• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A domain trapped in a subdomain's body

Dusty

NLC
NLC
I don't know where best to put this, it doesn't really fit in Domain Registration or anywhere else, so I'll post here.

First the groundwork: In a project I'm planning there will be one or more domains off of which are hundreds to thousands of subdomains.

Now, while I could treat each of these like a regular subdomain ("blahblah IN A ####"...), it would be an awful lot simpler for me if these subdomains could just be treated as domains, have nameservers assigned to them, then let them worry about their own DNS. I know this is possible and it's been done before, but I've no clue at all on how to go about it. I'd imagine some involvement with a couple of NS records ("blahblah IN NS nameserver."...) but I'm not clear as to the execution of this.

Does anyone know how to do this or where to find out?

Okay, I think I've got it pretty well figured out. Let's say my domain is joe.com. I'd first reference my own nameservers (dick.com's):

Code:
joe.com. IN NS ns1.dick.com.
joe.com. IN NS ns2.dick.com.

Then I'd define a subdomain bob.joe.com and tell the DNS that it's to be handled by someplace else (harry.com's nameservers):

Code:
bob.joe.com. IN NS ns1.harry.com.
bob.joe.com. IN NS ns2.harry.com.

...but that won't work unless I've previously matched the two up with their IPs:

Code:
ns1.harry.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
ns2.harry.com. IN A 5.6.7.8

So, putting it altogether:

Code:
joe.com. IN NS ns1.dick.com.
joe.com. IN NS ns2.dick.com.
ns1.harry.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
ns2.harry.com. IN A 5.6.7.8
bob.joe.com. IN NS ns1.harry.com.
bob.joe.com. IN NS ns2.harry.com.

Doing that would make bob.joe.com be treated not as a subdomain but as a domain, correct? To anyone that knows and simply chose not to reply before, did I do anything wrong above or do I need something more?

Does anyone know of a DNS service that will allow me to do this? I don't know of many DNS services period, and those I do know of I'm not sure about (Granite Canyon looks like I could do this with them, but their past record's been a little splotchy; ZoneEdit offers some sort of NS record access, but with their interface I'm not sure if it's the same thing and their points-system of payment confuses me; UltraDNS might, but I'm not sure, I don't know which package they're describing on their services page matches up with which services on the order page; MyDomain and EveryDNS don't look like they offer this sort of thing).

So that is correct? Oh good. That's out of the way, then.

Now, lest anyone only skim my message and not read it fully, there is a second part still waiting for response.

Back