• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Kiddie Host Accusations

Now see I personally know of some teenagers who are actually a heck of a lot smarter than most older people. Just because they are young, everyone wants to put them down. Now I personally have seen teens and adults start hosting companies, and fail. For the simple fact is, they didnt really have as much of an interest as they thought they would have. Also they quickly realized, they didnt have the means to run the company.

I personally owned a hosting company a few months back, but gave it up, because companies I was going with for servers and things, kept going down. Here in about another month or so, I will be restarting it back up.

As I said, I agree some hosting companies dont stay alive for even a month before they are back down again. However this happens with any age.

Wether they are smart or not isn't the issue, the issue is they aren't actually allowed to do what they are doing, it's against the law in near on every country in the world, so they should be using thier smarts to pass exams and do homework instead of putting thier PARENTS at risk of being sued for liable, or any other number of CRIMES that these MINORS are committing.

Also kids are not legally bound by the TOS they display on their site. That is a contract - and correct me if I am wrong here - but in the US a child can not be bound by a contract unless written permission is given by the parent - OR the contract is bound by the parent as well.

how many parents know that their kid is in the hosting business?

Thanks
Adam

I am going to comment on this first. A company -- doesn't need to be a large business; what is categorized as a large business? You don't need board members and don't need shareholders!

I own Impact Global Communications, LLC - We are a small company, we have one shareholder - which is me. We do have other employees & consultants that work for me. You are confusing the words company and Corporation. But still a corporation can be a small company as well.

Now to the "minor" hosting companies. I hear all the time from minors - that they are doing this for fun, or as a hobby. Not saying all of them do it for this reason.. But think about this for a minute. The companies or people you are hosting - are they doing it as a hobby? maybe or maybe not. Since I deal with mostly companies and not personal sites - I would say no they aren't. Still even if they are doing as a hobby. How much work and dedication are they going to put into their hobby?

I don't mean any disrespect for the minors that are hosters - but like techy said in this post, once customers heard he was a minor - he lost them .. Why? is the tech support bad? Sites go down? Maybe the reason was he was a minor.

Most of the time minors are not taken serious in the "business world". Sometimes I don't take them seriously - I was once a kid too :) (now 31).

My opinion is that minors don't have the responsibility legally to take care of a business. If you have to run to their parents to get money back or to sue -sorry you shouldn't be running a business. Too many loops customers need to go through. PLUS minors know they aren't responsible(legally) so it seems easier for a minor to "close up shop" and move on to a different "hobby"

Thanks,
Adam

What you say is true, but surely you can understand the misuse of this word..
Oh look at me I just started in the hosting business and I'm 12 and never registered as a legal entity but I'm still Bla Bla Company.

I see this on FWS all the time, people shouldn't proclaim their something their not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company

Last edited:
Despite all the legal/mature issues, anyone under 18 has to attend school, meaning they can't dedicate enough time into this business

I agree with the aspect of minors not having the true dedication needed to run a hosting company, but many teens use hosting as a way to start up their true hobbies. First off, buyers that are large corps usually will not buy from small businesses. Secondly, if that large corp were to buy from that small business, surely they would not send a "n00b" from their company to look for a hosting plan/other services that will take care of a good portion of theirs sales! Most large companies stick with the big guys over at NS or other larger companys. Now I understand some of you will reply flaming to me that you have large corps hosted, but I would imagine from all the replies on this topic that you have that 24/7 tech support giving clients piece of mind going thing happening with your company. Contining onward, the web is basicly run by teens believe it or not and many adults feel very threatened by that which cause they to try and shut down these kids. I belive a teen has every right to run a website as to everyone else on the web. When it comes to web hosting, im sure anyone can pick a "kiddie host" out from the good guys, but it takes some research to see what you're really getting. Also, check if the source you are paying too (PayPal account) is varified and has a backup source incase you get scammed off, if not, don't buy.

Now, finally I have to say that teens, like myself, use this experience from web hosting to move on to greater things! It helps up truly know whats behind that server and what makes that website run. It helps us learn HTML skills, PHP coding and in most cases even web design as some of the clients we get are professional coders and designers who are sometimes more then happy to answer questions and such. With this experience, web hosting can lead on to many things including Cisco Networking, which is a course im taking in my vocational high school that I probably wouldn't have been in if I never got myself started in the host business.

Kids have rights to and days are changing. Yes, minors can't "legally" own a business without parent concent and ownership and such, but does that mean we are left in the dust? This is the age of technology, and in most cases the kid picks up the most interest in technology and learns to become very creative with what they learn along the way. I agree that kids shouldn't be dedicating their whole childhood on this, but for some, its the only thing they have found a true interest in and its an eye opener into a very vast career. Also, for many that I personally know, without something like this to cling onto, they would have no interests and would probably end up being one of those bum druggie kids who has nothing better to do with their time.

Many adults support what I do as a host and web designer because I offer personalized attention, and so do many other young adults. Adults shouldn't turn off kids and say "No, you're not old enough, you can't do this." Help these "kiddie hosts" dont shut them down, and again I understand the legal issues, but heres how it goes as many people posted. Adults have the money and time, but kids have the ideas and planning. Combine the both and you have a miracle company. I think we all need to work together! AMEN

Last edited:
I agree with the aspect of minors not having the true dedication needed to run a hosting company, but many teens use hosting as a way to start up their true hobbies. First off, buyers that are large corps usually will not buy from small businesses. Secondly, if that large corp were to buy from that small business, surely they would not send a "n00b" from their company to look for a hosting plan/other services that will take care of a good portion of theirs sales! Most large companies stick with the big guys over at NS or other larger companys. Now I understand some of you will reply flaming to me that you have large corps hosted, but I would imagine from all the replies on this topic that you have that 24/7 tech support giving clients piece of mind going thing happening with your company. Contining onward, the web is basicly run by teens believe it or not and many adults feel very threatened by that which cause they to try and shut down these kids. I belive a teen has every right to run a website as to everyone else on the web. When it comes to web hosting, im sure anyone can pick a "kiddie host" out from the good guys, but it takes some research to see what you're really getting. Also, check if the source you are paying too (PayPal account) is varified and has a backup source incase you get scammed off, if not, don't buy.

Now, finally I have to say that teens, like myself, use this experience from web hosting to move on to greater things! It helps up truly know whats behind that server and what makes that website run. It helps us learn HTML skills, PHP coding and in most cases even web design as some of the clients we get are professional coders and designers who are sometimes more then happy to answer questions and such. With this experience, web hosting can lead on to many things including Cisco Networking, which is a course im taking in my vocational high school that I probably wouldn't have been in if I never got myself started in the host business.

Kids have rights to and days are changing. Yes, minors can't "legally" own a business without parent concent and ownership and such, but does that mean we are left in the dust? This is the age of technology, and in most cases the kid picks up the most interest in technology and learns to become very creative with what they learn along the way. I agree that kids shouldn't be dedicating their whole childhood on this, but for some, its the only thing they have found a true interest in and its an eye opener into a very vast career. Also, for many that I personally know, without something like this to cling onto, they would have no interests and would probably end up being one of those bum druggie kids who has nothing better to do with their time.

Many adults support what I do as a host and web designer because I offer personalized attention, and so do many other young adults. Adults shouldn't turn off kids and say "No, you're not old enough, you can't do this." Help these "kiddie hosts" dont shut them down, and again I understand the legal issues, but heres how it goes as many people posted. Adults have the money and time, but kids have the ideas and planning. Combine the both and you have a miracle company. I think we all need to work together! AMEN

Great, but you're entirely missing the point, wether you're good or not isn't it, wether you learn from it or not isn't it, wether it's morally right or not isn't it, the point is that what you are doing is breaking the law, you're putting other peoples incomes at risk, if you ---- up, you could be taking the food from a childs mouth, that's the point, wat you're doing isn't actually allowed, it's illegal, so no matter how you dress it up you should not be doing it.

I don't see what point is missing insofar as legality is concerned, why don't you call up City Hall and ask them what do they have against minors having business dealings. Also from a trouble standpoint everything is fine and dandy if the parents know and are able to accept responsibility for what their child may do.

I don't need to call anyone, there's nothing they can do, it's parents responsabilities to look after thier children, not the states, as such parents shouldn't be helping thier children break laws.

nope, wrong

Federal Prohibitions Adopted by California

Minors under 16 MAY NOT be employed or permitted to work in the following occupations prohibited by federal regulation and adopted by inclusion by the state of California [LC 1294.1, 29 CFR 570.33]:

• Manufacturing, mining, or processing occupations, including duties of any kind in workrooms or workplaces where goods are manufactured, mined, or processed.
• Occupations that involve the operation or tending of a hoisting apparatus or of any power-driven machinery other than office machines.
• The operation of motor vehicles or service as helpers on such vehicles.
• Public messenger service.
• Occupations in connection with:

• Transportation of persons or property by rail, highway, air, water, pipeline, or other means;
• Warehousing and storage;
Communications and public utilities;
• Construction, including demolition and repair.

they're too young to enter legally binding contracts, simple as that.

Last edited:
nope, wrong

they're too young to enter legally binding contracts, simple as that.

Looks like California's laws to me :confused4. And everyone knows California is more crooked than a ran over parking meter. :lol:

It's federal law, adopted by Canada as state law, as it says in the quote, it's the same the world over.

K Joe, you win this one from me :p

I myself just offer services to the locals in my area and some of my online, so whether that's illegal or not doesn't matter since Im not getting involved with corps and general public till im at legal age for that ;)

I understand your points when it comes to the money and how the child does not have the backup finances if the services he provides are not up to par and how that can lead to lawsuits.

Best of luck to all those teens getting their companies up - suggestion of course to them from me is to check with parents first and start off small selling to friends/family only when it comes to selling services ;)

Regards to all,
Pat

Last edited:
Really? Georgia Law says differently. Minors 14-15 years old may not work in communications. 16-17 year olds however can. Thats taken right off the Department of Labor website for Geogia/Federal Child Labor Laws.

EDIT: I just saw KRAK, that the other law you posted doesn't affect me either cause I'm 17.

16 year olds aren't children, there's no problem with anyone over 16 running a business if they like, and have the ability to do so.

It's 13,14, and 15 year olds that worry me.

Back