• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Networking Using XP

jason120au

I have followed XP's network setup wizard, which was fine and it came up and listed the other computer on the network. When I tryed to view the data on that computer, it says, you are not authorised to view it. This has happened, when I try to get into my work group as well, what could I be doing wrong that could be causing that? The troubleshooter seems to think that both computers have the same name of which they don't.

Make sure they don't have the same IP.

Are they both using XP?

Make sure you have set the proper permissions.

Try and disable 3rd-party firewalls, they may also be a problem.

Originally posted by jason120au
I have followed XP's network setup wizard, which was fine and it came up and listed the other computer on the network. When I tryed to view the data on that computer, it says, you are not authorised to view it. This has happened, when I try to get into my work group as well, what could I be doing wrong that could be causing that? The troubleshooter seems to think that both computers have the same name of which they don't.

I need to know how your setup is. What equipment you are using? A hub? A router?

I'm just networking two computers together using a cross over cable and two normal 10/100 network cards. One is a PCI one and the other is on-board. Both computers have WinXP Professional.

Are the systems using the same workgroup name AND are the C drives being shared?

I assume you can already ping one another.

C drives not being shared. One was, but I removed the sharing priledges. I can ping one computer, but that other computer can't ping the other computer, IE computer A can ping Computer B but Computer B can't ping computer A.

Originally posted by jason120au
C drives not being shared. One was, but I removed the sharing priledges. I can ping one computer, but that other computer can't ping the other computer, IE computer A can ping Computer B but Computer B can't ping computer A.

First tell us if you can reach the other Computer, do this:

Execute --> cmd (ENTER)

Command Line:

ipconfig = this will tell you your Machine IP

Now, on the other Computer open the Command line a do the Following:

Ping -t 192.168.2.42 (Change it for the IP of the Other Machine)

If you can ping it that would be the Firewall, or a Misconfigure Network...

Cheers :)

I managed to get my network working and I can copy files two and from each computer, the only problem is that when Zone Alarm is on I can't access the computer on the network. How can I set Zone Alarm to leave local network access alone and only do its stuff on Internet connections?

Back