• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A New free host, poor speeds and downtime is an issue, but a new host

im just saying the free services companies you listed are all recieving ad revenue which pays for there services, or part of them. so thats how they can afford their domains.

where as sites like mine dont recieve revenue thus does not pay for a domain

look, if a company doesn't want to spend 10 bucks to buy a domain, then I personally am afraid to give them my money

as for a free host, I personally think they should get a domain, becaus so many people would be so skeptical. I would and it appears Lex would. Maybe you wouldn't, but that's 2 potential customers a company may have lost.

If someone can't spend 10 bucks (its just 10 bucks a year for goodness sake) to make sure they have a domain, then I personally don't think they know what their doing. www.company.com is much better than www.company.cjb.net

Not to mention CJb.net could easily start putting ads on their redirections, or they could simply take their buisness away. IF that happens, guess what....u should have just spent the blasted 10 bucks

well as I try to bring this Thread BACK to its originaly purpose I was wondering what everybody thought of TZN that signed up........well? Anybody? Comments?

notdotcom

I'm back early.
Things went well, and I see that lots of bitchin' and moanin' went on while I was away. Time to drop a little gas on the fire.

This is off-zack's topic again,
But, I would just like to add that another reason I do not want a .com is because I am only interested in a .ca

Now, the best and closest company I have found, registers .ca domains @ $35 a year.
That is still very cheap for me.
Don't bother telling me about any american companies that will do it for a little less because the exchange rate makes me want to pee on somebody's head.
It isn't the cost that bothers me, it's just the feeling that I"m being sucked dry for somebody else's economic troubles.
Scewie man. very screwie.

As for the crappola about cjb.net accounts only being for personal pages, I must once again bring up the fact that most companies used their ISP's super long webspace urls when the internet first bloomed. Some used their school's super long urls.
True, alot of them have moved on to domain names.
But, back in the old days nobody blinked twice if your web address was :
http://www3.isp.region.country.edu/members/personal/store/
Infact I watched quite a few small companies make a whole lot of money with crummy urls like that.

Infact, back in the early days of my comic series, when I used my isp's webspace as a site, I made an average of $1500 a week selling photocopy-format issues (of course that format has changed).
People didn't care back then about the size of a url.
The cyber community has become very snobby in recent times.
Shame. Shame.

A dotcom may look better on a calling card...
But, it all comes down to what the company/person provides.

This will be my last post on this subject.
back to you Zack, over at the news desk ... :devious2:

Re: notdotcom

Originally posted by Spookums

As for the crappola about cjb.net accounts only being for personal pages, I must once again bring up the fact that most companies used their ISP's super long webspace urls when the internet first bloomed. Some used their school's super long urls.
Infact I watched quite a few small companies make a whole lot of money with crummy urls like that.

Infact, back in the early days of my comic series, when I used my isp's webspace as a site, I made an average of $1500 a week selling photocopy-format issues (of course that format has changed).
People didn't care back then about the size of a url.
The cyber community has become very snobby in recent times.
Shame. Shame.

A dotcom may look better on a calling card...
But, it all comes down to what the company/person provides.

This will be my last post on this subject.
back to you Zack, over at the news desk ... :devious2:

well I have to reply to that. Yes your right, back in the day, having long url's was no problem. But that's the Magic of the Internet, it has grown incredibly fast, and stuff that was "back in the day" are now obsolete.

and yes a person with a .cjb.net may have one of the best hostings/offers in the world, but he doesn't have the will or the money to spend 10 bucks, then I PERSONALLY worry about joining his service...now 3 years ago, I might not have given it a second thought, but things were much much much much diffrent then they are today.

Let's use the example of a buisness card. If someone gives me a buisness card that is HAND WRITTEN it doesn't mean that their service isn't any good, but it does make me wonder how professional the buisness is. If you can't get a printing company to make buisness cards for you, then I would seriously laugh. If you can't get a company to register a domain for you, I would still laugh. I dont understand how this is "snobby" I mean if domains cost 100's of dollars to register, I would easily see exactly what you mean, but were not talking about hundreds of bucks, were talking about registering a quick and easy to remember domain for 10 bucks. Its more professional, its cheap, ur not on CJB's TOS, what exactly am I missing here?

Re: notdotcom

Originally posted by Spookums
You do realize that times have changed? You're talking about "back in the old days"..... yeah, back in the old days, domains costed $35 a year, you couldn't register one for less. And back in the old days, pages that are now considered childish and made-in-3-minutes were considered award-winning layouts back in the old days. The problem is, we aren't talking about the good old times. We're talking about NOW.

NOW, domains are cheap, affordable, and important for companies. For one thing, it's easier to remember, easier to type, and it's in your company's name!

Free service providers pay for their domains from money earned from ads? Okay...... you're cracking me up. So how come kids with domains with their own sites don't have any ads, yet these big companies do? The reason is very simple. They want to earn revenue/extra cash. But I'm positive that they can easily afford a 10 buck domain even without ads.... the ads are there mainly to pay for the bandwidth, not the domain.

So... if the cjb.net company had no domain name, they were offering their free services off of some other domain like http://www10.subject.universityname.edu/~useraccount/subdirectory/cjb ....... would you really think they'd be succesful? DUH~~~~~

kids with domains may want to make revenue to pay for there domain, i would but you have to be 18 years of age to use most of the top ones like commission junction, etc

Guys can u stop arguing about subdomains and top level domains? Well, anyway is anyone actually using this service? Does anyone know how it is??

Well could someone help me, my website is currenttly www.dufc.cjb.net (oh the shame of it :p )

I am under 18 and even though i run a personal website, well technically a fan website i am willing to pay around £20 for a top level domain. But ive tried before and failed because of my age.

Plus the domains I want are all taken, if i got a domain name it would probably end up being longer than my cjb address.

It would end up being something like

www.dundeeunitedfootballclubonline.com and that just sucks

you could always use dufcnet.com or something of the like for the domain name.

i think i read it here a while ago
you can get free domain names if you are an american.
the bad news?
its like this:
http://johnsmith.beverlyhills.california.us
actually i beleive its longer... cant quite remember.
bit of a LOL there, isnt it.

oh and why .cjb.net? why not .da.ru and all those others? is there any speed issues with them?

and to the person with dfcu.cjb.net or whatever it was who would need a really long .com name - why not .net or .org?

Back