• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A simplier approach

Giancarlo

NLC
NLC
I have been working on a more simple site because I received a few complaints about the loading time on the last one for slower internet connections. This new site isn't supposed to have a bunch of fancy stuff on it, but I would like to get your comments about it....

The address is:
http://www.glomar.net/gc/preview

I know it is simple, perhaps too simple but I really wanted to go with a different approach.

nice and fast

nice layout dude. It also loads really fast, but i think it is 2 plain. Add some more pictures of cool colors and spice it up a little!!

Content: n/a
Graphics: 85%
Design: 80%
Technical: 95%

Overall: (not an average): 85% - Good

Comments:
- Very very simple approach, but a bit too simple. Needs spicing up
- More graphics
- That sideline menu can be annoying to some
- Just too plain, needs some flavor

Add more color. You need to choose a few(I wouldn't go with many more than 4) basic colors to use as your site theme. I don't know what you're going to be doing for the rest of the site but keep the same theme throughout the site because otherwise it will look like you site is just a link page to other sites. Also, don't be afraid to make your site too exquisite. You have to be agressive with site design. Make your site something unique and offer something that is unique on the web. I know that you probably feel like you don't want to place your expectations too high but you want to offer a site to people that is going to catch their eye when they first see it and not after they have to browse through several pages.

Originally posted by Hatchet Ryda
Even though I'm not to fond of you I'd have to say the site has possibilities!
was that really necessary? what a nerd.

GC that banner/logo was meant for a darker background if you remember. Not good on white at all :(

Originally posted by Confuzzled
Add more color. You need to choose a few(I wouldn't go with many more than 4) basic colors to use as your site theme. I don't know what you're going to be doing for the rest of the site but keep the same theme throughout the site because otherwise it will look like you site is just a link page to other sites. Also, don't be afraid to make your site too exquisite. You have to be agressive with site design. Make your site something unique and offer something that is unique on the web. I know that you probably feel like you don't want to place your expectations too high but you want to offer a site to people that is going to catch their eye when they first see it and not after they have to browse through several pages.

I am probably going to choose some sort of light silver... but I am not going to be aggressive with my site design as this is a personal site.

I am probably going to add a few extra fast loading pictures.

The site doesn't get faster because you take away colors. It doesn't get noticeably faster because you take away text (in this case). It's faster because you've taken the flash stuff and all the little widgets away. So put the rest back.

Personally I hate those javascript floating boxes because they make me sick and I immediately see to to get them out of view or leave, but that's me. They seem as popular as tacky hierarchical menus on two page sites so maybe people like them.[

Originally posted by meow
The site doesn't get faster because you take away colors. It doesn't get noticeably faster because you take away text (in this case). It's faster because you've taken the flash stuff and all the little widgets away. So put the rest back.

Personally I hate those javascript floating boxes because they make me sick and I immediately see to to get them out of view or leave, but that's me. They seem as popular as tacky hierarchical menus on two page sites so maybe people like them.[

I made some changes... I added a soft background... and changed the colors on the DHTML menu a bit.

The content will be added please be patient!

Oh, I'm in no particular hurry. You asked for a review. Don't confuse the answers with fan mail. You said you changed it to make it faster, hence my post. The old looked OK but was heavy.

Originally posted by meow
Oh, I'm in no particular hurry. You asked for a review. Don't confuse the answers with fan mail. You said you changed it to make it faster, hence my post. The old looked OK but was heavy.

I removed applets to make it run faster... that is all.... and switched around the design.

Html background? No thank you. I've seen that before, although it was on someone's desktop, the result is horrible. Also, why do you need the bar on the side? That's usually used on websites with a lot of content that have to 'hide' stuff to make more room on their pages. I see an abundance of room on your page so there's really no need for it. Also, the bar is hard to see with that background. Black against dark green? The '?' is the only way I know there's something there and even then I'm probably think it's just a '?' if I didn't know its real purpose.

Originally posted by Confuzzled
Html background? No thank you. I've seen that before, although it was on someone's desktop, the result is horrible. Also, why do you need the bar on the side? That's usually used on websites with a lot of content that have to 'hide' stuff to make more room on their pages. I see an abundance of room on your page so there's really no need for it. Also, the bar is hard to see with that background. Black against dark green? The '?' is the only way I know there's something there and even then I'm probably think it's just a '?' if I didn't know its real purpose.

Well I am going to use that background anyways.
The bar is my navigation system, duh.

And there will be no more abundance of space... as you can notice on my original page. I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE CONTENT, you know... it is going to take time.

Back