• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Firefox 3

Even though it's got all these things; it feels incredibly lightweight, and nothing like IRC, BitTorrent etc happens unless you tell it to (so it doesn't use ++++RAM)

Opera is ugly, clunky and not expandable. Firefox 3 gives you a better overall experience and is much more user friendly. The every day user, even power users, have little to no need for Opera. That's why it'll always be 2nd best, 4th popular.

The plugin's don't make the browser. I've yet to see someone who doesn't mention the plugins for Firefox, when trying to say it's good. Or even the theme for that matter.

Opera is ugly, clunky and not expandable. Firefox 3 gives you a better overall experience and is much more user friendly. The every day user, even power users, have little to no need for Opera. That's why it'll always be 2nd best, 4th popular.

Opera is far from ugly if you use the right skins, and firefox uses about 50% more screen space for non-website viewing than my setup of opera - if that's what you mean by 'clunky'.

It mightn't be as expandable as firefox, but it's a hell lot more customizable. And saying it's not expandable at all is ignorant; there are plenty of plugins and widgets available to make more features out of the browser. If you want to. Which you usually don't, becuase it already packs so much.

You know, to be honest, I am a Firefox purist ;) No plugins

I have the new Opera installed as well, but something about it just bugs me.

I find Firefox to be much faster and renders better than Opera in some instances. Sure there are quite a few plugins for Firefox, and I have installed a couple of them from time to time, but I always end up removing them because it just makes Firefox to clunky.

Something with tabbed browsing just seems better in Firefox. I can't stand IE7 and Opera is alright, but Firefox is just my cup of tea :)

Opera is far from ugly if you use the right skins, and firefox uses about 50% more screen space for non-website viewing than my setup of opera - if that's what you mean by 'clunky'.

It mightn't be as expandable as firefox, but it's a hell lot more customizable. And saying it's not expandable at all is ignorant; there are plenty of plugins and widgets available to make more features out of the browser. If you want to. Which you usually don't, becuase it already packs so much.

Please prove this "50% more screen space" with screenshots and mathematics.

You agree opera is not as expandable as firefox and that it's ugly without going out and downloading skins. Also, by ignoring my comment about firefox being more user friendly and having a better experience, you must agree with it as you're unable to argue the opposite.

Can you name anything opera can do that firefox can't?

It can load Flash without crashing.

maybe that is user error. ;) i have no problem loading flash.

as for the plugins, some may say they are clunky and un-needed, but, as far as development goes, FF beats all browsers. I cant get by without my trusty web developer toolbar, measure it, colorzilla, and firebug. never thought i would need such tools, but, now that i have them, i dont want anything else. i will give opera another fun, but, so far, FF takes the cake IMO.

Please prove this "50% more screen space" with screenshots and mathematics.

You agree opera is not as expandable as firefox and that it's ugly without going out and downloading skins. Also, by ignoring my comment about firefox being more user friendly and having a better experience, you must agree with it as you're unable to argue the opposite.

http://i30.tinypic.com/j76ohe.jpg - ff - 155px high
http://i28.tinypic.com/25g41zp.jpg - opera - 95px high
Okay, not quite 50%, but still about 40% less space.

And firefox may be more user friendly for the non-tech, but for people who know more than how to log onto email, opera isn't exactly a learning curve.

And you don't need to download skins to make it not 'ugly'. You can switch to OS native skin in 3 clicks.

Yeah, I made a list a page or so back. None of them FF can do as standard; some of them FF can be made to do with plugins.

Last edited:
maybe that is user error. ;) i have no problem loading flash.

as for the plugins, some may say they are clunky and un-needed, but, as far as development goes, FF beats all browsers. I cant get by without my trusty web developer toolbar, measure it, colorzilla, and firebug. never thought i would need such tools, but, now that i have them, i dont want anything else. i will give opera another fun, but, so far, FF takes the cake IMO.

You can get rulers, colour pickers etc at the widget place shown somewhere in this thread. And Opera Dragonfly (built in) will blow the ---- out of anything Mozilla or it's users create, once it's released fully.

The only time Opera has ever had a problem loading, is with Live Mail (home.live.com) when it's loading my interface on the new style. Every other time it's worked a treat.

Once again, it comes down to the plugins argument. They don't make the browser, Opera has more features and uses less RAM & CPU than Firefox does, that is almost bare.

Question: Would you use IE6/7, Firefox, Opera if it never had the developer API? I would choose Opera regardless of my views on it now,

http://i30.tinypic.com/j76ohe.jpg - ff - 155px high
http://i28.tinypic.com/25g41zp.jpg - opera - 95px high
Okay, not quite 50%, but still about 40% less space.

And firefox may be more user friendly for the non-tech, but for people who know more than how to log onto email, opera isn't exactly a learning curve.

And you don't need to download skins to make it not 'ugly'. You can switch to OS native skin in 3 clicks.

Yeah, I made a list a page or so back. None of them FF can do as standard; some of them FF can be made to do with plugins.
Yeah, not really fair since you don't have stumbleupon or a bookmarks bar on opera. Without your foxnews-like analysis, they're virtually even:
16a368m.jpg

In fact, firefox takes up a little LESS space, because the status bar isn't so big:
zt9g95.png

I'm a tech guy, and just because I have no problem using opera doesn't mean I like it.

The included opera skins suck.

I just started to participate in this thread, please enlighten me to your list.

Once again, it comes down to the plugins argument. They don't make the browser, Opera has more features and uses less RAM & CPU than Firefox does, that is almost bare.

Um, no.

http://avencius.nl/content/firefox-3-vs-opera-950-memory-usage
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/sof...pera-vs-Safari/0,139023437,339289417-1,00.htm

Last edited:
If I included stumbleupon bar it would be the same height as previous becuase the stumble bar for opera is one of the top menus (such as file, edit etc).

Whenever I use FF, it always feels much more bloated than opera.

My screenshots showed much more going on in opera than in firefox. If wanted, I can completely take out the status bar at the bottom.

And you're using a different OS.

I think you mean - um, yes.
You are talking about the physical and user customizing, which is plugin and theme wise.

edit: also the setup on those test setups are clearly nowhere near the norm user.

They probably took the mem captures with the browser as the active window. When Opera isn't the active window, it uses a lot less RAM (and rightly so). On Firefox, there is no such thing.

Opera did worse than IE, that is surprising. Safari is pretty damn fast though, and i do like how it always remembers the last page you were on for when you re-open it. but, FF kills Opera. doesnt mean i dont like it, just like FF more. you all should take note that they all did better in certain areas, but, safari pretty much killed everything.

**EDIT**
i find it funny that Opera 9.27 has better marks than Opera 9.5 for certain things.

QUOTED FROM:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/sof...pera-vs-Safari/0,139023437,339289417-7,00.htm

Overall, and taking the performance of the beta versions into consideration, the browser performance rankings are as follows: Firefox and Safari in a clear lead ahead of Opera and finally Internet Explorer. Firefox 3, due in June, promises very good performance and efficient memory usage. No browser used less memory to open multiple sites than the Beta 5 version of Firefox 3, and only a few sites failed to display correctly. Safari and Opera, however, are more likely to exhibit incompatibilities.

Last edited:
Utilizing exit polls and general opinion, I'm going to end this debate and proclaim Firefox, and her supporters, the winner.

Attachment is from screenshot of Task Manager.

Both browsers were open, loaded google, left alone for a few seconds...

No addons, no plugins, no skins.

Attachments

• operaFF.jpg
    operaFF.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 16
Back