• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How fast is your internet?

How fast is your connection? (Downstream)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 384-768kbps

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • 1.5mbps-6mbps

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Freakin' Fast (Anything above 6mbps)

Votes: 31 49.2%

• Total voters
Funnily enough I've never seen an ISP supporting stats by speedtest.net even though we all swear by it as acurate!

Wonder why that is?

You'll get he usuall - if it's as fast as we say to our servers (1 hop) then it's provided - yep but if your network is cack after that then it's not!

I've got a cable plan with Comcast paying ~$55/month. When I signed up I was told I would get 6mbps down. That hasn't happened. Ever.

At my Dad's house in Chamblee, we get about 3mbps down on a good day via Comcast from what I remember ... Next time I go over there I'll put up a few speed tests in this topic.

Last edited:
I'm still having arguments with cable - 20M line and only 300K uplink, get between 4500kb/s & 3500kb/s on speedtest.net but uploads are ridiculous 270k-170k cable doesn't have the same limits copper does and it really hacks me off they can't balance it.

Vote on 2M down for 1M up being fair - it's still ADSL (async) that way?

Tree,

Post your modem stats here.
What do you want me to post?

Downstream
Code:
Frequency 	 		 687000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio		36 dB
Power Level 			 7 dBmV
Upstream
Code:
Channel ID 	8
Frequency 	31002658 Hz Ranged
Power Level 	24 dBmV

As promised ... Comcast. And it looks like I haven't been paying attention to the speeds; this definitely isn't 3mbps. I did the test four times, too...

[edit]
CNET.com gave me 3626.7 Kbps
http://www.auditmypc.com/broadband-speed-test.asp gave me 8436Kbps down, 94Kbps up?
http://speedtest.knology.net/ gave me 14593Kbps down, 412Kbps up?
http://speedtest.ga.charter.com/ - 8502Kbps

All these tests are screwed.

[edit2]
Here's a real test ... Gentoo 2007.0 LiveCD from Georgia Tech's FTP. It started around 1400KB/s until it hit 20MB downloaded (Comcast Powerboost?), then it stabilized around 750-850KB/s.
speedkt0.jpg

Last edited:
I think its funny because I get around 800k down on my neighbors wireless lol. I get free internet and It is superfast

Edit just ran a test and it came out this:
3851kbps

What do you want me to post?

Downstream
Code:
Frequency               687000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio        36 dB
Power Level              7 dBmV
Upstream
Code:
Channel ID     8
Frequency     31002658 Hz Ranged
Power Level     24 dBmV

A powerlevel of 7 dBmV is kinda high. Although it's within the +15/-15, the closer to 0, the better. Any splitters on that line? Do you experience disconnects or just slow speeds?

It disconnects at least twice a day and I see the modem automatically reboot. No splitters on that line, just me.

I would have a tech go out and look at your lines and maybe readjust your signals. Also, what modem do you have?

I've got a Linksys WRT54G. Router's relatively new.

I'm completely retarded. Took me a couple of days to realize you asked what modem I had and not what router. I've got a Motorola SB4100. I've had it for a couple years now.

Last edited:
I've got a Linksys WRT54G. Router's relatively new.

I'm completely retarded. Took me a couple of days to realize you asked what modem I had and not what router. I've got a Motorola SB4100. I've had it for a couple years now.

If you lease it, you could try asking for a SB51xx. It may fix your problems, give your faster speeds, and give you powerboost.

Back