• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

eBay psychology..

tandoc

tandoc tandoc
NLC
.. so I want to sell some stuff on eBay.

From what I can tell, the best way to maximise profit on anything you sell there is to list it starting a $1, w/ no reserve. However, I also kind of want to make most of what I spent back, so setting a high starting price will make sure I get what I want.

From experience, though, setting a low starting price attracts the less intelligent eBayers to bid and even get 'attached' to the product. They WANT to win not just the item, but the feeling of winning. This tends to drive the price really high aswell. I know because I was once like that :p. Setting a high starting price for tends to attract less bids, or sometimes none at all.

So, FWS.net, how do you sell/buy on eBay?

It does not really matter. What you need is a few people that like what you are selling and a few bids (10+). The higher the number of bids the higher the price (usually).

In an auction I just hang around until there are about 30 seconds left on the clock, then I make my bid, submitting it just before the auction closes. It works most of the time but I have been beaten to it on many occasions.

Starting auctions at 99 cents has been the best for me. It attracts more bidders and when a common ebay user is browsing around and they see many bids on an item they tend to think that product is better than the next seller's whos item has fewer bids.
Weird but true;)

Yes, Buy-It-Now is a godsend for a nervous wreck such as myself, I bought another PSP last night and literally had to leave the room after i placed my max bid.

Luckily, I won. And I was going to sell my original PSP, but I'm trading it for a friends DS Lite + 3 Games ;)

I always get more bids when I start my auctions at 99p lol.

Remember: ''Buy It'' ''Sell It'' ''Love It'' ..dee ..dee ..dee........ eBaY :lol:

you have to research the item you are selling and see what attracts the most bids. See what price the auctions are finishing at, and make it 1/2 that. This way, buyers feel like they are getting a deal, and you get at least some assurance that your product won't be sold for 1 cent.

Also, make sure you include real pictures (not stock photos) of your product, and include ALL shipping details. I am from Canada, and so many times have I just turned away from an auction I would have otherwise bid on just because I didn't feel like e-mailing the guy asking "how much for shipping to Canada". Americans think they are the only ones in the world or what????

Also, don't make it a 1cent auction and jack up your shipping price as a "trick". Nothing pisses me off more than this. In my beginner days on eBay, I bought an mp3 player for 10$, but paid 35$ for shipping costs (I actually expected this) and 30$ for mandatory shipping "insurance" (totally unexpected).

Last edited:
Selling hosting on ebay works some...but when you figure up listing costs and the amount of competition. Money is better spent some place else.

striker said:
you have to research the item you are selling and see what attracts the most bids. See what price the auctions are finishing at, and make it 1/2 that. This way, buyers feel like they are getting a deal, and you get at least some assurance that your product won't be sold for 1 cent.

Also, make sure you include real pictures (not stock photos) of your product, and include ALL shipping details. I am from Canada, and so many times have I just turned away from an auction I would have otherwise bid on just because I didn't feel like e-mailing the guy asking "how much for shipping to Canada". Americans think they are the only ones in the world or what????

Also, don't make it a 1cent auction and jack up your shipping price as a "trick". Nothing pisses me off more than this. In my beginner days on eBay, I bought an mp3 player for 10$, but paid 35$ for shipping costs (I actually expected this) and 30$ for mandatory shipping "insurance" (totally unexpected).

from what i've researched on the product i was going to sell, the ones that started @ 1$ with a stock photo end up selling for the most.

as far as the mandatory insurance stuff goes, it's your own fault. you have to read the page, and that has never gotten me in the past, and i order from hong kong ebay dealers quite a bit.

i mean, you get what you pay for.

Yes I usually look for cheap tricks like that, but in this case, I was new to eBay, there was less than 1 min, the price was 10$. I read the description and the shipping price off the description, but not the necessary insurance. Anyways, now I'm more careful.

okay fairenough. first time i was fooled by that i asked my friend, a more seasoned ebayer, if it was too be true and he told me to look for the required insurance.

something happend to my friend, but i dont know if its true or not, i cant tell if he is liying

he said that he won a new PS2 on ebay, for only 0.01 $, when he saw it and it was 2 minutes remaining for the bid, he didnt waste time, just put bid on it and won, and he told his father for his credit card to pay the item

his fathers credit card got charged 500$ they say 0.01$ item 499$ shipping from NY.

something happend to my friend, but i dont know if its true or not, i cant tell if he is liying

he said that he won a new PS2 on ebay, for only 0.01 $, when he saw it and it was 2 minutes remaining for the bid, he didnt waste time, just put bid on it and won, and he told his father for his credit card to pay the item

his fathers credit card got charged 500$ they say 0.01$ item 499$ shipping from NY.

By order of the Collective Judges of FWS: You get the death penalty for resurrecting this topic.

Back