• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Condition of a server on delivery?

Should a server be totally rebuilt before handing over to a customer?

• Total voters
Hi Richard, I think this refers to a new OS reload install besides the first one when the server was released to Decker when the login details were sent.

I could go into further details but will refrain until Decker gives me the go''a''head ;).

It refers to the OS load present on handover to the client, in that it was not a clean reload it was just 'scrubbed up' unfortunately badly :rolleyes2 , containing, lets call it modifications, by the previous client and an installation of Fantastico strapped on which was not licensed by either supplier nor DC - so quite plain it was not formatted and rebuilt. Simple logic really. And that's the point, all the other stuff is incidental and up for discussion, but not the main point.

It refers to the OS load present on handover to the client, in that it was not a clean reload it was just 'scrubbed up' unfortunately badly :rolleyes2 , containing, lets call it modifications, by the previous client and an installation of Fantastico strapped on which was not licensed by either supplier nor DC - so quite plain it was not formatted and rebuilt. Simple logic really. And that's the point, all the other stuff is incidental and up for discussion, but not the main point.

It was & would like to see your proof on this matter please. Not one time would you provide any login for either myself or my staff to verify that fantastico was there. Even though we took your word without seeing any proof nor your willingness to comply we couldn't help. A full reload could of been an option if we thought so but again, with no compliance from yourself this was impossible.

You asked for advice on were to obtain a server, please note that we don't deal in US based servers now, we sell servers direct at our own data center here in the UK, with this we have full control. I suggested a US DC which us ourselves have been using for many months without one problem, we have around 4 servers with them now along with many other US DCs & they are the best by far.

From my own opinion Decker (and this has no affect on the way I think of yourself which I believe we have a good laugh & have always gotten on when chatting) is that you didn't comply with us, due to your unwillingness to corresponde & assist support staff we couldn't help. You wouldn't provide login details, information wasn't correct. Its very hard to check a problem on a server without root access, its impossible.

Now as I've said, we don't sell US servers anymore & you were lucky to obtain our advice on were to go, I would rather sell you a UK server, that way we have full control on our hardware & networks. When acting as a 3rd party as we did its much harder for us to communicate with yourself & the DC & when one party wont comply we are stuck.

Anyway Decker, I hope you manage to find a server that can be your best friend. One piece of advice I would give is, don't buy a server from a reseller, go direct to the DC otherwise you will most likely encounter further problems.

Goodluck :)

Already have made direct contact with DC's as now it's just too much to deal through a third party, no offence taken mate, won't hold it against you :evilb: but just you mind :p

FYI the server CRON for fantastico was copied into the support ticket so it should have been enough but just incase they missed it here's the latest one take it you can verify the server IP is the correct one for reference.:)

On the login details, I asked what was required and what the DC would do before allowing them root access to a live server, never got a reply to that (and I don't like handing over root casually), a reload of the OS was never offered. Should have been the first option but even then it would mean taking out a live server, no suggestions on that either. A lot of 'refering' to the DC was being done and repeated staements that the DC has no SLA.

Unlike previously with support issues tech support was not filling me with confidence.

Fantastico De Luxe WHM Admin Cron

Server: (66.79.162.130)

Date/Time: April 10th, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

This server is not properly licensed.
Your main server IP as currently seen by our servers is 66.79.162.130.
If you have submitted a different IP for licensing, please contact your NOC if this is a NOC license or email sales@netenberg.com with order number, currently licensed IP and new IP (66.79.162.130) if this is a self-purchased license.
If this is a self-purchased license, it may also have expired. In this case, please follow the payment link in the renewal notification which you have received by email in order to renew your license.
If you ran a demo version of Fantastico, you now need to purchase a full license. (http://netenberg.com/shop/)Fantastico De Luxe master files update
This server is not properly licensed.
Your main server IP as currently seen by our servers is 66.79.162.130.
If you have submitted a different IP for licensing, please contact your NOC if this is a NOC license or email sales@netenberg.com with order number, currently licensed IP and new IP (66.79.162.130) if this is a self-purchased license.
If this is a self-purchased license, it may also have expired. In this case, please follow the payment link in the renewal notification which you have received by email in order to renew your license.
If you ran a demo version of Fantastico, you now need to purchase a full license.http://netenberg.com/shop/

Update complete

Already have made direct contact with DC's as now it's just too much to deal through a third party, no offence taken mate, won't hold it against you :evilb: but just you mind :p

FYI the server CRON for fantastico was copied into the support ticket so it should have been enough but just incase they missed it here's the latest one take it you can verify the server IP is the correct one for reference.:)

On the login details, I asked what was required and what the DC would do before allowing them root access to a live server, never got a reply to that (and I don't like handing over root casually), a reload of the OS was never offered. Should have been the first option but even then it would mean taking out a live server, no suggestions on that either. A lot of 'refering' to the DC was being done and repeated staements that the DC has no SLA.

Unlike previously with support issues tech support was not filling me with confidence.

A reload is an option at all times, we didn't believe one was necessary as we didn't see any problem, the main problem was over the IP allocation which was totally out of our control as others in this thread have stated. The open DNS issue was also not our fault. Unmanaged means unmanaged, its your server, not ours, its just a base system for you to control, install/add/remove what you like etc etc.

I can totally understand your frustration, maybe our support staff (some) didn't give you the best confidence, this is a problem currently highlighted & is under control now, our support is our number one priority, that's why a new support number is being added which will operate 24/7, am sure you know this anyway.

I could of blanked this thread but I didn't see any reason why, we are/were your provided & even though things didn't go in the right direction that doesn't stop us caring & will continue to help you if you need it. Am sure Paul & his security fingers may come in hard in the future :p.

I will though follow up on the OS issue, even though I wouldn't think a data center would not reload an OS it still has to be investigated & I will surely follow that up now. If I can manage to secure a credit of some sort I will of course let you know.

Okay, heres a quote clever clogs from support.

What say ye English?

Oh and old script installs were still present of things stated 'were not supplied' - so they just 'magically' appeared :)

Actually what the support told you is true and is cleverly put into your situation. But it's not really the gripe you are trying to raise to them I think.

The nameserver ips appearing in your WHM (i presume) is indeed quite a common thing where the previous user have not changed/removed the domain hosts. That can be easily fixed though by deselecting a lookup option in WHM.

If you found crums of fantastico installs or any other remains, well yes that definitely is a little fishy. That would be hardcore proof. But unless it states somewhere on the website "we format, reinstall OS and rebuild from scratch for all server deployments", all you can argue at is the integrety of the provider, not what they owe you.

Open DNS, well that is very simple to fix. Issues like those you can post them on forums such as this one and you'd get quick help ;)

Unmanaged is unmanaged though. But even with managed services it's more than difficult to find a provider who is truly proactive in helping you with your problems, even in Scotland. :D

So in your case the possible valid arguments are the points which suggest that the deployment process was a bit slack. From reading it looks like it could have been in your particular case.

So it appears the provider was Craig, he's looking into possible issues and trying to improve it or make sure it doesn't happen again which is only a good thing. Maybe it doesn't help that he's just south of the border from you in Manchester. :D But things like this can happen time to time, but it's very rare in 1st class datacenters.

Anyway Decker, I hope you manage to find a server that can be your best friend. One piece of advice I would give is, don't buy a server from a reseller, go direct to the DC otherwise you will most likely encounter further problems.

This is one bit I disagree with and think is misleading.

There are a lot of quality reselling server providers out there, and if you ask anybody I'm sure everyone prefers a resold quality managed server from a top class, world class datacenter (most of these actually don't provide dedicated servers directly!), than a crummy no-brand server put together by a third-class datacenter.

When people say this about reselling, it's usually a marketing tool. But the truth most of the time is, they rent space from the datacenters anyway for racks. There's not that much difference. Racks, colo, dedicated servers, VPS, rent larger spaces, it's all rent!

I seriously don't know how many options you'd end up with if you only look for a dedicated server from a company who provides directly from their own datacenter which they fully own and they fully operate.

This is one bit I disagree with and think is misleading.

There are a lot of quality reselling server providers out there, and if you ask anybody I'm sure everyone prefers a resold quality managed server from a top class, world class datacenter (most of these actually don't provide dedicated servers directly!), than a crummy no-brand server put together by a third-class datacenter.

When people say this about reselling, it's usually a marketing tool. But the truth most of the time is, they rent space from the datacenters anyway for racks. There's not that much difference. Racks, colo, dedicated servers, VPS, rent larger spaces, it's all rent!

I seriously don't know how many options you'd end up with if you only look for a dedicated server from a company who provides directly from their own datacenter which they fully own and they fully operate.

I don't have any issues with server resellers, at one time I did the same thing, am only putting my own valid point across from what I learned. You will tend to get more issues, delays, support issues by dealing with a 3rd party or middle man. Put it this way (this is just an example), Mr Man/Woman buys a server from a provider, server goes down & the provider who he or she bought the server from isn't around. Mr Man/Woman is left in the lurch, no provider to contact etc etc, were is if he or she ordered direct most DC's have 24/7 staff, even if they only rent space, at least they have access to there hardware, reboot is completed within minutes. To me that saves a lot of messing. Its much easier to deal direct. Surely your not going to disagree with me on that.

We ourselves have a system called TXT-To-Boot were any dedicated client can send a text message to have there server rebooted. The mobile receives the command & a staff member at our DC is there to reboot. Simple as 1-2-3 :) compared to last year when we had to email the DC & wait. At least our own method is controlled by us. The more control you have, the better the service & you ALWAYS know whats going on.

Right Craig, agree with your points which are all valid. I only replied to it because maybe your original post sounded a little down-ing on the reselling.

For me at least, it's still about balance & priorities. If a client specifically wants to talk to the person who'll physically work the server, that's all good they'll need a provider like ThePlanet, SoftLayer, LayeredTech, LiquidWeb or PowerVPS. But even there, work is relayed between staff and departments. And not all reselling is with lengthened delays in communication.

At the end of the day it all depends on the service concerned and their setup.

But I guess this is why it's very difficult for everyone to find the provider that is right for them.

All good points taken Craig & James , in Craig I trust lets say :)

Your right James in that all the additional faults/errors made it a worse scenario than it could have been (the BIND problem was simple enough once found - one line change), the fact that Fantastico was fully operational from day one was the 'clue' though after the license ran out and the supplier said it hadn't supplied it :lol: so the issue is exactly the fact that the server had not had a fresh reload of the OS, the rest is just the straw that broke the camels back as it made it all very confusing to diagnose, too many 'red herrings' you might say.

Lets hope all the discussion on this one will open a few eyes and make a difference for the better :angel:

Hate to hit HD as they've been generally great and only recently been as much a victim as myself of 3rd party activities - so left in your capable hands Craig me old son. And I know where you are so I'll come round and break your windows :p - then bill you for a tank of petrol for driving there and back :lol: :evilb:

And I know where you are so I'll come round and break your windows :p - then bill you for a tank of petrol for driving there and back :lol: :evilb:

No problem, I know a nice little petrol station were the petrol is first class, not one of these hit by the faulty petrol scare ;).

:lol:

Craig, beware, Decker and James are planning on throwing a brick wall into your window. James has been looking for this opportunity since June 2005.

No problem, I know a nice little petrol station were the petrol is first class, not one of these hit by the faulty petrol scare ;).

:lol:
Got 2 tanks of that and been using V-Power since, it's flamin great :evilb:

Craig, beware, Decker and James are planning on throwing a brick wall into your window. James has been looking for this opportunity since June 2005.

You owe me one for that :lol:

I know you have but if you can get through the 10 foot high gates, CCTV & the dogs undetected you can smash all my windows.

I say I say, 10 for the price of 5, pick up the bleeden phone :lol:.

I would completely reformat and reload the OS and software and perform some form of stress testing for a few hours before I deemed it re-usable.

Back