• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best HTML Editor

I started off by using NotePad and FrontPage, but when i started using Dreamweaver 4 about 3 months ago, I've never touched any other HTML programs. DWMX is good too, but it's too expensive for me. So I would say DW4 is good too.

Originally posted by HistoryGirl
I use notepad and had a go at using CoffeeCup HTML Editor.

What HTML editor would you recommend anyone??

try Macromedia Dreamweaver MX! 2 style you may prefer (HTML editor or interface editor)

Originally posted by Dusty
I think that limit only applies to Windows 98 and below. NT 4 had a limit, but it was well over 50k. XP Pro doesn't seem to, but 3mb was the largest file I had on hand to test it with, so it might have one, just bigger than that.

I can somewhat see your point if you're talking about using Notepad as a programming or scripting editor, but for just making HTML documents, I wouldn't expect the 50k filesize limit-- assuming it applies to you-- to be a problem. If your webpages are that large, I think it may be time to redesign.
Yeah there doesn't seem to be any limit with notepad on WinXP.

But then it crashes when it opens big files.

Originally posted by Dusty
I think that limit only applies to Windows 98 and below. NT 4 had a limit, but it was well over 50k. XP Pro doesn't seem to, but 3mb was the largest file I had on hand to test it with, so it might have one, just bigger than that.

I made a 200 MB test file with notepad without problems in XP Pro. :) . Just took 2 minutes.. :D .

I used to use the HTML editor which comes with CuteFTp, now i use EditPlus 2. Its good :)

Originally posted by Mike_R
I made a 200 MB test file with notepad without problems in XP Pro. :) . Just took 2 minutes.. :D .

I used to use the HTML editor which comes with CuteFTp, now i use EditPlus 2. Its good :)
Well when I used their replace thingy, it took forever to replace those stuff. I prefer wordpad for php stuff.

CuteHTML was pretty good but never really used it. :p

For PHP or any other coding stuff, use EditPlus 2! It does everything. ;)

Originally posted by trenzterra
Well when I used their replace thingy, it took forever to replace those stuff. I prefer wordpad for php stuff.
wordpad doesn't have highlighting, and no word wrap. it's very bare bones.

i use editpad. it has tabbed files (that is, it opens new files in tabs in the obe window, though you can set it to open mulitple instances of the program). i like it because you can search and replace across all the files you have open at the time, and it doesn't seem to have a limit on file size or file numbers open.

yes, like notepad you need knowledge of html, but c'mon, html is not to learn. pffft.

I started my website from scratch and with very little knowledge using notepad and I am still using it now. Never encountered any problems. However, I am tempted to switch my files to Microsoft Word, in case I hit some limits using the basic and primitive notepad...:eek:

NetObjects

I am using NetObjects for normal websites and WebObjects when I need to do heavy programmation.

NetObjects let me see the entire web site from a tree structure point of view.

WebObjects let me create a complex interaction between users and a database.

WYSIWYG----Dreamweaver MX (although FrontPage 2002 is ok, not as powerful)
Other than that, for hand-coding, I used CoffeeCup and I will start to again when I see a cracked version on KazaaLite :-D

Back