• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

It must be ok to share illegal IPB 2.0

aki

Contents: Adult
NLC
i tried to report websites using or sharing ipb but seem to me Invisionboard doesn't bother. i found a website which shares their ipb copy in download section, AND them also got host in IPS hosting. I emailed and ask them take a look at their client forum and thier download section. now 4days had passed and still nothing happen. So if you find a forum with illegal or sharing ipb, just ignore it, cause invisionboard doesn't care. wasted time :tired2:

maybe that's why ppl don't use ipb unless it's free.

Well the company might do nothing about it but it's still illegal. Wether the comapny gives a damn it's still under copyright laws so it's illegal to share.
I guess if someone mailed the invision company about this they would take it down or be very stupid :p

as long they don't do a sh!t about emails about illegal websites, i don't sure i report more. they just dig thier own graves.

sharing is ok, as long as you don't yell out and claims that you bought it when it's not. but the website i reported was a n00b claims stuffs like i hosted by ipb and bought it
(not sure if he use fake cc and nullified ipb)

The PF versions are legal, I heard how they released a final 2.0 for a bit and took it down shortly to make it commericial. Only way to check is "/index.php?ipscheck=1" - if it has "--" or some numbers it is legit, if otherwise it is illegal.

I don't think it is really as much of your business as you make it out to be.

Oh yeah, by the way words like "n00b" make you look ever so unintelligent. I guess much like the individual you are complaining about. :)

And Conscript. Sharing is caring? Sounds like some silly communist slogan. :p

hey Mattias, if they only had shared the 2.0, but these guys share (last night i checked) are 2.0.1 och 2.0.3 :D .

Sharing is caring
Sharing is scaring :)

I always kind of wondered if Invision is allowed to sell their message board. Didn't they derived (not entirely) quite a bit of the phpBB code? Even though it is probably different from phpBB at this point, it is still based on a open source software. Not to mention there was a great deal of volunteers who contributed under this notion. Their work and time should technically be worth something (commission?). Bit weary about such software and practices, I hate to be mislead into helping someone make money - even if it is legal. It has happened to me, I much rather know about it on from the beginning. I would probably buy vBulletin given the price range they are driving anyways.

I need to read up on intellectual property law to get a better grasp on this.

Ikonboard and Invision were free, but they were never under the GPL so far as I know. Never heard of any phpBB involvement with Invision, and frankly, having used both in the past, they're not very similar in their basic workings so I'd tend to doubt it.

Mattias said:
even if it is legal

It's not legal to make anything proprietary that has ever involved any GPLed code -- which is one of the things that keeps GPL code from being used much more widely (and for example why Apple went with BSD for OSX). (As a technicality I should point out that it's legal to sell GPLed scripts, it's just not legal to refuse to give up the source to them on request, but you probably knew that.)

I remember OpenBB was originally under the GPL and then switched licenses later, which no doubt wasn't actually legal though they claimed that by changing enough source it was... but nobody cares since it stayed free (though closed source, should've been renamed ClosedBB) and OpenBB is now relegated to the history books anyhow.

Last edited:
ye....Its still illegal. But if they dont care why should the public care? Why do we have to be perfect. Everyone has civil rights. I think its stupid that they have like piracy laws. People do piracy anyways so why bother with the rules! I once caught a police man I know going on a illegal website and actually using it. He was a regular person there. He wasnt there to ban it, but there to use it....LOL

Why do we have to be perfect. Everyone has civil rights. I think it's stupid they have murder laws. Murderers murder anyways so why bother with the rules! I once heard of a police man murdering someone. He was a regular murderer. He wasn't there to arrest the murderer, but to murder... LOL

Back