• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain Name Sniping

tandoc

tandoc tandoc
NLC
This is generally frowned upon, but I want to snipe a domain name. Namely, my own. I didn't feel at ease sending off a scan of my passport and other documents to some registrar to get my domain back. Luckily, my domain expires in a few hours...

Does any body know a good registrar that can help me do that? Hopefully not GoDaddy, I don't have a CC and when I tried to use PayPal with them it still wanted me to add a CC.

Any help is required ASAP and is appreciated very much.

Tandoc

Theyr'e usually very expensive.. and if it's a reasonably good domain, I wouldn't get your hopes up about catching it again. Godaddy's probably your best bet if you're on a budget..

You are usually given 30 to 40 days to renew the domain after it has expired before it is released to public registration. Godaddy is the only registrar that I know of that offers back-ordering of domains. They would be your best bet.

Last edited:
Normally you will have somewhere around 30 days (give or take) to renew the domain name. After that, depending on the registrar, there are two things that can happen:

1) If the registrar offers "transfer fulfillment bidding" then people may place bids on your domain name. If bids exist for your domain after your expired grace period, but before it falls into Redemption, then an auction will occur. The winner gets the domain name with the registrar it's currently registered with.

2) They do not offer this type of bidding/backordering, and it goes into Redemption for 30 days. During this time, the domain name can be redeemed, but usually for a much larger fee than just a renewal cost. If it's not redeemed during this phase, then it will drop to Pending Delete. This lasts for 5 days, and when it drops (is officially deleted) it's up for public grabs.

The downside to it being publicly available is that if it's backordered through someone like Snapnames, then the dropcatching game begins. First service to register the domain wins.

I can understand not wanting to give up some documents to a company, but if the information on the account is incorrect, they must have security measures in place to ensure the right owner has the domain name. The only way to ensure you get it back, is to give them the requested info and just renew it. Otherwise, you always risk the chance of someone else getting the jump on it.

Back