• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is discount-hosting.com host realible?

TC Tan

I just thinking of moving my web site to http://www.discount-hosting.com/ where they offer the follow features:

- Your domain name support
- 50 Mb disk space
- No additional setup fees
- No unwanted banner or commercial
- Unlimited FTP account
- Unlimited e-mail alias forwarding
- Catch-all alias
- Full featured PHP4 with GD, XML, ftp and more
- MySQL/PhpMyAdmin

Anyone using it before? If so, plese comment on their service. They only charge $10 per year. If you have other low cost host, please recommend also.

Thanks

Tan,

It sounds like they have everything automated. After reading through their pages, they said they do not offer any kind of support except for their newsgroup. No email and no telephone support. If you are comfortable with that, by all means go for it. I might sign up one of my domains just to check out their services. $10/year is heck of a deal!

they also offer 5 Gb transfer per month maximum

BUT I don't know about there uptime
and don't know how good the speed is.

Also I couldn't found that they offer CGI.
And you don't get an email-box with them. So you have to forward to an existing account.

But I never used them... So I can't state, how they are for real...

Greetings
Arno

(If you need cgi and want a cheap host, you could take a look at worldzonepro)

Originally posted by akersche

Also I couldn't found that they offer CGI.

They don't. From their FAQ:
-----------------------------------
I use cgi-bin scripts on my site. Can I upload them onto my discount-hosting plan ?
This will be useless. There is no cgi-bin feature on discount-hosting plans.
Even if you upload your scripts on your server, they will not run.
You may - if applicable - leave them on another hosting plan that you already have and just invoke them with appropriate syntax from your discount-hosting site.
--------------------------------------

Question - would that be OK with a paid host (another one I mean)? To run scripts for a site at another host? Can I in practice do what I want with my allotted bandwidth? Like download files from a link on another site. Sorry if this is stupid, but I'm totally new to the paid game.

>Question - To run scripts for a site at another host?
Yes, normally that's ok. But be aware, that you get a problem if you need to much cpu-power. But if it's just a simple script, with not to much load, it's ok.

>Can I in practice do what I want with my allotted bandwidth? Like download files from a link on another site.

But why would you do that? If you are satisfied with your host, it's a good idea to get a bit more space and bandwith from that one. It won't cost that much more...
Anyway, normally it's ok.

But why would you do that? If you are satisfied with your host, it's a good idea to get a bit more space and bandwith from that one. It won't cost that much more...
Anyway, normally it's ok.
Thanks for your answer akersche. I don't have a paid host yet. A friend and I want to host a couple of domains that none of them will need very much bandwidth but we do want CGI. We don't want to host one and redirect the others and we can't afford the hosts that allow several domains with the same account. This seemed like a cheap way to do it. I asked about downloading from other sites because we both have sites at free hosts that we want to remain where they are but downloads aren't allowed.

you are welcome:)

free hosts usualy don't allow hotlinking. (e.g. that you store images or large files on their site and access this from a diffrent site) If they find out you are doing this, they kick your account.

what you might want is to use mydomain.com for redirection. but if you just got one ip, it's just redirection.
(but real adress can be hidden).
BUT: What you might wanna do is following. Contact a host that you like and ask them for a offer, that fits your needs. (I think dim8.net could help you... Or post, what you need (detailed: space, bandwith, domains, features) into a new friend and ask hosts to contact you.)

you might want check out worldzonepro, they are pretty cheap and offer cgi.

if you can spend more, i would suggest tera-byte.

free hosts usualy don't allow hotlinking.
What I was thinking off is the opposite, linking from a free host (or another paid)...
what you might want is to use mydomain.com for redirection..
Well, the problem is that we don't want the users to know that the sites are connected. If I understand this right I can't hide that fact.
What you might wanna do is following. Contact a host that you like and ask them for a offer, that fits your needs.
The problem with THAT is that we don't really know what we need <VBG>. I guess we are basically trying to find a cheap way to test things out and learn some stuff, and are fed up with free hosting.

Anymore low budget host?

Thanks for all the suggestion. I went to 34dsp and openhost.uk. But 34dsp only allow 400 MB bandwidth and the opehost.uk still down for upgrading. So any other low cost host available? By the way, discounth-host is still look attractive to me due to their price and bandwindth. I know they don't provide any support, that's why I need to confirm their uptime and realibility before I move my few web site to them. So if anyone use their service, please advice.

Thanks

Emm... I don't think a host which don't provide support is reliable. They can just eat up your money and don't give you what exactly as listed and you can't get in touch with them to ask for explaination.

Take your risk, pal.

Re: Anymore low budget host?

Originally posted by TC Tan
By the way, discounth-host is still look attractive to me due to their price and bandwindth.
Have you found their Forum? Doesn't look worse to me than many other. Hmmm, I agree with you. Maybe get a plan at a somewhat better host for one domain and store another at this place. BTW it's 1 month free trial and it can't be worse than Portland :D

Hi,

Free hosting is fine but if you want support it's sometimes difficult to get, and also you don't always get the full features you require, i.e. unlimited emails, static IP address, enough bandwidth etc.

I've searched the net for weeks (cause I have nothing better to do all day than look for hosting options for my 20 or so different domains, and sit around enjoying life on this sub-tropical Island!).

My pick goes to http://www.veoweb.net

Excellent service and great hosting packages + friendly support. No, they're not free... but they are cheap especially for multiple domains (ask them for a price).

If you want good search engine rankings you need a host that can offer a 'unique static IP address' with each separate domain. Not all hosting companies can offer this I discovered. There are loads of other features http://www.veoweb.net include with their cheap monthly hosting packages. Check them out... and compare -- does your present host provide 'Unique static IP addresses'?

Regards,
Bruce Clarke
(Great Barrier Island, New Zealand).

So has anyone tried this host for one month yet? I just signed up for it and will try to set my phpBB board there to see how well it does. One month trial right?....why not just to try :)

Three weeks later ;) - - - Well, did you try? What do you have to report? I've read some good things about them. They are said to be fast. The support (that they don't have) seems quit speedy too, judging from their board.

Hello Meow,

It is real fast, not only the site but the FTP is also fast. I love it. I was going to sign up for wzpro.net but it took so long for the sign up to be back up so I had to try this host. I would recommend it. I am going to keep it. For only $10/year, it is a real bargain. Not only is it fast, it is also very reliable. I have not seen my site being down yet, but of course I don't check it 24/7 but I do check it quite often. I mainly use it for my phpBB board and it is a lot faster than f2s.com. I do know about 18 free webhosts without ads but I am going to use this one as my main one. Remember, you have 1 month to try it. You don't give any credit card info to them during the first month trial. All you do is transfer your dns over to discount-hosting.com. But make sure that you do have the ability to use credit card because that is what they require when you actually decide to keep their service and host with them. 5 Gig/month transfer, 50 MB, mysql database....not bad....not bad at all.

Back