• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My FWS public apology...

I'm running on Ubuntu now. You set the screen resolution options your monitor can support in Setup, then you go to System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution or something like that.
Internet connection settings should have been configured during setup.
And "wrong" doesn't make sense. Wrong how? The graphics were messed up (distortion, incorrect colorization [rainbows perhaps?])
Ubuntu takes about a minute and a half to start up for me. Windows, about 2 or 3.
Sounds like you messed up your install. :)

Yeah, i actually went to the screen resoultion place and it didnt work. Only one crappy option. The internet connection was not set up on install. By 'wrong' i meant because of the screen res, you could only see the top half of the program. Man that was annoying.

Some computers do that and along with what Matt8 said. You may need to look into a new driver or computer.

Yeah, GNOME, the default environment for Ubuntu, sucks ---. I installed kubuntu, the KDE package for Ubuntu (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) and added the resolutions I wanted in the xorg.conf file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) and it worked fine.
Internet connection must be a driver problem, as Matt8 said.

I didn't like Ubuntu the one time I played around with it... there's no root. WTF?

I mean, yes, you can type sudo before any root command, but that seems to be a poor implementation to me.

I'll stick to Fedora...

I have a root account... maybe I set it up differently. I also had to manually add my user account to the sudo allow list or whatever.

Well I didn't play around with it much, and what experience with it I did have was the first release, so things may have changed and I may have missed some things as well.

It may be possible to enable the root account, but I know that it comes (came?) disabled by default.

Yes, it definitely comes disabled by default. Ubuntu is marketed towards the Lindows crowd. I just like it because they sent me free CDs and it's based on Debian :p

Romeo18 said:
Some computers do that and along with what Matt8 said. You may need to look into a new driver or computer.

What? My PC's only 6 months old and is still under next day to door warranty.

Dude, you've got a Dell! :rolleyes:

Prebuilt systems in which you really don't know what they're putting in there are notorious for having driver problems. It's almost always like that.

Back