• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Condition of a server on delivery?

Should a server be totally rebuilt before handing over to a customer?

• Total voters

Decker

Officially Old!
NLC
Here's a thing I haven't seen asked before and being subjected to this situation I wonder what you think is acceptible.

Should a server ever be delivered (online) to a new user/client without being rebuilt from scratch, that is should a server be cleaned of accounts and handed over without rebuilding the OS?

Unless the user was told prior to it that he/she will be handled with a recycled server, the provider must make sure it is in a fresh condition ( the hardware and the software.) Even used PCs are being cleaned of any single dust before placing them to the display window.

If it's a server used by a multi-billion dollar bank, then I'd prefer it uncleaned though. ;)

The hardware should all be in working order and the hard drives should ALWAYS be formatted and reloaded before turning the machine over to a new client.

Yup, I agree with what's already been said. All of the hardware should not only be in perfect working order (and good condition, for that matter), but all of the HDD's should be formatted and cleared. After all, who wants to receive a dirty server? :wink2:

Chris

Last edited:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this.

What would you think of a supplier that thinks that the customer should 'clean-up' a server and hope no-one has left a backdoor?

Apparently this supplier thinks that "Previous servers are used. Its how the dedicated server business works."

What would you think of a supplier that thinks that the customer should 'clean-up' a server and hope no-one has left a backdoor?

If I ever had to deal with such a supplier, I would think that they were A) very lazy and B) could care less about the condition of the server, and what problems the new owner may experience (if any, of course).

Chris

They are an established company?! Oh my...that does indeed make things quite a bit worse. So, they feel that it should be the new owners responsibility to clean the server (format the HDD's, remove all previous accounts, etc.)?

Chris

Last edited:
You'd wanna make sure it's in top shape or fix it if it isn't, specially the high paying clients. Format the HDDs fo sho'

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Apparently this supplier thinks that "Previous servers are used. Its how the dedicated server business works."
I would look elsewhere for a server. That is not the industry standard and reflects poorly on the company.
I will bet they do not reload the OS for free as well. Free reinstalls are not the norm, but I bet they use this to get some extra money out of you.

Isnt it also against the law to sell a computer that isnt freshly installed??
It is to sell a PC here without reformatting I dont know about a server seems the samething though..

Here's a thing I haven't seen asked before and being subjected to this situation I wonder what you think is acceptible.

Should a server ever be delivered (online) to a new user/client without being rebuilt from scratch, that is should a server be cleaned of accounts and handed over without rebuilding the OS?

A shoddy service might just hand over a WHM login of a cancelled server. Of course it's unacceptable. Hardware tests, format and new OS install is just the ABC, 123 of deploying a server to a client.

We always reformat our servers before handing them over to new clients. Its always best to do it this way.

:)

Well I know one thing ;) I've never buying a dedicated server from XeonGX. Lol.

I do agree with what most other people think, a supplier that supplies a client with a server that has NOT had an OS reinstallation since the last owner, is someone you should stay away from, no matter how "established" they are.

As long as the hardware is still functioning, there is no need for a new server, if there was, there would be thousands of servers in perfect condition that won't be able to be used.

Back