

I agree with not being allowed to post refferal links. Most refferal links, are a way for someone to make money, each time someone else clicks on the link. You have no idea, what you will be clicking on half of the time.

I will be straight with you man. When I first joined this forum way back when. I joined it, because I was looking for a place to go, that involved other webmasters.

I stumbled across this forum and many others in the search engines. What made me want to come back to it, time and time again, was the friendly people. People offering advice, guidance. If I didn't understand something, then someone explained it to me.

I am not saying change all the rules and abolish any of them. I am just saying that when someone clicks on the announcement and reads the rules. The rules don't really apply to all the forums.

With testing things out. The only thing that should really be there is posting refferal links and such.

Also, I have never understood why everyone is uptight about posting links to their forums. If people really love this forum, then nothing would make them change and go to another one. I belong to a few myself actually, and I go to them all the time.

Like I said, just my 2 cents.

This was my first forum every that I joined, and I like to see it be the way it was when I did join and be a lot more in the future.

I don't remember that when I joined I was prompted of the rules. Perhaps you should set up a welcome PM dictating them if you havn't already?

And also, Peo/Jan, whoever, what are the nitty picky rules on advertising? Are you allowed to say something like "YES! Finally figured out the code for mysite.com!"? Are you allowed to talk about other peoples sites eg "YeOldeForum sucks!" (just an example :p)? And if other people talk about your site are you allowed to discuss them?

You ruined the actually meaningful conversation some of us were beginning to have about the dialects of English!

By the way, I was warned for posting in German, but did that contribute as "spam." I agree that I deserved that warning, but I hope I wasn't part of the cause of its closing.

I have never in my life seen so much a-fuss about this thread. in fact, in all my memory, the only times I have ever seen it closed are in these last few months.

TM, spam as advertising is pretty straightforward and is outlined the rules thread;

rules said:
1. Spam and referral links are not allowed (this includes cafepress and cafeshops). You can not promote your own website here. This includes co-branded free hosts. And you're not allowed to post a URL where you get money or some type of compensation by referring others. It is however ok to post your website URL in your profile and/or in your signature.

Converstation about your site and troubles or w/e would not be considered spam IMO, as long as its not like Join MYSITE.com/visit MYSITE.com, check out MYSITE.com ONLY AT MYSITE>COM, etc. etc.

Matt8 said:
I have never in my life seen so much a-fuss about this thread.
That would be because nobody ever reported anything from that thread from memory. It is not a place we normally frequent. But following the report I found many, many rules broken and that was just in the last couple of pages at that time. Peo reopened it after a bit stating that the rules needed to be followed in there as well.

It isn't rocket science, it isn't an IRC chat room, it is a discussion forum.
And also, Peo/Jan, whoever, what are the nitty picky rules on advertising? Are you allowed to say something like "YES! Finally figured out the code for mysite.com!"? Are you allowed to talk about other peoples sites eg "YeOldeForum sucks!" (just an example )? And if other people talk about your site are you allowed to discuss them?
Why not contain those sort of posts to the main forum? If the site owner is a member here you can't comment detrimentally about their site (xyzsite sucks), you can however give constructive criticism if they put a site up for review in the appropriate forum.

Please just reallize that you not aloud to spam in The Longest Thread ever. So it can be opened again! If you want i can be the officail The longest thread ever moniter! And post every time someone spams! (which hopefully will be never!

You know, taking away the Longest Thread is like taking away the color from an apple: not needed, but a whole lot better with it.

Yes, apples and forums are better with the colourful skins :) But sometimes worms sneak in and spoil it, so we need bug spray. When we get rid of bugs that ail it, we will have a good apple variety :angel:

On that note, I am off to bed. :wave:

Jan said:
Yes, apples and forums are better with the colourful skins :) But sometimes worms sneak in and spoil it, so we need bug spray. When we get rid of bugs that ail it, we will have a good apple variety :angel:

On that note, I am off to bed. :wave:

Good suggestion for you. Why not, assign someone as moderator there for that forum alone. Meaning that who ever is the moderator is the moderator for that forum itself.

They can frequent the forum on a daily basis, and anyone found breaking the rules or anything, will get warned, and if they do it again, then we can ban them for like say 2 or 3 days.

I would however, assign someone that you can trust, and won't abuse the power. Just my 2 cents again. I have done this before.

Good suggestion for you. Why not, assign someone as moderator there for that forum alone. Meaning that who ever is the moderator is the moderator for that forum itself.

They can frequent the forum on a daily basis, and anyone found breaking the rules or anything, will get warned, and if they do it again, then we can ban them for like say 2 or 3 days.

I would however, assign someone that you can trust, and won't abuse the power. Just my 2 cents again. I have done this before.

A lot of big forums have forum leaders. It's something I think FWS should look into.

I,ve been here for just a week and as far as I knew you guys had a system with warnings and bans etc. So why don't you just use this system and let it be if it matters to you so much then realy you need to find more people to join the forums to break other rules because it sounds like your getting bored.

I,ve been here for just a week and as far as I knew you guys had a system with warnings and bans etc. So why don't you just use this system and let it be if it matters to you so much then realy you need to find more people to join the forums to break other rules because it sounds like your getting bored.
Trust us, we have enough to keep us busy without having to go to that thread looking for someone to warn :tired2: It would make life much easier if they could just accept that the rules apply to everyone.

Trust us, we have enough to keep us busy without having to go to that thread looking for someone to warn :tired2: It would make life much easier if they could just accept that the rules apply to everyone.

You know that wont ever happen.

BTW, thanks for the special treatment I get (LOL, JUST KIDDING, DONT WANT TO CAUSE A RIOT) :lol:

Back