• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Again about Globat.com and other "cheapo" hosts

FeediaCo

I know I have made a post about globat.com before but how is it that they have made that kind of package for such a low price? I asked the live support person that they are clustered and that when they run low on space they just add in another server but seriously if they make that much money to just add a server in and cluster it to the series of servers then wouldn't that be just plain dumb? I mean 1Tb!!! space 1Tb bandwith????? IF i were to even use 200gb of bandwith in one month i am sure that they would suspend me. Where I am going with this is that most hosts that offer 5 or 10gb of free space definitly do not use cpanel. They either use thier own panel or some crappy one like lpanel or something stupid. zpanel and zantastico. I hate that kinda stuff why not look professional and actually give the users what they want the most which is cpanel/fantastico. Almost every user that is serious about having a website needs cpanel/fantastico. Maybe even rvskins or rvsitebuilder. that just depends on what the user is actually using the hosting for. Some are pretty much that they don't care about what panel they use. The real reason I think that hosts like globat or other ones that offer 10gb for free use a different panel is because cpanel and correct me if i am wrong direct admin are the only ones that you can look at the server specs such as processor ram and space ect... and hosts that use a panel otherwise than cpanel or d/a like to oversell excessively. I mean what host doesn't oversell these days. BUT! if you can contain it and keep it well managed then you should have a business that flourishes. I know that this is a lot to read but please comment.
*end rant*

Try not to let them bug you. There will always be companies like that, and there will always be people willing to do it.

What you need to realize is that an informed, experienced customer is going to choose you over them; which is good, since experienced customers require less support :p

Don't sweat it :S Any company that has to send shills to forums to get a mention doesn't deserve the time it takes for regular people to agonise over them.

Go with a higher price, reputed and non overseller host.

You're definitely not going to get 10 GB of space for $10.

500MB to 1 GB and 10 bucks looks like a promising host. Anything beyond has a doubt.

Seen servage? Gator? All same breed :)

What about dreamhost? I mean they are still alive after what...10years? One of my favorite bands (celldweller *http://celldweller.com*) are hosted on them and they seem to like it very much. Do you think that hosts like that are able to survive?

the ones surviving are the ones overselling like crazy. They drive people so nuts here because they are the ones making the real money and not the "normal hosters"

I've already posted my theory like 8 times so I'll give the short version

Average website: 50-100mb space/1-2GB Traffic. keep in mind the AVERAGE user, I'm not talking people who store illegal mp3's or cd's or 3,000 pictures of their kids taken with a 10 megapixel digital camera.

Your base level price: $2.99/mo
globat's base price: $6.95

you both can fit the same amount of users on the same configured server but they are making far more money than you. If you look at globat's infrastructure they have only 2tb of storage space for over 100,000 users....that equals 20mb per site on average, and that is if it is entirely full, which obviously it is not.

keep in mind when your audience when you do your marketing, most of the forum users here (or any other web hoster) look at a site like globat and go oh my god thats pathetic, how can they do that, thats insane!

most people you are going to be selling to have no idea what is right or what is wrong or anything other than surface knowledge or what they have heard from their friends brothers cousins uncle's kid brother the "computer guru".

What do you think the average person is going to say about your plans? wow that is exactly the size I need for my site! or wow what a lame --- amount of space for $3/mo I'll go to globat and have a boat load more for only a couple dollars more, it's worth the security.

Look at it from a clients eyes instead of the hosters.

Good Point there, But if you are a small company and sell 2TB for $6 then your just going to get labeled an overseller and get a bad reputation everywhere. So really you need to be a big, Well know host to oversell that badly.

Yup, only the very big hosts can get away with that sort of overselling. The average wannabe host starts with one server (maybe) and offers what the big knobs offer and expects to last "forever". In reality if they try that, they either go broke by trying to keep up the real demand they may get from spamming forums or they give up because they can't handle the support alone or afford to pay others to assist in support.

One thing I cannot agree with! Using control panels. We have our own panel, developed by us and used only by us. It is working quite well and offers the same quality and features as cpanel. The company is not overselling and still has its business.
Then, this may have some other things that matter!

Good Luck!

well technically on your site you are overselling by "standards" 30gb space/500gb transfer is pretty steep for $9.49/mo but you know as well as I do that rarely anyone is going to touch that. As far as the control panel goes, unless you are marketing to other "web hosts" or users here it really does not matter so long as the user can do everything they need to.

I've never had an educated client turn us away because we don't user control panel XXX

One thing I cannot agree with! Using control panels. We have our own panel, developed by us and used only by us. It is working quite well and offers the same quality and features as cpanel. The company is not overselling and still has its business.
Then, this may have some other things that matter!

Good Luck!

fcolor good on you for developing your own panel, but, is it what the client wants or do they want mainstream?
Also your http://www.hostcolor.com/connectivity.php link is showing an error 500 when I looked at your site.
Avail is also right in that what you offer is outside normal quotas (ie 500G bandwidth at $9-49/month - which is actually $14-95/month unless you pay for 2 years in advance according to your plans - http://www.hostcolor.com/multipack.php).
Although your 50M package at $2-08/month on a 12 month contract speaks volumes.
I couldn't find a demo of your control panel either - is there one handy to view?

Hi,
:) , well its working fine our http://www.hostcolor.com/connectivity.php. The panel has its own website (will not promote it here). Our plans - they are completely described and there are no "hidden" conditions - reference our TOS, then you may compare it with the oversellers -and we can talk then. All the traffic and disk space are usable. If you want I can setup an account for you so you can check on that.

P.S. Its not fair to be offensive without any real proofs or arguments.

Good Luck!

You fixed the connectivity problem with the connectivity page then.

The panel has its own website (will not promote it here).

But it's your control panel (alledgedly) - and how do your clients know what they are getting before they get it?

Our plans - they are completely described and there are no "hidden" conditions - reference our TOS, then you may compare it with the oversellers -and we can talk then. All the traffic and disk space are usable. If you want I can setup an account for you so you can check on that.

Just wait for the volunteers for that one, saying one price then saying only if you pay 2 years in advance is misleading, use the word 'from' to keep yourself right - it's a new word I just invented for prices in web-hosting.

P.S. Its not fair to be offensive without any real proofs or arguments.

What was offensive, aside the facts stated?

Boring but I cannot keep myself from answering.
The connectivity page was always there.
There are links to the panel and its functionality and features - we are not selling it, yet, that is why there is public demo on our main website and anyone can give a try if wants.
There is nothing wrong and misleading in the pricing - to show the price for the 24 contract is just to show what the lower price is, when one goes on the details page, can see all the info and, yes I will repeat, there is nothing misleading.

Yes, you act offensive because the only fact I can read is that you are trying to talk about someone's service and never used it or have any experience.

most people you are going to be selling to have no idea what is right or what is wrong or anything other than surface knowledge or what they have heard from their friends brothers cousins uncle's kid brother the "computer guru".

Quite correct - but I want the "gurus" or moderately technically inclined people. x.xx per month for a support ticket or two -every day- from the same person is simply too tiring, especially when you've got a 1 or 2 hour response time you try to keep managing.

Im taking a guess here but I reckon about 80% of the traffic that comes to FWS would be looking for these mega deals.. the other 20% may be looking for a reliable non overseller with fast servers...
But how are you going to prove thats you?, Its easyer to target the n00bs than professional webdesigners/webmasters...
Call it lieing call it whatever, At the end of the day they are living off it and you arnt.
If you can somehow work out how to manage overselling it would work in your favour.
By that I dont mean go out by a shiftty p4 with 40gb hdd and 10mbps connection and sell
1TB space and 10TB bandwidth..

the argument of overselling etc has been done so many times..some people use it as a marketing tool and some see it as fraud..but in essence thats not for us to decide whats right nor wrong its on the consumer to be educated and understand what they are purchasing..ask your self this..would you purchase a vehicle from a company without first doing the research on the product?

Back