• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A few questions abour HTML

Re:

Originally posted by meow
Then your email client doesn't support it.

Yahoo SHOULD support forms. I got forms on other sites (same type of form as the one I'm having trouble with) to send to my account.

But please listen to what people try to tell you. If you choose the mailto option it has nothing to do with the server. It relies on the email client and basically sucks.

If you want to use a cgi script (which you should):

A. The host allows you to run your own scripts.
B. The host provides a script for you that you can use
C. If neither of the above apply use a remotely hosted service. Here is one. http://www.bravenet.com/samples/emailforms.php
You don't need to use their HTML. Just take the parts you need. I think there is a page describing how you do it step by step.

Re:

This afternoon, I wasted my time signing up with Bravenet. Their form(s) just screwed/messed up my HTML page. After that, I gave up and found out somewhere else. I tested the form again and it finaly sent to my E-mail address the way I wanted it to. It now works exactly like the forms that send to my E-mail address on those other sites. I didn't need CGI of any type, I didn't need PERL of any type, I didn't need a form mailer, and I didn't need ANY scripting.

Now the next step, once a visitor on my site clicks the "send" button, how do I get it so they go to a different page on my site? When I click the "send" button, my form sends to my E-mail address then it just takes me to the top of the page my form is on.

Last edited:
So, what did you use? I think you could share this wonderful new invention after a lot of us have "wasted our time" trying to help you.

Brevenet's code doesn't screw any HTML up. No action="blahblah" is capable of that. I said YOU DON'T NEED TO USE THEIR HTML. Did you even bother to read their instructions?

<<Spelling edited :eek: >>

Last edited:
Re:

YES, I READ EVERYTHING. I read all the replies posted to this topic and I read all Bravenet's instructions.

You guys refused to let me E-mail you my HTML file. You didn't even understand what kind of form I was making. Basically, I gave up after you guys getting me no where so I got help somewhere else.

So, what did you use? I think you could share this wonderfu new invention...

Okay, I started by copying the form off one of those other sites. I then pasted it into my real HTML page where I had the form that wasn't working. I copied the fields off the form that wasn't working then I pasted them over the fields on the form I got off that other site. Now the two forms were exactly the same, except of course one would send and the other one wouldn't. I then spent a long period of time studying the HTML source of both forms, but I couldn't figure out what was different. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Last edited:
Wait, I'm so very much more than confused at this point. You didn't use an email form, you didn't use a CGI script, what did you do? Would you mind telling us your URL? I tried your "www" button, but I didn't see a form on that site. Am I not looking hard enough?

:confused:

u can't send any forms without CGI...

if ur host has Frontpage Extensions Support or something, then u can do that form with frontpage 200x

of course u can use this...

<form method=post action="youremail@yourdomain.com">
<input type=text name="email">
<br>
<input type=submit value="send">
</form>

Re:

Originally posted by Dusty
Wait, I'm so very much more than confused at this point. You didn't use an email form, you didn't use a CGI script, what did you do? Would you mind telling us your URL? I tried your "www" button, but I didn't see a form on that site. Am I not looking hard enough?

My form is NOT uploaded to a website yet. The HTML file it is on is currently saved to my hard drive. I have to be on-line in order to send it to my E-mail address. Now, just let me E-mail you this HTML file and you can see for yourself what kind of form I'm making or I'll have to cheat and copy the form off that other site every time I want to make a form. BTW, I no longer have the form that wasn't working, the form from that other site went over the one that wasn't working.

Originally posted by -tuw-
u can't send any forms without CGI...

Yes I can, this now working form (the one I got off that other site) should work with ANY provider whether it has CGI or not.

Originally posted by -tuw-
if ur host has Frontpage Extensions Support or something, then u can do that form with frontpage 200x

I don't use FrontPage, I use Netscape Composer (the one built into the browser) then I modify the HTML source.

Last edited:
Dear Neil McRae,
Can you copy-paste? Then copy the FORM tag + any INPUT tags with the attribute type="hidden" and paste them in in your post.

Re:

Originally posted by gyrbo
So HOW did you do it? Can you give the source?

Dear Neil McRae,
Can you copy-paste? Then copy the FORM tag + any INPUT tags with the attribute type="hidden" and paste them in in your post.

I still think it would be better for me to E-mail you the HTML page with the form on it. Okay then, if you guys insist, here is the source of the form I'm making which sends to my E-mail address as an attachment:

<form method=post action="mailto:neil_mcrae@yahoo.com?subject=Comments - Stunts.net"
<table BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=3 WIDTH="617" >
<table BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=3 WIDTH="100%" >
<tr>
<td WIDTH="13%"><b>Your Name:</b></td>

<td><input TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Name"></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td WIDTH="13%"><b>Your E-mail:</b></td>

<td><input TYPE="TEXT" NAME="Email"></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td WIDTH="13%"><b>Comments:&nbsp;</b></td>

<td><textarea name="Comments" ROWS="7" COLS="76"></textarea></td>
</tr>
</table>

<p><b>Remember:</b> Click "submit" only once.
<p><input TYPE="submit" VALUE="Send">&nbsp;<input TYPE="reset" VALUE="Clear">
<br></form>

Here is the source of the form I got off that other site which sends to my E-mail address just the way I want it to:

<form method=post action="mailto:neil_mcrae@yahoo.com?subject=Keen Comments!" enctype="text/plain">
<table>
<tr>
<td>Name:&nbsp;</td>

<td><input name="Name" type="TEXT" cols=1 size="20"></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Email Address:&nbsp;</td>

<td><input name="Email" type="TEXT" cols=1 size="20"></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td>Comments:</td>

<td><textarea name="Other Comments" rows=10 cols=45 size="500"></textarea></td>
</tr>
</table>
&nbsp;
<br><input value="Send" type=submit>&nbsp;<input value="Start Again" type=reset></form>

Now, please look at the source of the two forms and tell me what is different. What am I doing wrong?

Re: Re:

Originally posted by Neil McRae

I still think it would be better for me to E-mail you the HTML page with the form on it. Okay then, if you guys insist, here is the source of the form I'm making which sends to my E-mail address as an attachment:

<form method=post action="mailto:neil_mcrae@yahoo.com?subject=Comments - Stunts.net">
<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>
</table>

<br></form>

[...]

You forgot a > in the first form.

<form method="post" action="mailto:you@domain.com" enctype="text/plain">

Originally posted by Neil McRae
<form method=post action="mailto:neil_mcrae@yahoo.com?subject=Keen Comments!" enctype="text/plain">

Oh wow! Putting in a subject line really did the trick, huh? :eek: Thanks for sharing.
:D

Re:

You forgot a > in the first form.

THAT didn't work. The form would still send to my E-mail address as an attatchment.

<form method="post" action="mailto:you@domain.com"
enctype="text/plain">

enctype="text/plain"

Yeah, it finaly worked. :) I didn't think I needed that, I thought that was for something else. Anyway, thanks meow.

Now, once a visitor on my site clicks the "send" button, how do I get it so they go to a different page on my site? When I click the "send" button, my form sends to my E-mail address then it just takes me to the top of the page my form is on.

Re:

<form .... OnSubmit="top.location='my_other_page.html';">

Can you please explain a bit more clearer? Where in the HTML source of my form do I put this code? Here is the HTML source of my now working form which sends to my E-mail address just fine:

<form method=post action="mailto:neil_mcrae@yahoo.com?subject=Comments - Stunts.net" enctype="text/plain">
<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

</tr>
</table>

<br></form>

Back