• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Host Accusations

And there is nothing wrong with a kid reselling to a few personal clients. It's the whole point of a reseller account. You cannot expect every reseller account holder to be registered tax-paying digital net businesses to be frank.

"Kiddie host" term was created and used by people who feel threatened by these come and go hosts. I say a bigger problem is the number of big reputation hosts providing below-par service.

AvailNetworks said:
I rarely go on a rant but I feel it is time that something is said due to all the crap I see.

I see so many accusations around here about being a "kiddie host" as soon as someone posts a plan that someone sees that might be out of line. All of a sudden it is OMG YOUR A KIDDIE HOST!!!!!!! (99% of the time the person saying it is under 18 anyway)

I believe it to be ALL based on jelousy, it is an ugly emotion and does not have any place in the internet world or the real world

It is hard enough to make it in the oversaturated hosting world, you people have no idea how nice it is here with all the offers that come in and requests that are made. Pull strength from one another, give each other a pat on the back and build up everyone instead of talking trash, stop making this "3pm by the playground flagpole" fighting

If everyone continues to spew allegations the only thing you are producing is a bad reputation for yourself and the hosting community in general.

Think first then speak. Remember that order

:God:

Thank You! I have seen so many negative posts on this from hosts to hosts. Even some directed at me but I just smile and go along my way!

:bkick:

My two cents...
Whoever said 18 was the time that you all-of-a-sudden know everything? What matters is the experience and their capability.

Maybe one day I'll form a definite opinion on this, but this is one of those things where I just sit on the fence and watch. I would like to say, without actually entering myself into this argument, that Terms of Service agreed to over the Internet are not valid contracts in many jurisdictions. Therefore, age has little or no bearing on the validity of those contracts in particular.

James said:
And there is nothing wrong with a kid reselling to a few personal clients. It's the whole point of a reseller account. You cannot expect every reseller account holder to be registered tax-paying digital net businesses to be frank.

"Kiddie host" term was created and used by people who feel threatened by these come and go hosts. I say a bigger problem is the number of big reputation hosts providing below-par service.

My community loves me. I live in a small town area and the people arn't exactly "computer literate." But I sell them hosting, and help build there websites/portals/shopping carts. I think its a great way to give back.

GamePhreak said:
Maybe one day I'll form a definite opinion on this, but this is one of those things where I just sit on the fence and watch. I would like to say, without actually entering myself into this argument, that Terms of Service agreed to over the Internet are not valid contracts in many jurisdictions. Therefore, age has little or no bearing on the validity of those contracts in particular.

I have to agree there. Internet documents are too easily forged.

GamePhreak said:

You won't be saying that if a client takes you to court.
Your TOS is the most important document to protect your business from liability.

But as far as I know, if your client doesn't enter into any contract with you when you host them, then your not liable for their website going down or data loss because it wasn't specified in any contract?

Basically, if there is no contract your not required to give/do anything for them, correct? Be gentle, this is just of the top of my head using rational thought.

When you offer a service to a client, they upload their data. They upload their business to you.

If their data becomes corrupt/lost/hacked, or their business goes down because of your services, they could hold you liable. Your terms of service, which a customer agrees to, can protect you from liability.

It is best you discuss your TOS with a lawyer as well.

Kids dont have capital, so they can run out of cash at any time, and wont hesitate to shut down their host in one second. I was scammed of $150 by a "kiddie host". Paypal is still trying to collect money from this scammer. Hope the parents will pay, otherwise he goes straight to jail.

I have to say this used to offend me as well. Although I am not longer underage to run my own business I used to have an old hosting company quite a long time ago when I was at the age of 17. I was constantly bashed on by other webhosts about being run by a "kid". I didn't listen to them and I was even able to keep mine lasting longer than those run by adults. Today I am over the age of 18 and am able to properly fund my webhosting company. Even when I was a "kid" I was able to keep mine running for over a year.

Kids from 16 and up can have capital because they can legally get a job. Only problem I see with kiddie hosts is that its not technically legal for them to have the company.

I am a lttle under 18 (im 15). I am a programmer (PHP + MySql). I have funding (programming and upkeep of Ron Lewis Construction site, (more than dubble pays for server bill.... I over charge :smile:). I am homeschooled. My parrents "legaly" own my company. I am on the computer 18*7 (6-7 hours of sleep) which all of the time I provide support. The other 6 hours, a friend on the other side of the world provides support for me. So Whats the big deal with being under 18 and running all aspects of a company???
BTW: I have offered web hosting for over 2.5 years (coming closer to 3 every day).

Last edited:
You are completely correct and I see what you mean. If you are a host and saying that someone else is a kiddie host without really knowing, you are showing how bad of a business man you really are because of the jelously showne.

222chris222 said:
I am a lttle under 18 (im 15). I am a programmer (PHP + MySql). I have funding (programming and upkeep of Ron Lewis Construction site, (more than dubble pays for server bill.... I over charge :smile:). I am homeschooled. My parrents "legaly" own my company. I am on the computer 18*7 (6-7 hours of sleep) which all of the time I provide support. The other 6 hours, a friend on the other side of the world provides support for me. So Whats the big deal with being under 18 and running all aspects of a company???
BTW: I have offered web hosting for over 2.5 years (coming closer to 3 every day).
Wow. What a childhood man. No offense, but I was playing football with friends, going out to parties, and just having fun when I was 15. It seems kind of a waste to spend it on the computer...

Oh, so you dont think I dont go snowboarding once a week durring the winter with 20 friends? Well, I did not say anything about that :smile: When ever I want to do something, I just let my friend across the world know and he does support. But, your right. I am cutting my support hours. All of my paying clients will be receiving free support upgrades.
BTW: I cannot play football, wrestle (surgery will pull apart), drink, do drugs or anything else that may make me puke... I cannot, I would just gag, and if it was alcohol posioning (drunk), I would just die. (surgury did that... 3 surgurys later: im good, but i just hang out now... I only run 8 miles a day now, instead of half marathons. So if I dont wanna go to partys, thats why :( . I do wressle anyways though :). Durring the summer, I take friends out wakeboardign weekly. So in a sence, Yeah What a Childhood. You know what, thats my new signature.)

Last edited:
A web hosting company is never tested by its good times, but how it handles the inevitable technical disasters and other problems it runs into as it grows. It is the depth of planning and resources that determine what company wins, and what company loses.

The question is can a minor that has to focus also on studies and other activities be available 24x7 to meet that challenge? Can a minor without any help from an older individual with experience in business handling, financial handling, disaster planning, etc be able to build a company with depth? If you have an older partner in business, you can form a very good partnership because while the older partner would exhibit maturity in business planning and be there 24x7, the younger partner can come out with uninhibited ideas that could make the business click with customers

There is a difference between freelancing and the service industry. When you are freelancing, you can choose your working hours and no client depends on you 24x7 for after-sale support. In web hosting, remember you are supporting the livelihoods of many of your clients. They depend on you 24x7 to ensure they can earn a living.

To any webhost (especially chris), I have one very simple I want you to ask yourself. If a customer came to you that said the business he wants to host with you is their source of income and livelihood, and is looking for a solid company that values security and reliability... What would you think to yourself. Would you think you are upto the challenge? If you think you are not, no need to say so on this forum or publicly. But i suggest you pause, take a fresh look at your venture and get to work to start planning a proper, well-thought of business plan/model and look for depth so the company never depends on any one individual and can run 24x7.

If you are a single owner, and are outsourcing your support to a professional team.. it is a good idea to let them know of an alternate contact incase something unfortuntate happens to you.. Tell that alternate contact how to dissolve/sell the company if he/she cannot manage it on his or her own. That way the plug wouldn't ever be pulled on your customers and they have enough time to move incase the company is to be dissolved per a plan

Just my thoughts on the "kiddie host" debate. I don't believe in the word kiddie, but I do recognise the difference between a well planned business and an unplanned business.

Last edited:
Back