• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Host Accusations

AvailNetworks

Greetings
NLC
I rarely go on a rant but I feel it is time that something is said due to all the crap I see.

I see so many accusations around here about being a "kiddie host" as soon as someone posts a plan that someone sees that might be out of line. All of a sudden it is OMG YOUR A KIDDIE HOST!!!!!!! (99% of the time the person saying it is under 18 anyway)

I believe it to be ALL based on jelousy, it is an ugly emotion and does not have any place in the internet world or the real world

It is hard enough to make it in the oversaturated hosting world, you people have no idea how nice it is here with all the offers that come in and requests that are made. Pull strength from one another, give each other a pat on the back and build up everyone instead of talking trash, stop making this "3pm by the playground flagpole" fighting

If everyone continues to spew allegations the only thing you are producing is a bad reputation for yourself and the hosting community in general.

Think first then speak. Remember that order

I completely agree, I am only 16 and I think this is insulting to me becuse I offer good quality hosting, you don't have to be over 18 to do this.

you are right, even if you are under 18 there are ways to make everything legal if done properly.

I was successfully running a company when I was under the age of 18 as well buying and selling cars. There was always the people at auctions sitting there folding their arms and scowling at you because you were beating them and crying out for the fact that you could not buy cars under 18 and resell them. I never sold more than my 6 per year and always paid cash. by 19 I had enough money to buy a house on a nice lake in my hometown and move on with my life onto the next thing.

If something is done right there is no problem with age

Yes, Avail exactly what I've said! in another thread.

chief said:
Okay, I don't like it how people call hosts that offer resources for lower prices, (Sometimes insane prices) and call them "Kiddie-Hosts". Really, a good name for them is a "Un-reliable host". You can't call them kiddie hosts, because they're trying their bests to get an offer purchased, and will do anything to do it. But, if they're to insane prices you have to question their credibility, and reliability. So like I said, the best name for these hosts are "Un-reliable hosts".

Last edited:
I know a couple of hosts who are over 20, but I still consider them "kiddie-hosts" because of the level of service and honesty that they provide.

It is just the general bashing that really gets to me and if someone posts something a bit out of line the accusations just POUR in about being a kiddie host....I guess it actually points out who the real dummy is in that point. Price does not always dictate reliability

Lamborghini Murcielago: $288,000
Honda Accord: $13,800

you tell me which will last longer

You're not comparing apples with apples though. Usually the hosts on this site have no credibility. Honda and Lamborghini are known car dealers around the world. And, a Lamborghini are more unique, and more features and technology was put in to it. As on the other side the Honda Accord doesn't have as much features, etc. which lowers the costs.

credibility only comes with time and sometimes you have to be given the benefit of the doubt.

when softlayer first launched their new company you did not see anyone calling them kiddie hosts, when avail launched no one cried kiddie host. Everyone has to start somewhere, but as soon as someone new comes here they get reamed for trying to start anything.

the worst part I see is people grabbing a reseller account, building their plans, website (coming soon!!!!!), and "business plan" in 2 days and then coming here and calling everyone an idiot for "overselling" and being a kiddie host

And the accord has WAY more "features" than a murcielago, they are definately far different business models and target market. It was more of a price isn't a clear indication of quality. grossly over exaggerated of course :)

Totally disagree. It doesn’t matter how old the host is, if they are offering such outrageous plans, than they are acting like a kid in my books.

it also depends on your target market. I sell a fair amount of sites to local businesses in my area and they have no idea what kind of bandwidth or space that they use, I sell them what I knwo is right for thier company and their goals.

Technically I could offer them 500gb storage and 20tb of monthly transfer of I wanted and still be perfectly ok.....am I kiddie host?

Well i think if it is done properly there is no problem with what age the person is as long as you get what you want and have no problems with it. Its just the people that are saying oh its a kiddie host that are after clients because they dont have any/much so they get jelous and try and convence the user to host with them, thats how i see it.

Why do it huh? think you where that age once didnt you try and think of ways to get money?

Age shouldnt matter here (except on legality of things, like in the U.S.). I know some teenagers that are smarter than professors at school.

So even if its a teenager running a host, that doesnt mean they are unprofessional or a bad host.

There is a difference between selling cars, trading shares, programming, freelancing and many other things young entrepreneurs do compared to web hosting.

Web hosting is a service industry, requiring a 24x7 commitment. You are dealing with the livelihoods of many of your customers. If you are under 18 the chances are you will not be able to work 48 hour shifts during a disaster or give all the time you have due to studies or other activities. If as a minor you want to go into hosting, I'd always suggest tying up with someone older that has the time to manage the business aspect and put in 24x7 to run the business.

I personally wouldn't trust any company to host my business on unless I knew there were capable people behind the desk and their livelihoods depended on the business they run.

well said Yash and I totally agree with you. I think now it is WAY to easy for someone now to pick up a reseller account from someone else for $3/mo and be able to sell "hosting" within 5 minutes of their payment being accepted.

I cannot imagine trying to do this at a young age, there is always outsourced support but some things just require personal attention in order to make things right.

I just think it is really poor of hosts trying to bust someone up for trying to create a business without doing any background research on them. That kind of stuff really bothers me. Judging a book by it's cover is all too common these days

Who really cares ?
If someone is hosting a company and give out plans that are "unbelievable"
it just shows the noobs who accuse them of being a "kiddie"

Aslong as they have proper, reliable quality hosting who care's how old they are.
Some people under 18 might be well-funded and can afford better things then people older

It doesn't really matter aslong as they can uphold the job in a reliable manner.

It all comes down to that most kiddy hosts are on resellers. Some are trying to provide a good service but cant because they are on a cheap resellers. Then this is where overselling comes in. People belive that its only kids that oversell. However its not always and its a generalization that people see. Everyone can oversell and face it no host is 100% perfect

There's a big issue with doing business with someone under the legal age, in this case, being 18 years old in the U.S. The first issue is that they are under age, and therefore not legally allowed to enter into any contract. Because of this, they also cannot form their own corporation entity; be it a LLC, S-Corp, Partnership, or DBA.

It all comes down to legal matters.

correct, I do not think people under 18 should be selling hosting to the "general public" friends/family, and the occasional personal site is fine but marketing to business's is pretty messed up in my book.

Back