• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hidden stuff in TOS

snareklutz

I was just reading some hosting's TOS, and I discovered the cheaper it is, the more absurb rules it contains.
Here is an example:
www.lcrhosting.com is offering 10000MB/100000MB at only $8 /mo without any setup fee, which is really cheap.
One problem with that $8.00 hosting....

The restrictions:
1. You can only have common file names, no "file" hosting allowed on their servers.
2. They can terminate your services at any time if they "feel" that you are taking from other's websites, or your payments aren't worth their expenses (which is what it means with their "excessive use policy".
3. You have to JUSTIFY space used over 100 MB, and it cannot be "stored files" or "file hosting" or anything "Copywritten".

Here's one thing to look out for before signing up for any hosting!

You are right users always have to read TOS no matter if they sign up for hosting or with new mobile operator. Sometimes companies screw up customers and there is no much to do about it.

Regards
D.

Very important to read TOS and if you have any questions about them, well its best to email your potential host and ask about them :)

I agree. Reading the TOS to any company is very important. However, snareklutz is greatly misrepresenting LCR Hosting's TOS. For example:

1. You can only have common file names, no "file" hosting allowed on their servers.
There is nothing in our TOS that states that you may not use our server for file hosting. It does not even state what types of files you are allowed to use (excluding the few exceptions as stated in the "Misconduct" section, but those are for good reasons).

2. They can terminate your services at any time if we "feel" that you are taking from other's websites, or your payments aren't worth their expenses (which is what it means with their "excessive use policy".
It does not state that LCR Hosting can terminate your account if they "feel" like it. This is an exact quote: "If your account has or promotes illegal, abusive, or unethical content, your account will be suspended immediately. You will be given no more than 30 days to remove it before the account is terminated without backup." You must have genuine illegal content on your site before we can do anything. Our Overuse policy only charges penalties if your account goes over their quota. We do not have the right to terminate your account for going over your quota!

3. You have to JUSTIFY space used over 100 MB, and it cannot be "stored files" or "file hosting" or anything "Copywritten".
LCR Hosting does not require anyone to prove anything, as long as they are not causing a huge strain on the server, and they stay within their quota.

I do not know where you got all of this information on LCR Hosting from, but it is not true. I just wanted to clarify that.

The problem I've found with services that are offering things "To good to be true", is that they aren't very reliable. I just recently went from "Unlimited Bandwidth/Unlimited Webspace" for $3 a month to 500MB webspace and 30GBs bandwidth for $9 a month because of reliability issues. The old host couldn't even keep their own MySQL database together, much less, everyone elses. Another thing, if you get a host with limits, chances are, they have excellent customer support and don't have very many restrictions, if any.

Back