• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need New Connection..

Mr. Dogg

I have a choice of either getting a new phone line, a DSL Service, or a Cable Service. I will probably be getting the cheapest. The cheapest I I have found is that a phone line will be 15 per month, a DSL will be 40 per month and Cable 30..anyone know anything cheaper. And what would be the best to get? Thanks

I don't mind my upload speed being capped that much. When I download, I get anywhere from 1.5-3 Mb. When I upload, it's closer to about 128-300 Kb. Considering I'd have to spend at least double to get the same download speed from a DSL service, I am pretty happy. I really don't do that much uploading anyway, and it's still relatively fast when I do.

Stick with DSL... it is much more reliable than Cable... though in Argentina, it is nearly $80/Monthly it is better than paying $130/Monthly in Phone Bills on an Dial Up Service.

Originally posted by Coolin
Originally posted by Rodie
1.5-3 Mb
Is that Megabytes per second or Mega bits per second?

1.5 Megabits. I thought the abbreviation for megabits was Mb, and megabytes was MB. Of course, I was probably wrong. If I was getting 1.5 Megabyte/sec downloads I would feel so guilty for hogging that much bandwith :), well not really heh

Cable generally gives you more bang for your buck when it works as it's supposed to. Theoretically it's capable of 10 mbps transfers, but most of the time, it should work somewhere between 1.5-3 mbps (that's megabits). For the same price as cable (30 bucks a month w/o a modem rental since we bought it), the highest DSL plan we could get would be 384 kbps, which hardly even compares to my cable when it's working right.

there is always isdn.. (i think everyone forgot about that)

it is $20 in my area.. 128k.. about 16kbytes/sec and if you are lucky 20kbytes/sec downloads

Originally posted by Jerry
there is always isdn.. (i think everyone forgot about that)

it is $20 in my area.. 128k.. about 16kbytes/sec and if you are lucky 20kbytes/sec downloads
Yeah, and if you double the amount of money, you could get cable with 200kbytes/sec downloads with FlashGet. I wonder which is a better deal...

Originally posted by LeX
Cable sux once it gets too many users. [/B]
I live in an area where no one has dial-up. And it's still pretty darn fast for me. [/B]
Right... and what's the population of the area you live in? I live in a densely populated area, so cable isn't for me.

But cable would still be better than dialup in densly populated places would it not?

cable is not yet available where i am, and dialup is slow. Make due with what you can get. If money is no object get the fastest you can.

Because everyone in a certain neighbourhood uses the same cable line. A cable line has a 10 mbps capacity. A neighbourhood with a dense population probably has more cable users. And a neighbourhood with less population probably has less cable users. If 100 users used cable at the same time, that 10mbps will be split up so it equates to 0.1mbps per user. That means you will download at about 12Kbytes/sec. If there are 10 users of cable in your neighbourhood, each one will have 1mbps. That means you'll download at 120kbytes/sec. Which one is faster?

Don't use Cable... DSL is much, much more reliable... and its speed doesn't fraction when there are many people using the service like cable does.

Cable at it's slowest isn't much slower than DSL. Cable at it's fastest will beat DSL all the time. I recommmend cable internet if you don't live in an area with a dense population full of people who use cable internet. For you, it's cheaper anyways. (It's the same price where I live)

Because everyone in a certain neighbourhood uses the same cable line. A cable line has a 10 mbps capacity. A neighbourhood with a dense population probably has more cable users. And a neighbourhood with less population probably has less cable users. If 100 users used cable at the same time, that 10mbps will be split up so it equates to 0.1mbps per user. That means you will download at about 12Kbytes/sec. If there are 10 users of cable in your neighbourhood, each one will have 1mbps. That means you'll download at 120kbytes/sec. Which one is faster?

Hmm, it would probably be more accurate to say that the maximum speed you can get through coaxial cable is 10 mbps. I think most cable providers carry their signals over fiber-optic lines where the signal then gets converted and placed into analog coaxial cable and then that lines comes into your house, where it's split up amongst your TV's and your cable modem. There are also probably OC3 lines and other high-bandwith media which the signal travels through from the provider's internet network out to the internet.

And it's also really hard to guesstimate what your bandwith will be dependent on how many users there are on a single node. For a lot of factors such as most cable infrastructure's being full-duplex, and just that bandwith isn't evenly divided about dependent on how many users there are.

I had Cable before, and it was much slower than the DSL Service I am using now... strange but true. Cable can become very slow... and it is way to insecure even with a firewall. I suggest you get DSL at all costs, it has an non-static IP Address.

Back