• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Condition of a server on delivery?

Should a server be totally rebuilt before handing over to a customer?

• Total voters
I never recycled a server without personally reformatting, error checking, and rebuilding the server.

If I am the client and I have very sensitive information on it, then I would want the server not only be reformatted but physically destroyed after my use. :p

Since they aren't going to be sellers of unformatted used servers, but more or less are considerate users of efficiently recycled ones, I see them as the most efficient and environment friendly consumers in the world. Viewed at a different angle of prospective.

What? What if the previous client had sensitive information in it??? This is ridiculous!

Exactly what I am thinking.... I know my servers have lots of information that I wouldn't want passed on.

For people who are leaving a company, ask for a reload before you leave, just to make sure nothing is left.

How about users leaving backdoors and other nasties behind so they can sneak in later!!

new hardware = of course not
fresh software = most definitely

if a company actually would honestly think that a software reload was not needed, even if someone else had the server for a day and did not even touch it. I would hope they have the common sense to close their doors and sheepishly leave the business.

personally I think data centers should be going a step further and doing a dod spec wipe before a new reload

new hardware = of course not
fresh software = most definitely

Maybe I should have specified OS reload, if the hardwares okay no sense in mucking about with it, but a clean rebuild is a must, most DC's if not all would use a 'gold brick' image to rebuild it from either a bootable CD/DVD or a PIXI network load.

A server provider would ALWAYS install a fresh OS. IPs, now that's another story ;).

Providers wont give you a brand new server all the time, if that was the case many would go out of business. Budget servers are mainly used servers, brand new servers come at a cost. If the hardware is in good condition then there wouldn't be a problem, do you think LT/rack space sell brand new servers for each order? in fact you will find that the old ones are the best as they have proven themselves (that makes machine sound like man :p).

Anyway, my main point is, used servers are a MASSIVE player, OS reloads would always be completed, just like us, all hard drives are wiped before any new client is installed on a machine provided by us. If a client does find a problem on the OS then a rebuild is an option & at no charge if the problem is our fault. Most servers are unmanaged so its the clients responsibility to check the server unless managed services are ordered (that's how we work anyway).

Funny you should mention those issues in that way Craig.

So if a server is provided by a supplier without being rebuilt, this being obvious due to the number of faults - only after the client has put in a lot of work to find the problems, would you still say it's the clients problem to find and fix these and take down all their sites whilst it's being reloaded with a clean build, and the supplier is not responsible - managed or not?

Mr Kilt,

Number of faults doesn't equate to non-rebuilt server, it could be just badly rebuilt.

Hardware or even OS faults - obviously the client can't do anything about them. It's upto the provider and is their responsibility to provide/release a full functional, fault-free server to the client.

Okay, heres a quote clever clogs from support.

Services were provided, an operating reload didn't need to be completed but could of been requested.
The IPs were still registered, that isn't our fault nor the data centers fault. Its up to the person (s) who had the server before yourself to remove the assigned IPs.
The Open DNS issue, again, the server was unmanaged. That is your responsibility to fix. The system came installed with the OS & control panel of your choice. Once the details were issued its up to yourself to manage your server there on.

What say ye English?

Oh and old script installs were still present of things stated 'were not supplied' - so they just 'magically' appeared :)

Last edited:
Services were provided, an operating reload didn't need to be completed but could of been requested.

Bull----, if your going to recycle a server, it NEEDS an OS reinstallation, what if the person before installed a virus, or a backdoor into the system that they did not detect?

The IPs were still registered, that isn't our fault nor the data centers fault. Its up to the person (s) who had the server before yourself to remove the assigned IPs.

I have to agree, it's just not feasable to offer everyone IP's that have never been used before.

The Open DNS issue, again, the server was unmanaged. That is your responsibility to fix. The system came installed with the OS & control panel of your choice. Once the details were issued its up to yourself to manage your server there on.

100% agree, cPanel as standard comes with Open DNS, if you want it another way, thats your problem.

Beg to differ, it should be internal (trusted) only for recursive lookups, external (not trusted) it should be disabled, at least it has in the past for me unless it's a 'new improved' feature which I would it doubt being classed as that as it opens the server up to the whole world! The internal and external nameservices need to be seperate.

Bull----, if your going to recycle a server, it NEEDS an OS reinstallation, what if the person before installed a virus, or a backdoor into the system that they did not detect?

Hi Richard, I think this refers to a new OS reload install besides the first one when the server was released to Decker when the login details were sent.

I could go into further details but will refrain until Decker gives me the go''a''head ;).

Back