• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Msnm [vs] Aim [vs] Yim

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
This is yet another opinion topic that i have started...

Here we will discuss whether or not people like one major Instant Message Company/Program than the other. (NOTICE: You cannot use third-party software; like, Trillian, etc.) This topic will give you a better idea what has happened in the past, present, and what may come in the future. I will start us off with some basic qualities of the Instant Messaging Softwares.

MSN Messenger

• Somewhat reliable, but has frequent downtimes.
  • Thousands of users use this program, but not the vast majority; if you want to look up a user just use the MSN User Search (However, the user you search for may not use MSN Messenger.)
  • Does NOT have a stable Web version of the program which the company has made and hosts on their own servers. (AIM has one of these. You can look at the web version of MSN Messenger that is under development now at: http://www.msnger.com/ )
  • MSN Messenger may have animated gif support for display pictures in the near future.
  • Not easy to sign-up with (i.e: no sign-up page right on the messenger.msn.com site for users NOT using msn.com or hotmail.com suffixs.)
  • Changable SCN.
AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) (Also known for using the word AIM as if aiming at something.)

• Reliable, no recordered downtimes on my side.
  • Millions of users, can actually search right from the AIM prompt for users within your fields of interests (I think) otherwise, use the www.aim.com site or www.aol.com site.
  • HAS a stable web version. View it by going to: http://www.aim.com then clicking on AIM Express on the left NAV Bar.
  • AIM has animated GIF support.
  • Sign-up right at www.aim.com
YIM (Yahoo Instant Messenger)

• Reliable, no recorded downtimes on my side. (only some lost passwords)
  • Thousands [TO] Millions of users; you can see them in the user directory.
  • Has a stable web version. chat.yahoo.com (one to one chat availible)
  • Support for animated gifs.
  • have to be a yahoo user. (only downfall really.)
  • Changable SCN (kind of like MSNM)
If you want, you can post stuff about ICQ or IRC.

I'm open to any concerns or questions.

There was a technical error at about 19:00 (or 7:00) CST/CDT the problem continued until I finally figured it out. (Read Below) (This happened both on MSNM and AIM.)

The Technical Error was resolved at about 20:49 (8:49 PM) CST/CDT. The problem was due to the fact I had my Norton Personal Firewall enabled. If this continues... I WILL NOT use AIM, YIM, ICQ, Trillian, IRC, or MSNM for the rest of my days. (I have to disable NPF whenever I want to connect to MSNM/AIM.)

When/What in the Firewall Error Occured:

AIM - When upgraded to 5.x.xxxxxx
MSNM - When I upgraded.

so when will google enter the IM market? should be interesting if they do.

To me, it's a matter of preference, convenience and what my friends use. My friends all use MSN, so I use MSN.

There are all around one, anyone use those. A messanger system that can contact anyone other type. I know ICQ can be used to talk with an AIM user, i used to do this a while ago, i dont know if that is still a feature.

Msn

MSN Doesnt have frequent downtime, Im constantly logged in and ive only experienced about 2 times where MSN was down EVER...

Yes millions of people do use MSN, i dont know where you got thousands from considering everyone i know uses msn not aim or yahoo...

There USED to be a web verison but msn removed it because people used it wrongly.

Why does animated gif support matter...?

http://passport.net

Master_tee said:
MSN Doesnt have frequent downtime, Im constantly logged in and ive only experienced about 2 times where MSN was down EVER...

Yes millions of people do use MSN, i dont know where you got thousands from considering everyone i know uses msn not aim or yahoo...

There USED to be a web verison but msn removed it because people used it wrongly.

Why does animated gif support matter...?

http://passport.net
I personally have frequent downtime with MSN Messenger, however I believe it has something to do with my router being set to drop alll WAN pings.

Animated gif support would be one of the last things I would want in an IM client, it's nothing but a nuisance.

I use AIM the most, because thats were most of my friends are. I think AIM is the winner of the best IM client, jsut because of its populiarity. You can ask someone for their screen name and you'll get their AIM s/n, not Yahoo/MSN/ICQ.

I use AIM, MSN, and ICQ. Why I still use ICQ is past me, no one does anymore, but I do use a third party program that manages them all (3 AIM, 2 MSN, 1 ICQ, occasional IRC)

With the addition of MSNM 6.2.2:
  • WYSIWYG style. Still some problems though. >_<
  • CRTL+I gives you a tab.
  • MSN Plus Features STILL not incorperated to full degree.
that's about all i know of since i upgraded.

AIM features are still the same, unfortunately.

I use aim the most because most friends use it. I do like MSN the most because of all the features.

I get disconnected from MSN ~2 times a day.

Might be because I'm using gaim though...

those are not all of aim features. :rolleyes: you mostly forgot direct-connect, file transfer, avatar option, crappy games, warning system, alerts, chatrooms, talk, and a bunch of other useless scruff. and i believe msn has logging?

the only drawbacks to aim are its limitations on profiles, buddy list quota, and no logging (on the main package, not including mac version).

does anyone know why msn doesn't log into aim server anymore, or communicate with aim anymore?

(and icq-aim chatting is a recent feature. mostly possible since aim bought icq some years back. icq had everything, much more and much before aim and msn. it was just a bit slow (starting up and logging on) and a tad cluttery. and now the ads are a nuisance :()

Last edited:
Back